PDA

View Full Version : PRX 712 vs 710 for large venue without subs...?

kcducttaper
12-01-2013, 09:20 PM
I've got a list of requirements which basically goes like this:

self-powered
there will likely be no sub underneath
as loud as possible (will be supporting venues up to 1,000 faces from what I'm told)
under 50 pounds (for airlines)
sound good at all volume levels (duh)

With that in mind, I figured the biggest PRX speaker under 50 pounds (712 @ 42.5 lbs) would work the best, so after some research, I ran over to my local guitar center to have a listen. While the 712 sounded good, to my surprise, the 710 actually had significantly more bass response and much sounded fuller. I know they have the same power rating and basically the same spl rating (134 vs 132 or something in that range), but I have a hard time believing that a 10" can keep up with a 12" at volume - especially when it comes to bass response. I'm pretty sure the way they get the bass out of those 10" is some DSP trickery. I checked the main/monitor switch on the 712 and it was in main mode. Has anyone had any experience with the 710 and 712 at volume to lend some advice on how well the 710 hangs with the 712?

edit - I realized the forum page hadn't loaded properly and didn't display the other location to post this, so it's probably in the wrong spot. Please delete.

mikebake
12-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Buy the 715. It shows under 50 lbs. Net Weight 21.6 kg (47.5 lb.) The 715 does a credible job as a full ranger. Ive used the 712 full range and it is okay, but not for strong content with 1000 people. Mostly indoors in smaller settings. I demoed two 715's for a crowd of 800 outdoors showing the Hunger Games, and turned to my helper who has done lots of shows and said "are these things GETTIN it for having no sub, or is it just me"? He agreed they were, so I bought them. I also have the subs which I mate with the 712's. I don't completely care for the DSP EQ bass hump used, as it borders on tubby sometimes, but overall it's been great for when we don't want to haul the subs.

kcducttaper
12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
It was tempting, but it has to be under 50 including a case suitable for airline monkeys. The 715 is rated at 47.5 pounds, so I've only got 2.5 pounds for a monkey-proof case. The 712 gives me 7.5 pounds for a case, which might be more realistic.

mikebake
12-02-2013, 03:15 PM
I'd pick the right cab for the job and let the airline chips fall where they may. What kind of gig are these?

mikebake
12-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Or find a rental/demo pair and take them out once and see how they do in your venue. Is this just speech, or?

kcducttaper
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I'd pick the right cab for the job and let the airline chips fall where they may. What kind of gig are these?

Can't really do that. It violates the requirements, so that's not an option. Otherwise, it would be a pair of 735's in a heartbeat.

Or find a rental/demo pair and take them out once and see how they do in your venue. Is this just speech, or?

The venue changes all the time, so there is no "standard venue". Typically, they work with a small band outside - not enough to mic a drum kit, but there is some djembe, guitars, keyboard, etc and some background music for various skits and what not. The thought had occurred to me to "buy" both a pair of 712's and 710's from GC, crank them up and see what the difference is, then return the loser.

Do you actually have any personal experience with either the 712 or 710 at volume? That's more what I'm interested in. I can quote specs, methodology, and techy stuff all day long, but that only gets you so far without actually hearing them at proper volume.

mikebake
12-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Not the 710 at volume. The 712 can get quite loud. If you are stuck with a powered 12 and horn, the PRX should be fine. Just don't expect too much, and yes, they are getting that bit of "Bloom" with DSP. Can you take a smallish powered sub along too?

kcducttaper
12-03-2013, 09:29 AM
The 712 can hit somewhere around 135dB on paper, but it doesn't say at what frequency. Heck, I can't even seem to find a proper frequency response graph on them. I imagine the PRX 712 would actually work fine. I just wondered if the 710 would work better as it's smaller, lighter, and cheaper. To my ears, the 710 actually sounded better in the GC store with the DSP stuff, but surely the bass response on the 710 can't hang with the 712 (given the proper EQ) at 125-130dB or so.

I've looked a bit at that, but finding a sub to hang with the 712 (either powered or unpowered) while keeping weight under 50lbs is rather difficult. The thought had occurred to me to build one from scratch though, or perhaps use a 2x10 neo bass cab (it's not ideal for sure, but it might be close enough).