PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Own If You Can't Have JBL?

bill8888
12-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Okay, if you have about $3,000 for a pair of speakers but you can't buy JBL, what would you buy? Here's my list:
1. Klipschorn (or Belle Klipsch or La Scala)
2. Altec A7 VOTT (or perhaps Model 19)
3. Yamaha NS 1000

BMWCCA
12-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Okay, if you have about $3,000 for a pair of speakers but you can't buy JBL, what would you buy? Here's my list:
3. Yamaha NS 1000
You can't buy JBL, can't find JBLs . . . or don't want JBLs? Or just curious?

I wouldn't think you'd have to spend anywhere near that much money for any of your choices above. About $3000 could put you in to some 44xx 4-ways which should pretty much blow away all of the above. Worked for me!

I know you know better!

Mr. Widget
12-14-2013, 10:15 PM
3. Yamaha NS 1000Odd parameters...

I have owned Klipschorns, La Scalas, DIY Belles, and have heard A-7s a fair amount years ago. I've never heard the Yamahas... so I can't say anything about them.

All of the speakers other than the Yamahas are very high sensitivity speakers. Is this the direction you are interested in? I realize you are not interested in JBLs and there are few JBLs this sensitive, but there are few speakers from others this sensitive either.

Of all of those high sensitivity speakers, I guess I would go with the Model 19s.

If I was looking for any secondhand speakers in that price range, I'd probably look at older Kef or B&W speakers, but these are about as far away from the Klipsch and Altecs you mentioned as is possible.

Widget

Mostlydiy
12-15-2013, 01:41 AM
I bet you could get a decent pair of vintage Tannoy speakers for that kind of money. If thats you cup of tea?

/Mostly

mech986
12-15-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm already starting to go with IMF transmissiion line speakers. I've always been intrigued to try a transmission line with a good JBL woofer and see where it would lead.

BMWCCA
12-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Remember this thread?: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?25280-Altec-Lansing-Model-19-vs-JBL-L300-Summit

Looks appropriate to this discussion, particularly since I believe the OP has L300s. :dont-know:

Mannermusic
12-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Tannoy.

SEAWOLF97
12-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Can't say I've heard any Yamaha monitors

I have some Yammy copies of L100's. All drivers are cast. Great bass and Be tweet that is quite impressive, so I'm rather confident that their higher end monitors could be very nice too.

macaroonie
12-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Tannoy ..... YUP ! Might be fun in a TL cab.

richluvsound
12-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Tannoy !

Oldmics
12-15-2013, 11:53 AM
I would buy some used T.A.D. componets,lumber,hammer and nails and build a home brew. ;)

Oldmics

hlaari
12-15-2013, 12:31 PM
If I did not have JBL
I think at I will go for TAD, B&W or Quad ESL

BeDome
12-16-2013, 10:47 PM
I own Yamaha NS-1000 (stored safely in the garage, for now - not right for the house), NS-5 (the studio monitor version, used in my bedroom every night), and NS-15 (also stored, safely). All of which are incredibly detailed and extremely flat sounding, acoustic suspension speaker systems, however, also extremely inefficient as far as amp power requirements. I like them with highly compressed music, like typical modern rock (please, forget MP3 - not a reasonable source), but with old, well recorded jazz, early rock or live classical, they sound a little constrained and kind of blow, compared to my puny JBLs.

I no longer own large JBL monitors (long story), but I can remember how I felt listening to them, being engaging with all of my music.

I do own JBl 4301b, 4312, and multiples of other JBL Pro, other older Pro Audio stage things I have brought into the house for a time, some DIY using components from the 60s and 70s. They are all very dynamic, very efficient and engaging, but not so flat as the vintage Yamaha studio equipment.

I would prefer the dynamics of the 4312s over any of the Yamahas and the 4301bs as a close second for just pure musicality and shear listening pleasure when exploring the less compressed "older" recordings no matter the genre. Of course neither of those can touch the power of the NS-1000s, but I can sit within two feet of the 4301bs and have a full and amazing sound stage.

To me it is almost like a trade off; do I want really "perfectly flat, detailed" representation of my music or would I prefer extremely detailed, very dynamic, hard hitting and possibly not as purely "flat" sounding music, but a particular style of representation that sounds more LIVE than canned.

Now, I have to admit to another personal preference, as far as movie sound goes - just to keep things fair - recently discovered. I "custom built" Cabaret style cabinets to fit in my available space in my movie room. I am still working over the XOs (mostly there!) but as far as using something "DYNAMIC" and ass kicking for movie watching in my 16 by 22, vaulted ceiling movie room - yeah!.
These are going to be hard to beat! (15, horns, 2405s L&R front with 2-10s, horn, dual 2405s for center, 10s, 2405s rear surround) I am not talking about creating a Hi-FI system for music, but for movies - I am talking about shear gut feel and purity of tone over a wide range of many many different movie mixes. Very pleased with how my movies sound!
And honestly, if I just want to make the floor shake with classic rock, my movie system does OK! With certain recordings, it sounds like there is a live band in the house. I love it!

A great deal of first hand history with live bands to call upon has made me a little difficult to please regarding recorded sound.

I have only owned Tannoy woofers. So as far as commenting on a system, it would be impossible. The Tannoy 15"ers were well detailed at moderate volume.

honkytonkwillie
12-27-2013, 03:09 AM
I'm pretty fond of NHT. I've owned Super Zeros for 15 years or so and love them to death. I've been on the hunt for the NHT 3.3 now for about a year. Shipping is the killer for me as I live in Alaska. I have a seller lined up waiting for me to amass the requisite cash, but as I get close something always seems to suck it away. Last month, $500 to fix the truck that gets me around every day.

This month, a pair of NHT 2.5 for the vacation house in California set me back another $300. But they do not disappoint!

SEAWOLF97
12-27-2013, 08:35 AM

I had some mid-fi Sony TL-1's . Driver was nothing special, but the TL cabinet sure made them sound a lot better than the sum of the components. ;)

Dave_72
12-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Tannoy or ATC.

SEAWOLF97
12-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I'm already starting to go with IMF transmissiion line speakers. I've always been intrigued to try a transmission line with a good JBL woofer and see where it would lead.

I had some mid-fi Sony TL-1's . Driver was nothing special, but the TL cabinet sure made them sound a lot better than the sum of the components. ;)

Hey Mac ..since more than one seem to have had good experiences with transmission line speakers, ...why isn't that design used more ?

Robh3606
12-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Revels

Rob:)

Lee in Montreal
12-28-2013, 12:29 PM
KEF 107/2

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/sastusbulbas/kef1-1.jpg

HCSGuy
12-28-2013, 03:34 PM
KEF 107/2

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/sastusbulbas/kef1-1.jpg

Next time you're down in my area, stop by - I'll give you a pair for cheap:)
-OTOH, I think you have more speakers than I do! As for me, I've got a pair of Sonus Faber Auditor M's that I would have a hard time getting rid of.

Lee in Montreal
12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Next time you're down in my area, stop by - I'll give you a pair for cheap:)
-OTOH, I think you have more speakers than I do! As for me, I've got a pair of Sonus Faber Auditor M's that I would have a hard time getting rid of.I had a set of Kef 105/2 and loved them. Too bad you are in Cali. I would have driven for a pair of 107/2 ;)

HCSGuy
12-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I had a set of Kef 105/2 and loved them. Too bad you are in Cali. I would have driven for a pair of 107/2 ;)

We bitch & moan about lack of support on legacy JBL stuff - I called KEF about 7 or 8yrs ago on these speakers, and was told even back then that they had no spare parts for them and no support. Mine are missing the top grills and I've got too many more exiting projects than opening up the "Coupled Cavity" or whatever they called it to refoam the woofers, though I know of others that have.

robertbartsch
12-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Altec 19s..... I still have a pair after 35 years and love them! GPA makes replacement kits/frams using the factory tooling too....

....none of the other makers including JBL, discussed here can say that, I suppose.

ronaltronics
12-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Happy New Year All......

Would be a little more than $3000.00 dollars...........

Old day picks and grew up with some of these.

Of course Altec Vott

But some more greats.....

Electrovoice Partrician
KLH model nine
Quad ESL
Bozak B-4000

Todays choices

Tannoy Kingdom Royal / Prestige Series
Quad 2905/2911 ESL
PMC MB2 XBD SE

Valentin
12-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Revel f52 is a nice speaker

martin_wu99
01-01-2014, 04:18 AM
Westlake,TAD,REY,Oceanway,and so on.big horn systems:D

svollmer
01-04-2014, 05:13 AM
I've become a huge fan of Legacy Audio. I still have my 1999 Legacy Focus model speaker as my main speakers. There's no foam to rot out on the woofers or mids and no foam behind the tweeters that turns into goop. They're just about indestructible (I've had to replace nothing so far) and I BLAST them occasionally. And they just sound wonderful. My purchase has encouraged three other friends to buy six pairs of Legacy speakers including three of the Focus model and we've all been extremely happy. The Focus of my vintage can be had for around $2,500. Not bad for a very large, well-built, full-range speaker.

Every time I get the upgrade bug, I go listen to Wilson, Thiel, B&W, and the others but still haven't heard anything under $25K that makes me want to pull the trigger. I am jazzed about the new Legacy Aeris though and I drool over the new JBL Everest…..

SEAWOLF97
01-04-2014, 09:30 AM
I really like my Ohm Walsh F's. They are the right size, shape and sound for my environment. Also really happy that they are hand made in the USA/NY.

The walnut cabinetry is great and most all that listen are impressed. I can still email and get tech support from the company president , John S.

downside ? the drivers were made between 1972-84. For my virtual $3000 spend, the driver upgrade to my cabs is how the money would go (plus get newer tents for them) ...

the reviews on the replacement drivers are extremely good and they give you a 60 day "in-home" satisfaction trial and 3 year warranty.

http://www.ohmspeaker.com/legacy-products/f/

cooky1257
01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
$3K won't go far on classic vintage so probably;

Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds
TAD 2401
ATC 50A(100A >3k)
Funktion1 Res2 (I've already got some subs to fill out the bottom end...

Doc Mark
01-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Greetings, All,

Well, I've had to think about this thread, long and hard, but guess, if I couldn't own JBL's, I'd "make do" with a mint set of Altec Model 19's, and call it good. Not perfect, of course, but in the same vein as the JBL-type sound, and some of the 19's warts can be tamed, if memory serves. For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

frank23
01-04-2014, 03:20 PM
If I could have no JBL's, I would be after Tannoy, ATC (active) or Zingali probably. For now everything I listened to did not give me the same satisfaction my JBL's do.

martin_wu99
01-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I've become a huge fan of Legacy Audio. I still have my 1999 Legacy Focus model speaker as my main speakers. There's no foam to rot out on the woofers or mids and no foam behind the tweeters that turns into goop. They're just about indestructible (I've had to replace nothing so far) and I BLAST them occasionally. And they just sound wonderful. My purchase has encouraged three other friends to buy six pairs of Legacy speakers including three of the Focus model and we've all been extremely happy. The Focus of my vintage can be had for around $2,500. Not bad for a very large, well-built, full-range speaker.

Every time I get the upgrade bug, I go listen to Wilson, Thiel, B&W, and the others but still haven't heard anything under $25K that makes me want to pull the trigger. I am jazzed about the new Legacy Aeris though and I drool over the new JBL Everest…..
Is this brand so good?i've never heard this before.:blink:
I heard a new American brand "Evolution" some times ago,very good:D

svollmer
01-08-2014, 02:33 AM
Is this brand so good?i've never heard this before.:blink:
I heard a new American brand "Evolution" some times ago,very good:D

Legacy Audio has been around for quite a while. You can see their offerings here: http://www.legacyaudio.com They have links to reviews on the site as well.

There is a distributor in China: http://www.legacyaudio.com/audition/dealers-distributors/

Greg86z28
01-08-2014, 08:21 AM
I'd try these? Sony SS-M9. I've always thought Sony made nice things.

Or something from McIntosh.

svollmer
01-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Those Sonys are supposed to be fantastic speakers! I've looked occasionally for a cheap pair, hoping to get them "under the radar" but I guess enough people remember them to keep the prices up.

martin_wu99
01-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Legacy Audio has been around for quite a while. You can see their offerings here: http://www.legacyaudio.com They have links to reviews on the site as well.

There is a distributor in China: http://www.legacyaudio.com/audition/dealers-distributors/
Thank you,i studied the site carefully,Legacy Audio Came to China for many years,but don't become very popular,and not be considered as hi-end speakers.
but Rockport,EGGLESTON,Wilson,Marten,TIDAL,Avalon,khar ma,Magico are more highly appreciated and be named hi-end:blink:

martin_wu99
01-09-2014, 02:18 AM

Sony has never made hi-end speakers:crying:

hjames
01-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Sony has never made hi-end speakers:crying:

he did not say High End speakers, he said NICE speakers ...

Those Sony speakers have been well discussed in a number of forums and folks like they way they sound.

We keep trying to tell you, its not always about the big money gear ...

martin_wu99
01-09-2014, 07:56 AM
he did not say High Ends speakers, he said NICE speakers ...

Those Sony speakers have been well discussed in a number of forums and folks like they way they sound.

but dear lady,this sony speaker is by no means cheap:crying:

hjames
01-09-2014, 10:15 AM
but dear lady,this sony speaker is by no means cheap:crying:

Depends on where you draw the line for cheap -
but the discussion, again, is what would you own if you can't have JBL -
price was never a part of the question ... it was never defined as limited to Hi-end speakers ...

Besides, I've heard enough people recommend those Sony speakers (somewhat Cello shaped?)
that I'd give them a listen if a pair turned up nearby ..

JuniorJBL
01-09-2014, 10:33 AM
price was never a part of the question ... it was never defined as limited to Hi-end speakers ...

Besides, I've heard enough people recommend those Sony speakers (somewhat Cello shaped?)

+1 to that.
I had listened to a pair of SS-AR1's at RMAF and they were very nice sounding. I would enjoy them too! ;)

Eaulive
01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I don't know, if I could not have my JBLs I would probably go for a set of Altec A-4s... or I could just stop listening to music as well :D

spkrman57
01-09-2014, 10:59 AM
After that it would be Altec or EV.

Ron

martin_wu99
01-10-2014, 12:26 AM

Price is always the key factor for a high quality speakers,that's why so many peole like JBL,with big horns and big woofers,JBLs price is very reasonable:D
But since you mentioned this Sony speaker for several times,i'd like to have a try:D

grey
01-12-2014, 09:49 PM
T.A.D. would be the preferred replacement for some of my parts. The build quality and attention to detail stands out. Would they exist as they are today without JBL?

Dave_72
01-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Maybe so, but the big money gear is really, for the most part, superior to the average stuff like mid-fi.

Imo, you can't be a cheapskate when it comes to audio. Buy the best that you can afford, imo. Life's too short.

grumpy
01-18-2014, 01:44 PM
:D I'd counter with buy what makes you happy... whether that's some notion of what's "best" or the thrill of being a "cheapskate"... or some combination thereof. Indeed, life is too short (and this is supposed to be fun!)

hjames
01-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Maybe so, but the big money gear is really, for the most part, superior to the average stuff like mid-fi.

Imo, you can't be a cheapskate when it comes to audio. Buy the best that you can afford, imo. Life's too short.

Sure - its a choice, just like going to the car dealer and buying a new car.

I choose to skip all that markup and the first year's heavy depreciation, and buy at a more reasonable price on the used market.

Also helps me avoid the stuff that just doesn't hold up or is overhyped.

Life is too short to blow money without great attention to the results.

SEAWOLF97
01-18-2014, 05:13 PM

I choose to skip all that markup and the first year's heavy depreciation, and buy at a more reasonable price on the used market.

thumbs up for HJ :applaud: . I too have an audio system that is better than that of 99.9% of the worlds population (ed est) and most of it was near SOTA'ish in it's time. It's all "pre-owned" and I doubt that my outlay was over 40% of it's new cost.

read thru this forum ... this isn't the Wilson Audio forum. Many of us enjoy the find and rescue side of audio. JBL's traditional reputation is "bang for the buck" speakers that don't necessarily impress the reviewers. Depreciation ? hell yes, there was a member here not long ago selling his S9900's at half or so and having a hard time even getting that.

TO ME. once I've assembled a sufficient system that is enjoyable , yearly upgrades are not needed. The discretionary funds can be diverted elsewhere to more important projects, like helping out my kids.

Mr. Widget
01-19-2014, 12:02 AM
:D I'd counter with buy what makes you happy... whether that's some notion of what's "best" or the thrill of being a "cheapskate"... or some combination thereof. Indeed, life is too short (and this is supposed to be fun!)Very well put! :)

Widget

DanMan
01-20-2014, 06:19 PM
DARPA makes a pretty 'cool' speaker system. Hook it up to your smoke detector ... and you might even get a discount on your homeowner insurance!??

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2012/07/how-to-extinguish-a-fire-by-blasting-sound.html

Fort Knox
01-23-2014, 06:57 AM
About $3000 could put you in to some 44xx 4-ways which should pretty much blow away all of the above. Worked for me!

I know you know better!
who's kidding who...

hjames
01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Who doesn't know what?

We were here when BMWCCA found those KenRick 4345 clone speakers up north,
drove up to get 'em, muscled them into his van in deep snow and hauled them home ...

That that is, is.

who's kidding who...

badman
01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Audio Kinesis and Gedlee would be high on my list, as would BD designs, Sanders sound, Tannoy, Maggies, and others. There's a lot of good speakers out there, and I'd have to choose carefully. FWIW, though, I do use JBL components, not JBL complete systems, so better proxies might be B&C, TAD, 18sound, Radian.

Dave_72
01-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Well, I said to buy the best you can afford. This is not at all 5 and 6 figure stuff. Although, again, usually those components (depending on the manufacturer) are gonna sound better than mid-fi.

However, I will say there's some high dollar stuff that has lousy sound and lousy reliability.

On the other hand, mid-fi is kind of a waste of time. I tried that route, and I was most unhappy. Now I'm back to high end.

Dave_72
01-23-2014, 01:47 PM
thumbs up for HJ :applaud: . I too have an audio system that is better than that of 99.9% of the worlds population (ed est) and most of it was near SOTA'ish in it's time. It's all "pre-owned" and I doubt that my outlay was over 40% of it's new cost.

read thru this forum ... this isn't the Wilson Audio forum. Many of us enjoy the find and rescue side of audio. JBL's traditional reputation is "bang for the buck" speakers that don't necessarily impress the reviewers. Depreciation ? hell yes, there was a member here not long ago selling his S9900's at half or so and having a hard time even getting that.

TO ME. once I've assembled a sufficient system that is enjoyable , yearly upgrades are not needed. The discretionary funds can be diverted elsewhere to more important projects, like helping out my kids.

So are you saying that JBL has bad resale value? :blink:

hjames
01-23-2014, 02:56 PM

I think what he said was a lot of people overpay for JBL and we like to buy the brand when the prices come down to earth!

Don't be upset because you paid full list for that Cadillac and others waited until later in the model run and got a deal, ok?

Sheesh - put it in perspective - 7 years ago I bought a pair of 4341 Monitors in a small town 2 states away that had no grills,
and needed some work for $1800. I did some work to them, never got around to the grills, and sold them for nearly double that.

Now - when they hit the market in 1972 - I was finishing High School and had no money for speakers like those.
These days, I am watching investments, looking towards retirement, and not likely to drop $10-15,000 on new speakers.

gferrell
01-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Thumbs up to HJ, Seawolf and all the other very knowledgeable contributors here at LH! I started collecting when I found some CL L'7's and looked here to find out what they were and y'all got me hooked. Now look what I have. I consider my stuff is high end to me. But I still drool over those 44xx 4 ways but may never even hear any. Well my new XPL200's and 140's have new foam and I am about to get a listen for the first time. All I have to compare to are my L7's. This is a fun hobby I have taken up.

SEAWOLF97
01-23-2014, 05:41 PM

please clue us into what has good resale value anymore ? :dont-know: Most of the answers in this thread are for speakers that were once "high end/expensive" , but due to many factors now fit into the <$3000 category.

(warning - snarky response ) :shocking:

well, for a test .... list your new S4700's or check ads for used ones and see what they sell for (I don't know/care). That's why audio is a hobby and not an investment , and sure you can find aberrations where the used gear is worth more than new , but don't fret if that is not your case .... generally only happens on classic/collectables/exceptional pieces and not so much on things produced this millennium.

do your speakers fit into the criteria of this thread ?

macaroonie
01-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Most masonry built houses of old could not be built these days for their market value , too much labor and craftsmanship built in to do that.

M

BMWCCA
01-24-2014, 12:05 AM
We were here when BMWCCA found those KenRick 4345 clone speakers up north,
drove up to get 'em, muscled them into his van in deep snow and hauled them home ...
And that was five-years ago to the day when you wrote the above. I remember it well since it was how I spent my birthday! Still the best present I ever gave myself.
:)

Dave_72
01-24-2014, 01:35 AM
I think what he said was a lot of people overpay for JBL and we like to buy the brand when the prices come down to earth!

Don't be upset because you paid full list for that Cadillac and others waited until later in the model run and got a deal, ok?

Sheesh - put it in perspective - 7 years ago I bought a pair of 4341 Monitors in a small town 2 states away that had no grills,
and needed some work for $1800. I did some work to them, never got around to the grills, and sold them for nearly double that.

Now - when they hit the market in 1972 - I was finishing High School and had no money for speakers like those.
These days, I am watching investments, looking towards retirement, and not likely to drop $10-15,000 on new speakers.

Oh ok.

I'm not upset. I did not pay full list. Nor would I.

Fine by me, do what you gotta do.

Dave_72
01-24-2014, 01:37 AM
please clue us into what has good resale value anymore ? :dont-know: Most of the answers in this thread are for speakers that were once "high end/expensive" , but due to many factors now fit into the <$3000 category.

(warning - snarky response ) :shocking:

well, for a test .... list your new S4700's or check ads for used ones and see what they sell for (I don't know/care). That's why audio is a hobby and not an investment , and sure you can find aberrations where the used gear is worth more than new , but don't fret if that is not your case .... generally only happens on classic/collectables/exceptional pieces and not so much on things produced this millennium.

do your speakers fit into the criteria of this thread ?

Yes, I know the used market. You usually get 50 percent at the most. There are some brands that do in fact have good resale value. McIntosh comes to mind...