PDA

View Full Version : 15" D 130 troubleshooting

guitarzs
11-28-2013, 09:21 AM
I have two D130 speakers both have been refurbished by different techs but both have the same problem. Both have been installed in guitar amps. The problem is that when striking a note and allowing it to sustain the speaker makes a noise as if the metal speaker grill is loose. Its as if something is loose and vibrating. Its just enough to be annoying and I dont want to rebuild them again until I can determine a way to solve this issue. I have removed the metal grill and checked everything that could vibrate, I'm sure the issue is with the speaker since both the amps are doing the same thing. the amps are made by two completely different mfg co.
Thanks
GP

macaroonie
11-28-2013, 10:22 AM
You can better check the problem this way :

Download NCH tone generator http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/ its free.
Once you have it in your computer learn how to generate a single sine wave with a variable frquency.
Rig up an output from your computer into a CLEAN input on an amp you know to be clean.
At a level approx speech or a little louder run the frequency over the audible range. You will find that the rattle or whatever it is will become painfully apparent at certain frequencies. Once you get the rattle / buzz triggered it will help if you reduce the volume a bit and then you can investigate the speaker physically. The dome may be badly glued , there may be crap in the cavity behind the dome , the voice coil may be rubbing , less likely one of the lead in wires may be whacking the back of the cone and lastly the spring connector/s may be loose on the frame or the connection itself.
Best to whip the speaker out of the cab for this escapade so that you can get in around it.

Thats it. M

Mostlydiy
11-28-2013, 01:08 PM
You are sure that the problem isnt in the guitarr itself?

/Mostly

guitarzs
11-28-2013, 02:40 PM
You are sure that the problem isnt in the guitarr itself?

/Mostly

two different guitars at two different locations