PDA

View Full Version : JBL L-212 with no amp Amp

prellinger
12-26-2013, 11:55 PM
I purchased a JBL L212 set, but is missing the Amp for the sub, Are they hard to find?

rdgrimes
12-27-2013, 06:07 AM
I'd say impossible, short of finding another complete unit. Its also a pretty unique unit in that it uses only speaker-level input and was meant to run in parallel with the satellites. Its also a structural component of the Ultrabass cabinet.

SEAWOLF97
12-27-2013, 08:54 AM
I purchased a JBL L212 set, but is missing the Amp for the sub, Are they hard to find?

I've seen a couple of L-212 sets with M&K subs. While I do have a working UB212, the seller claimed that the amp had been rebuilt.

If you split the signal off to a dedicated surplus amp/receiver to run it, the gain can be adjusted to taste.

macaroonie
12-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Here's the poop sheet

www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/.../en-US/.../L212%20sm.pdf‎

Rather than trying to hunt down an amp module it might work to use two power amps with built in electronic filtering for a sub.

The QSC GX3 has this feature only prob is that there is no readily switchable bridge mode for the bass amp. I'll bet a call to QSC will get that rigged up.

For the panels the GX3 is more or less ideal with filtering at 100Hz.

Perhaps the new Crown equivalents will allow bridging for the sub? :dont-know:

JuniorJBL
12-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Why not make a filler panel and get a PE plate amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332

Robh3606
12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
The L212 bass module uses a sealed box so there is some EQ involved. Looking at the sheets in the library it uses about 10db of boost at 25hz. You would need to replicate the curve to get flat response. You would also have to limit the power. While the driver is quite a beast it cannot handle that much power down low. It has limited X-Max. Many of these systems were run with a pair of these modules.

You might be better off getting an amp that has DSP as previously mentioned but keep in mind the power handling so if you go this way don't get a big amp, system can't handle it. Get a amp with a limiter so you can experiment and not over drive the sub.

Rob:)

prellinger
12-28-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm going to start by cleaning up the cabinets and grills. I could use help on picking a Amp for the base.
I see parts express has a 100 watt. Its the lowest watt I found.