PDA

View Full Version : 250ti center channel option

opimax
12-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I was thinking of a new approach since i have moved and I have new room to work with and all. I have two sets of 250s, an old beat up l250 that have been upgraded to TI but slightly water damaged bottoms and poorly painted black and a pretty decent set of original TIs that were laquared decently. All drivers in excellent condition in all speakers, and various xovers and to choose from.

I am thinking of cutting 1 of the old speaker cabinets at the top of the le 14 and making a 3 way, modifying the xover to not block the bottom end of the 108 but calling it small in set up of bass management. This would match timbre pretty well and physically fit under the tv.

The cons of this that i can think of

Pretty hard to return to stock and destroys legacy equipment some may think blasphemy,

Wastes a single 250, leaves unmatched spare

There goes my garage speakers!! damn nice garage speakers too :), I have some other decent choices but they aren't 250ti (Dalquist dq-10 or 120ti leading choices)

Although not pretty, they sound fine think NOS, maybe even better. the new house seems to have much , much better acoustics too

I would appreciate thoughts on this approach

TIA

Mark

svollmer
12-14-2013, 09:21 AM
What about making a cabinet of appropriate size for the three drivers and pull them from the "donor" 250Ti? You could make a simple rectangular box at least for testing purposes to see if you are happy with the performance. Or, you could purchase one from parts express with an uncut baffle. This would save the 250Ti in case you want to reverse it later.

But, if you have the space, why not use one of your 120Ti's? Seems like that would make an awesome center.

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2013, 09:23 AM
before you start cutting, why not demo it - semi as-is ?

pull the LF leads and set it in place (maybe on its side to reduce height)
it should give you a VERY rough idea of what the setup could do.

FE3T
12-14-2013, 05:37 PM
60888 What about something like this? ofcourse With 250 Ti tweeters, midrange and the 108H`s alternatively With a pair of 116H-? woofers if the 108H`s dont go deep enough.

Earl K
12-14-2013, 07:27 PM
MF= 2118H , cone coated with 10 grams of aquaplas ( or some substitute goop ) = 108H
HF= 104h-2
UHF = 052ti

This will be more than close enough .

:)

opimax
12-14-2013, 09:07 PM
1st, thanks for the responses!

Steve,
I think I have enough drivers to build at least 1 if not 2 250 , certainly enough to to build the a box w/2 108s 1 104 and 1 44ti. The issue is building a box, something I cannot do and or certainly have not done for the many years I have talked about it. I do have a saw though...I cant/dont build, i can modify. It will have the slope of the box and tweeter ring already made too. The 120ti is only 2/3 the speaker of the cut 250 driver wise and different Xover points too. I would think i should test the 120ti first though. Also last time when i was bringing this up the xover using the 2 108s was getting a little over my head for me. A Parts express box , i had not considered, something to check out.:applaud:

Mr Wolf :)
that is a good idea before I actually cut!!!Although very rough it would be better than cuttting and find it was a terrible, worse then worst case scenario anticipated .for testing i think I would leave it standing up . I thought i would take off the dog house on the 108 and use all available interior volume or deeper response on the 108 along w/the modded xover for a lower useable frequency response.

FET3,
the issue is making the box, I am not much on wood working. and this box wold have the matching front angle and tweeter ring, something way beyond my skills and tons of time could do. I checked w/the board experts the 1st time i thought of this and was told no to 2116 and even stronger no to the 116, stay w/the 108 if i were to build a box similar to the picture, that was my 1st idea. I think I had about 9 inches total height to use at my other house, that was part of the issue, this time it wouldn't be. See Parts Express idea form Steve

Earl,
I have the drivers it is the actual box and xover mod are the real concerns.

I have xovers for a 120, would that be a better choice than modifying a 250 xover, different xover points i believe not sure about other nuances the different xovers would make

rdgrimes
12-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I'd go with a PC600 or Array 880 and a good EQ system to match them up. I tried the custom cab approach and while it wasn't bad, it didn't measure up to a PC600. But then I prefer my PS stacks to the L250 anyway. You're gonna need a custom built crossover for ANY thing you build.

opimax
12-15-2013, 08:20 AM
When I thought of this the 1st time nothing fit in the JBL pre built centers so this could work too and allow me to do the best part of my DIY, pay someone(JBL in this case :) ) to do it . Currently I have no EQ but when i get a new receiver/preamp for this it will most likely be something w/auto eq/set up (fine for me for movies /tv/etc but maybe not 2 channel). so my question would be are these the best (closest w/o any eq/or other mod) matches jbl has made ?

also a simple cut off the low frequency of the 250ti Xover or a 120ti xover are not a realistic choice? it sounds reasonable to someone that doesn't know anything of the physics/electronics to this? :):)

If somebody else has a used a center w/250, what did you do?

what about the 5000 series that wasn't sold int he US , they made a 250 style speaker, i don't remember much, if it was too big or if it had a center in that model

I am not trying to be difficult just brain storming anything and everything

Mark

rdgrimes
12-15-2013, 01:36 PM
also a simple cut off the low frequency of the 250ti Xover or a 120ti xover are not a realistic choice? it sounds reasonable to someone that doesn't know anything of the physics/electronics to this? :):)

When you remove the load of the woofer, all the crossover values change. So its not a simple matter by any means, the entire crossover has to be changed. You're basically starting from scratch. I suppose it would be possible to insert some kind of load balance to fool the crossover into seeing a woofer load.

Robh3606
12-15-2013, 05:22 PM
When you remove the load of the woofer, all the crossover values change. So its not a simple matter by any means, the entire crossover has to be changed. You're basically starting from scratch. I suppose it would be possible to insert some kind of load balance to fool the crossover into seeing a woofer load.

Hello rdgrimes

Just disconnecting a driver does not effect the crossover for the other drivers. Think about it, what happens when you use a Bi-Amp switch as an example.

Rob:)

SEAWOLF97
12-15-2013, 05:51 PM

Hello rdgrimes

Just disconnecting a driver does not effect the crossover for the other drivers. Think about it, what happens when you use a Bi-Amp switch as an example.

Rob:)

I read Rd's response and was scratching my head when Rob came back with the correct answer.

Needing to vampire a supplemental tweet onto my 1 way system , found a little 2 way speaker with cab issues, pulled the driver AND xover and inserted (minus its original woofer) into the signal. did not originally include the xover and it was a little muddy , but with the xover as just a filter separating out the bass, it worked great.