PDA

View Full Version : Question about D123 characteristics when used as a guitar speaker

jm2
11-30-2013, 12:02 PM
This is my first post here. I won a pair of D123's at a farm auction some five years ago. They were in decent rectangular cabinets (about 1.6 cu/ft) that had the tweeters removed, and were in perfect condition. Only now did I have reason to try them as I just bought a fantastic 15 watt Egnater and a 5 watt Fender Champion 600 (it took me thirty years to figure out the secret of really good tone is not 100 watt heads or 50 watt combos, but low powered tube amps). In any event, I think the D123's sound excellent, but only clean. The speakers do not seem to lend themselves to any amount of overdrive or distortion. The speakers sound so good clean that I will be glad to use them exclusively in this way, but I am curious if this phenomenon (D123's being exceptional for clean tones, but wanting in distortion) has been experienced by others. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a way for me to date them?