PDA

View Full Version : Comp. driver disassembly

martin2395
12-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Is it possible to disassemble a compression driver like the 2441?

I bought a pair with original diaphragms but also with some signs of corossion so I want to give 'em a checkup and remove the 'silver ring' the diaphragm is attached to.

Mr. Widget
12-07-2013, 10:56 AM
To disassemble one you must use a demagnetizer and then re-magnetize the driver when you reassemble it. This requires highly specialized equipment.

Widget

NickH
12-07-2013, 06:11 PM
It can be do on that driver without de magnetizing it. But its not a fun take. I only did it because there was no shop near me that could do it. The screw holes the that mount the driver to the horn are open to the inside of the driver. If you put a screw in the and its long enough it will lift the magnet. But you need to do it from all 4 holes. And you need to lift it very slowly otherwise you'll trash the through if it shifts too much.

more10
12-08-2013, 02:39 AM
I have done it, Refurbishing a pair of 2440 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29464-Refurbishing-a-pair-of-2440/page2). The magnetizer is intended for neodym magnets, using fast capacitors. For alnico drivers magnetization should be done with slower equipment, using electrolyts.

I used paper as shims, this is too weak.