PDA

View Full Version : Which would you buy for $2800 $CAN; 4430 or replica cabinet 4435?

Ed Zeppeli
12-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I have happened upon two pair of speakers that I'm trying to decide upon.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/936589_10151757820076076_754312344_n.jpg

...or

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1504040_10151757820921076_1779293103_n.jpg

All drivers are original and both pairs are said to be in very good condition. All woofers have been re-foamed and look good from the pictures but I have yet to view them in person.

The 4430s have the original cabs but the 4435s have replica cabinets built. Apparently they are made from baltic birch to JBL plans. He has also made some blue grill covers for them.

I believe each pair could be had for the above mentioned price. ( stuff's expensive here in Canada. lol)

Which pair would you go for given the choice?

Thanks,

Warren

SEAWOLF97
12-17-2013, 07:01 PM
I'd say do some critical comparison listening tests.

then decide how long you plan to keep whatever you buy.

If the 4435 sound better and you'll keep them forever...then...it's easy

If the 4430 sounds better and you change speakers often ... then...easy too

IMHO ..the home built cabs won't hold value as well (if you turnover speakers a lot), if you are keeping for rest of your life then cabs make no difference. :dont-know:

Ed Zeppeli
12-17-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd say do some critical comparison listening tests.

then decide how long you plan to keep whatever you buy.

If the 4435 sound better and you'll keep them forever...then...it's easy

If the 4430 sounds better and you change speakers often ... then...easy too

IMHO ..the home built cabs won't hold value as well (if you turnover speakers a lot), if you are keeping for rest of your life then cabs make no difference. :dont-know:

I'll keep them, (whichever I choose) for a long time but I do like the idea of original JBL and am considering the end value just in case I decide to sell. Those 4435s are magnificent SOBs though, aren't they? :)

rdgrimes
12-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Might just be the photo, but the staining on the 4435 cab looks pretty blotchy to my eye. Also looks like some sort of glossy finish. Not my cup of tea, but they might still sound like the real deal.

richluvsound
12-18-2013, 12:57 AM
The 4435's are an amazing sounding speaker ,but the cabinets are awful . Thats dead money in a box …. the 4430 are nice ,but seem to be on the high side in terms of price …. Just my opinion ,but neither seem to be a bargain or even good deal ….. unless the 4430's come from Electric Lady land studios !

I'd keep searching if it were me !

Rich

Ed Zeppeli
12-18-2013, 04:47 AM
The 4435's are an amazing sounding speaker ,but the cabinets are awful . Thats dead money in a box …. the 4430 are nice ,but seem to be on the high side in terms of price …. Just my opinion ,but neither seem to be a bargain or even good deal ….. unless the 4430's come from Electric Lady land studios !

I'd keep searching if it were me !

Rich

Yes, I may just keep searching for the better deal.

Lee in Montreal
12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
First, I think that $2800 for a set of 4430 is perhaps farfetched. They often come up for way under $1000.000... Then, would I pay $2800 for a set of replica 4435? Nop. I'd lower the price down to to the price of components and wait to find a set of original cabs. They are often dismantled by people who sell the woofers and tweeters on eBay... A replica remains a replica and will be difficult to sell now. And tomorrow.

Chas
12-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I have to agree with Lee, $2800 is a lot of money. These days $1200-2000 for a nice pair of 4430's in Canada, I should think. Although lately there does seem to be a lot of folks looking for some. It kind of reminds me of the frenzied buying of 434X systems years ago. Maybe now we are witnessing a supply/demand thing happening.

Lee in Montreal
12-18-2013, 12:44 PM
A member here, from Montreal, bought last year a set of 4430s for $700 thru kijiji. Which is where you should start searching. And that's where scavengers find the stuff they resell on audio forums for $2800...

SEAWOLF97
12-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I bought my 250Ti's in Vancouver B.C. for 2K US a couple of years back .. great condition

and sold my second set to a buyer who did not mind driving down from BC to Oregon for the right pair.

(same price, but last year)

Ed Zeppeli
12-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I have to agree with Lee, $2800 is a lot of money. These days $1200-2000 for a nice pair of 4430's in Canada, I should think. Although lately there does seem to be a lot of folks looking for some. It kind of reminds me of the frenzied buying of 434X systems years ago. Maybe now we are witnessing a supply/demand thing happening.

Yes. I'm not seeing many for sale at all. Especially in the Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary area.

Ed Zeppeli
12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
hit this link daily ==>> http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/search.php?keywords=jbl&sortby=created_desc&page=1

customize for your search radius , unless you already are ...in which case ignore this post. :crying:

Thanks. I've been hitting it twice a day now since the hunt began. One pair in Edmonton but the owner was super-flakes.

Don C
12-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I thought that the frequency response of these two systems was the same, with the significant difference being the maximum output level. So the answer to the question of which is better depends only on how loud you want them to play. Are you putting them in an unusually large room?

Ed Zeppeli
12-18-2013, 03:28 PM
4435s go lower and are more dramatic looking. 4430 is the more prudent choice but the '35s are closer to home.

Chas
12-18-2013, 05:57 PM
4435s go lower and are more dramatic looking. 4430 is the more prudent choice but the '35s are closer to home.
I would propose a pair of 4430's with a subwoofer. This what I use in my HT. 4435's take up a lot of real estate....

richluvsound
12-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks. I've been hitting it twice a day now since the hunt began. One pair in Edmonton but the owner was super-flakes.

I have family in Edmonton and friends in Calgary that can help ease your fears -handle money and verify the components and quality if this helps ED ?

Best , Rich

Lee in Montreal
12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Audio forum classifieds, such as CanuckAudioMart, is the end of the speculative line, and where you'll pay full enthusiast price. From yard sale to Kijiji to audio forum. Many non-enthusiasts scavengers bring their stuff there to maximize profit. Be carefull from whom you buy. Always search first in the feedback section.

HCSGuy
12-19-2013, 10:00 PM
When I got my 4430's, the guy I bought them from had 4435's for sale as well and we listened to them both. The 4435's were a little louder, but I thought the 4430's imaged better. However, when he played Rush and cranked them louder than I care to have listened, the 4435's really took off - really tight, quick bass that I won't ever forget. However, these were at concert levels that were probably 20db above what I play, and way into long term hearing damage territory. We turned up the 4430's also, to a lower level that was still within XMax, but it was obvious that the 4435's were the one if you wanted to recreate a rock concert. However, I didn't, and really liked the 4430's imaging and price (paid $2k for the 4430's and he was asking $3,750 for the 4435's). I've rarely regretted my decision - I've listened to the speakers in 5 or 6 different rooms over the years in my different living places or offices, and 4435's would have only fit in two of them. I rarely listen to them now as other members here have helped me assemble higher resolution systems, but if TruExtent ever releases a Beryllium diaphragm for the small format drivers, this is probably the speaker I will put it in first, and blow dust off the active crossover for some playtime:)

I don't know if this helps, but my advice would be to hold out for a mint pair of whatever you can afford, as it's always hard to get your money back out of beaters - the only takers you'll find will be low-ballers.

Ed Zeppeli
12-20-2013, 06:40 AM
I would propose a pair of 4430's with a subwoofer. This what I use in my HT. 4435's take up a lot of real estate....

Yes. That DOES sound promising!

I have family in Edmonton and friends in Calgary that can help ease your fears -handle money and verify the components and quality if this helps ED ?

Best , Rich

Thank you. Very kind.

Audio forum classifieds, such as CanuckAudioMart, is the end of the speculative line, and where you'll pay full enthusiast price. From yard sale to Kijiji to audio forum. Many non-enthusiasts scavengers bring their stuff there to maximize profit. Be carefull from whom you buy. Always search first in the feedback section.

Yes. That's why I was looking in areas where I could try to audition them first. As mentioned, I've already come across a flake or two.

When I got my 4430's, the guy I bought them from had 4435's for sale as well and we listened to them both. The 4435's were a little louder, but I thought the 4430's imaged better. However, when he played Rush and cranked them louder than I care to have listened, the 4435's really took off - really tight, quick bass that I won't ever forget. However, these were at concert levels that were probably 20db above what I play, and way into long term hearing damage territory. We turned up the 4430's also, to a lower level that was still within XMax, but it was obvious that the 4435's were the one if you wanted to recreate a rock concert. However, I didn't, and really liked the 4430's imaging and price (paid $2k for the 4430's and he was asking $3,750 for the 4435's). I've rarely regretted my decision - I've listened to the speakers in 5 or 6 different rooms over the years in my different living places or offices, and 4435's would have only fit in two of them. I rarely listen to them now as other members here have helped me assemble higher resolution systems, but if TruExtent ever releases a Beryllium diaphragm for the small format drivers, this is probably the speaker I will put it in first, and blow dust off the active crossover for some playtime:)

I don't know if this helps, but my advice would be to hold out for a mint pair of whatever you can afford, as it's always hard to get your money back out of beaters - the only takers you'll find will be low-ballers.

Yes that helps. I appreciate it thanks. I really do want something original and in excellent condition.

audiomagnate
12-20-2013, 08:57 AM

That's what I would do. Or better yet two. Vintage Lansing + modern high quality sub(s) = audio bliss