PDA

View Full Version : Will JBL 4430 fancy horisontal positioning?

DingDing
12-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Got a pair of JBL 4430 which is currently not in use, as I also have a pair of 4343B's. Was thinking that the 4430's could be used as "desktop" speakers in my office.

If the desk is pulled out a bit, they could stand on the desk, but then the horn will be far higher than the ears. Placing them upside down is also an idea, but that would look rather awkward.

Another idea is to build a shelf for them in the wall behind the desk, but this requires them to be positioned horizontally. Here's a photo of the office to give you a better idea.

What do you guys think about these ideas? Which do you think will yield the better result?

1audiohack
12-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I have never had the horns out of mine so I don't know if the 2344 horn can be re-oriented 90 degrees without cabinet mods but I bet they would. I have 2344's in a bookshelf with 2020's laying on their sides with the horns oriented normally and love them. I'm a little farther from them than you would be however.

That's what I would try.

All the best,
Barry.

bill8888
12-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I have never had the horns out of mine so I don't know if the 2344 horn can be re-oriented 90 degrees without cabinet mods but I bet they would. I have 2344's in a bookshelf with 2020's laying on their sides with the horns oriented normally and love them. I'm a little farther from them than you would be however.

That's what I would try.

All the best,
Barry.

Don't bother rotating the horn. The horizontal and vertical coverage is the same at 100 degrees. I know because I created the horn mechanical design drawings for Don Keele back in 1983.

macaroonie
12-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Another idea is to build a shelf for them in the wall behind the desk, but this requires them to be positioned horizontally

That's your best plan there. You do need to get some distance between you and the speaker.

1audiohack
12-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Don't bother rotating the horn. The horizontal and vertical coverage is the same at 100 degrees. I know because I created the horn mechanical design drawings for Don Keele back in 1983.

In that case you would also have yourself a couple of large coin and paperclip holders. :)

HCSGuy
12-08-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't like either for your application, but I definitely think the 4430 would be the less bad of the two. Neither of them are good for near field applications, which is what you would have. I don't like the imaging on my 4343's until I get pretty far back - 12ft or so, and at least 8ft for my 4430's. If you want to put them on the desk, then scoot your chair way back to listen, 4430's may work. You need something with much tighter driver spacing - 4408 or similar and a sub would do better...
Just my $.02

DingDing
12-09-2013, 04:13 AM
Thank you very much for all your feedback and help. Unfortunately building a shelf in the wall is not a viable option as the roof goes in a 45 degree angle behind the wall and will not give enough depth to place the speakers without going further down the wall and defeat the purpose of having the horn in ear height.

Another idea is to buy another desk (thank you IKEA), place the three desks in a horse shoe pattern in the middle of the (symmetrical) room and build a pair of stands for the speakers which is then positioned in the corners (where the wall mounted lamps you see one of in the above photo are now). This solution will give a fairly good distance to the listening position. In light of all your help the positioning of the 4430's with this solution can be either horisontal or normal.

This seems to be the best solution so far, don't you think?

Odd
12-09-2013, 04:43 AM
I think they are too big for the office, and you would rather sell them to me.:crying:

macaroonie
12-09-2013, 05:14 AM
Thank you very much for all your feedback and help. Unfortunately building a shelf in the wall is not a viable option as the roof goes in a 45 degree angle behind the wall and and defeat the purpose of having the horn in ear height.

Another idea is to buy another desk (thank you IKEA), place the three desks in a horse shoe pattern in the middle of the (symmetrical) room and build a pair of stands for the speakers which is then positioned in the corners (where the wall mounted lamps you see one of in the above photo are now). This solution will give a fairly good distance to the listening position. In light of all your help the positioning of the 4430's with this solution can be either horisontal or normal.

This seems to be the best solution so far, don't you think?

No rule book about this , the speakers don't need to go all the way into the wall.
What is the height from the desk to the angle for the ceiling ?

Chas
12-09-2013, 07:10 AM
IMHO, 4430's would be too big and too close to you as some have noted above. I would recommend a pair of 4411's as they have very similar characteristics and are designed for nearfield positioning.
Good luck no matter what direction you go.

Mostlydiy
12-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Or you could use the smaller version, the 4425. The 4430 are quite big to be used on a desk. (and I know its the wrong woofers and I know one of the horns is messed up. Will change the woofers and the horn eventually)

/Mostly

Chas
12-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Or you could use the smaller version, the 4425. The 4430 are quite big to be used on a desk. (and I know its the wrong woofers and I know one of the horns is messed up. Will change the woofers and the horn eventually)

/Mostly

Good point, but it is hard to find those 4425's around here, anyway.

DingDing
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
I think they are too big for the office, and you would rather sell them to me.:crying:

Oh, Odd, I'm sure I'll find a suitable spot for them, if not in the office, then somewhere else :D

No rule book about this , the speakers don't need to go all the way into the wall.
What is the height from the desk to the angle for the ceiling ?

As it stands 59 cm, but the desk can be modified a bit too to get it a tad lower, maybe around 5-6 cm so a total of around 65 cm is possible. However, the angle is 45 degrees and continues behind the wall.

IMHO, 4430's would be too big and too close to you as some have noted above. I would recommend a pair of 4411's as they have very similar characteristics and are designed for nearfield positioning.
Good luck no matter what direction you go.

/Mostly

Thank you both for your suggestions. Those 4425's looks really cute! Baby 4430's! Didn't even know they existed :D If I come across a pair here, I'll check them out. However, as it stands I hope to get something done with the 4430's as they won't be sold and it's a real shame to have them sitting silent in a closet while the 4343B's are used in the main setup. There are other options for them as well, but would be great to have them play as good as possible in the office, as I spend a bit of time here.

macaroonie
12-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Hmmmm.. 4430 is 556mm wide. Not much wiggle room there at all. Back to the drawing board.

DingDing
12-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Hmmmm.. 4430 is 556mm wide. Not much wiggle room there at all. Back to the drawing board.

:( yup...

While drawing I'll also keep eyes and ears open for a pair of 4425. Doubt they will materialize here though. Can't recall ever seeing them.

DavidF
12-09-2013, 05:13 PM
I just came across a photo where the folks at Capitol Records have a pair horizontally in their Studio A (upper right). Strictly far-field listening, though. http://www.capitolstudios.com/

DingDing
01-14-2014, 01:45 AM
I realized that 4430 would be to big for the office so I just picked up a pair of these puppies for the office, haha. They're brand new in the box and I'm super excited! I hope these 4307's will work exceptionally and give a little bit of what I'm used to with the 4343B's! ;D Third pair of JBL since this summer, I'm going bananas ;D

Odd
01-14-2014, 06:53 AM
We eagerly await your comments.

DingDing
01-15-2014, 05:33 AM
Odd, as a believer in burn in I will wait for a bit before commenting a lot on the sonic characteristics. However, I'm quite impressed so far. Another thing; I have some restraints with respect to positioning (both speakers and myself) because of the furniture. They do perform their best when there is an equal distance between the speakers and the listening position. Will do some measurements and see how well I can have them perform. So far they have a very good soundstage as long as there is enough distance.

Right now they are positioned like this.

As you can see there is little whiggle room on the desk, in addition it is actually two desks side by side, so it's not possible to sit in the middle. I have some options.

1) Swap positioning between the two screens in portraid with the speakers and modifiy the desks so it is possible to sit in the middle.
2) Pull the desk out from the wall and position the speakers further away from the listening position, rearrange the screens and modify the desks so it is possible to sit at the center.
3) Some combination of the above.

Have also been thinking about using some foam on the wall and ceiling behind and above the speakers.

Here are a couple more mug shots. They are quite – in lack of a better word – cute (compared to monsters like 4343 :))

Mostlydiy
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Looks very nice. They seem to fit your desk perfectly. I really like those white cones :)

/Mostly

honkytonkwillie
01-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Is there enough space to lay the speakers horizontally? Use them as monitor stands for the far-left and far-right monitors, which could go back to a natural landscape orientation.

The four bolts holding in the tweeter make it look easy to rotate them 90 degrees so you can maintain horizontal dispersion.