PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th has always been a VERY lucky day for me!!

Doc Mark
12-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Good Evening, All,

Some folks dread Friday the 13th, and think it is a harbinger of bad luck, but not me. Sweet Bride and I both believe that lots of great things happen on Friday the 13th, and usually something really enjoyable takes place, if you look for it!!

Well, today, I drove down to Grumpy's place to pick up the 4645 cabinet he was selling me, and just a few houses down from his place, on the other side of the street, I saw what looked to be a 1960-1970 speaker box, and an old console, sitting on the sidewalk by the curb. The console turned out to be haphazardly "shrink-wrapped", so I have no idea what is/was in there. But, I told Grumpy about what I saw, and after we loaded up the JBL box in my Jeep, I wanted to stop and see if the speaker with the console offered anything good. He went up to the house, to see if that was OK, but nobody was home. There was also a head and foot board from a bed laying out there, and the entire thing looked like it was a give-away. Well, the first thing we saw was a JBL crossover on the back of the cabinet!!! Not having time to investigate any further, we horsed the box into the Jeep, and went to have some lunch, so that Grumpy could fulfill his commitments for this afternoon. After some nice BBQ, and some very pleasant conversation, we headed back to his place, and before I took my leave, he removed the crossover, and could see an LE14A, and JBL Potato Masher 60° conical horn!! Could not tell what the CD was, but I'm guessing it's something like a 2410, or thereabouts. Too much ice on the driveway for me to horse the cab up the stairs in the dark, so I will do that tomorrow, when I've had a chance to scrape a path to the stairs! I'm stoked, and I think Grumpy was, too!!! I told him we could play "rock, scissors, paper" to see who gets the woofer, and who gets the horn, driver, and X-over!! ;):bouncy: Tomorrow, I'll warm up my old HP tone generator, horse the cabinet upstairs, and then see if the drivers are DOA, or not. In any case, "FREE" is always a great deal, no matter how it turns out!!!

Grumpy, thanks for the 4645, and for a fun few hours of conversation and food!! I enjoyed seeing your music, and video systems, too! So Friday the 13th turned out to be yet another very lucky day for me, and for you, too, Grumpy!! Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. Couldn't keep my excitement in check, so went downstairs with a good flashlight, to see more in the box. Here is what's inside it:

LE14A
175 CD
LX10 crossover
Potato Masher 60° conical horn.

Grumpy believes the box is from Barzilay, if I recall what he said. We'll see if the drivers have life, tomorrow!:bouncy:

Don C
12-13-2013, 09:27 PM
You have to look in the console, sometimes there are great components in there.

grumpy
12-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Nah, the console was stuffed full of files and ceramic knick-knacks... No marantz tube gear :(
Odd there was only one speaker, but it was fun to find and great to have Mark visit :)

Doc Mark
12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi, Dave,

Bummer about the console being a receptacle for junk. I had hoped that 1- the other set of drivers would be on one end, or 2- that there would be some fun electronics inside!! Darn it!! :( I had a good time visiting, however, and finding the single JBL system was just the icing on the cake!!! High Santa Ana winds are playing hob out there, right now, but a little later, I'll go down and try go get the 4645 and the orphan JBL system up into the house. I'll give you a shout when I know more. It was great seeing you yesterday, and I look forward to more of that. One day, when you happen to be up our way, I'd love to have you drop by, and visit our place up here in the mountains. Talk to you soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark

grumpy
12-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Sounds good to me :) Hope the v-coils and diaphragm are all in as good condition as the driver's backsides looked!

Doc Mark
12-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Greetings, Grumpy, and All,

Got the drivers upstairs, and put some signal through them with my old HP tone generator. They both work! However, the LE14A has the usual "hard as a rock" surround of LansAlloy, and it, basically stops producing tones at around 60HZ. The LE175, sounds good, but not much output above 6KHZ. Now, that could be my hearing, as I did not have the works hooked up to any other gear. The LX10 crossover also works, but the L-pad, as you might surmise, is a bit scratchy sounding. A good shot of DeOxit might help it. A good find, nevertheless! More later..... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark
02-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Good Morning, All,

Thought I'd bring you all up to date on what became of the JBL stuff that Grumpy and I found on his street, sitting on the curb for trash or recycling. Yesterday, Sweet Bride and I drove down to meet Dave at a BBQ restaurant that all three of us enjoy, and we spent some pleasant hours in good conversation, and fun! Dave had recommended this particular location, and as it turned out, we liked it even better than another location of that same restaurant, and the food was most excellent. We talked about JBL stuff, camping, world traveling, and many other things, and had a really enjoyable afternoon.

After our fine meal together, we headed out to the parking lot, and partook of a little JBL Game of Chance!! We decided that 2 out of 3 coin tosses would allow the lucky winner to choose the parts they wanted from that cabinet that Dave and had I found on the street, and the rest would go to the other. Sweet Bride tossed the coin enough that a winner was found, and we divided up the goodies, and departed for our respective homes. It really matters not as to who actually got what, or who the "winner" was, because no matter how it turned out, that was really fun and very enjoyable!!! Both Dave and I were happy just having a little fun, and each of us felt that, no matter how it turned out, we were both winners!!!

As always, we are now looking forward to the next chance to enjoy Dave's fine company, and to hear more about some of his travels in his job. Hopefully, he will be joining us soon, for a camping trip, where he will meet a bunch of crazy guys and gals who collect something different than JBLs, but with equal fervor and enthusiasm as the folks on the LH forum!! Our camping group collects, restores, and uses classic camp stoves from the past!! I have around 600 of the little beasts, the oldest dating to 1866!! In any case, yesterday was very enjoyable, and we're looking forward to camping with Dave soon, and having more fun together!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

grumpy
02-16-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks Mark! I was just happy that you two had the time available to drop down for a spell. Good times! :)

DavidF
02-16-2015, 12:08 PM
OK, I was reading through Doc's update and wondering if you crew were going to start a neighborhood watch on street-side treasures!!:o:

One of the local communities has an annual throw-it-out date where the city will come by with trash collection crews to pick up and take to the land fill what ever you throw into the street. From the old concrete patio to the old roof over the car port to that bed that's been in the spare room since Ford was president. Actually you can possibly find some unique "stuff" like the old Barzilay but mostly it's plain crap. Yet there is a constant stream of people driving by in everything from new BMW SUVs to old Sanford and Son-like pickups scrounging through the piles. Almost as soon as I put out the stash from my mother-in-law's side yard people are slowing down or stopping to see what' in there. It is as if there is big city-wide junk swap. The city probably only carts away half the stuff put out.

So one year coming back home I saw that someone put out a 60's style console and, yep, there I was snooping around other folk's trash. There was noting of interest that day but, you never know...

grumpy
02-16-2015, 12:36 PM
lol, yes it felt a little weird, but after recognizing the cabinet (which could have been empty or contained crap), a quick check revealed the JBL crossover... so it got intriguing enough to mitigate the weirdness ;)

Doc Mark
02-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Evening, All,

Hey, that cabinet was just sitting there with some other stuff, and we saved it from a trip to the dump, more than likely. That deal, overall, was even better than when I got my 4408's for $1 at some Gents yard sale. The 4408's had no woofers, but the tweets and crossovers were there, and the cabs, whilst in need of a little TLC to make them more pretty, were solid. You just never know when JBL fun might strike, either at the Goodwill Store, a yard sale, or right out on the curb on your very own street!! :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Mark