View Full Version : D130 age and surround goop

12-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi all
I'm new here
I'm a guitarist and I quite like the sound of JBLs in the little amps I make
I have 3 D123s and a D130 right now...I did have a few D120s but as they were quite heavy and didn't blow me away soncially at the time ..I sold them... and of course now regret it.
I really like the D123s though, sweet clean sound!

Anywho the D130 I have is one made for Hifi use, labelled 16 ohms but actually 8
Original paper cone and paper surround (or factory recone) with a 130-202 code on it, aluminum dust cover and no surround goop!
Serial # 25507
I'm using it with a 15 watt tweed deluxe/vibrolux (in transition from on to the other hahaha) that I made

The D130 is in excellent shape both cosmetically and otherwise, has the badge on the magnet and nary a mark on it. I paid $75 for it
I would however like to find the JBL goop or the closest alternative to put on the surround to keep it from the inevitable cracking.
What are people using?
Is the original 'goop' still available?

I'd read many places that on speakers in general a lot of people use rubber cement (elmers or similar)
for paper surrounds

Any ideas, comments?

Mr. Widget
12-15-2013, 05:30 PM
You will find some info here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?26654-I-found-the-JBL-quot-Goop-quot-guy-!!!

It doesn't fully answer your question but Harvey who was at ground zero at JBL during the time these drivers were developed had posted some interesting and related posts there.


12-16-2013, 02:16 AM
I checked out that thread,thanks. A lot of neat information but as you suggested, no definitive answer.
Anybody have an idea for a decent alternative?,
As long as it's close in function and looks the part too
Wouldn't mind this speaker's surround to have some longevity as well as preserving it's resale value
Anybody have experience with rubber cement?
I guess I could also ask the local guys who're pretty good what they use.They do some older JBL stuff
I just thought it would be neat to hunt down the original stuff, or a close alternative

01-03-2014, 01:54 AM
A pity
No information
Can anyone suggest a better place to get some information on what would be a good substance to use on a paper speaker surround?
I'd like to give the speaker a little more longevity without altering it's sound too much.
Also I'd like to use something that would look reasonably original and not adversely affect it's resale value in case I end up selling it one day

Any ideas of a good place/forum to seek that information??

Earl K
01-03-2014, 04:36 AM
You could register & ask your "goop" question at AudioKarma .

GordonW might see it & answer .

Also, Google "Airflex 400" (https://www.google.ca/search?q=Airflex+400&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source%3F}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&gws_rd=cr&ei=OK7GUseuMOyAygHw_YDoBw).

OTOH, the stuff you're after ( once shipping is included with the original cost , and duties added , plus HST ) is likely going to blow your perceived budget .

Your best bet is to simply have Vancouver Audio Speaker Clinic attend to the needs of that speaker .

<> EarlK

01-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Well one can only try
I should just phone them and ask what they use and or if they could sell me some
Good idea
I remember David Lee gave me a little tube of JBL fixit stuff once to use on another speaker
nice guy, too bad he's gone
hmm their website seems to be down

Earl K
01-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Well one can only try
I should just phone them and ask what they use and or if they could sell me some
Good idea
I remember David Lee gave me a little tube of JBL fixit stuff once to use on another speaker
nice guy, too bad he's gone
hmm their website seems to be down

Hi ,

I think that what one should do when working with a budget limitation ( such as a guitar player might have ) is be willing to experiment .

For instance, one could go to any local reconer and ask for some of their toss-away cones ( the ones they must cut out of a clients woofer before the new kit is put in ) .

Use these old cones to experiment on ( while creating a home-made edge treatment ) .

Then ( as a start ) explore the ( magic of the ) cosmetic industry to see what type of wonderful goo they have available ( that is paint on & retains good flexibility over the long term ) . ( Some ) products for finger-nail health come to mind .

Sally Hansen's ; "NO MORE BREAKS" or "THICKEN UP" are two products that I've experimented with ( to stiffen the floppy spiders of old JBL le14a woofers ) . It does stiffen / but the treatment also fills the tiny gaps in the spiders linen weave ( which concerned me enough to abandon the project ) .


- I'd suggest buying something like these products & then experimenting with different densities of application ( on your cast-off cone paper ).
- See if you can create an ad-hoc surround goop of your own ( if you are brave ) .
- You'll need to research which ( cheap ) diluting agents work with these nail-products . Typically, acetone seems to be popular amongst this crowd .

Be aware ( even if you discover a great alternative ) that one doesn't get something for nothing . Adding an edge treatment will subtlety change the sonic character of the speaker ( since some of the sound waves will get damped more-so than others by the treatment ). Generally, some mid-range "colour" is said to change.