PDA

View Full Version : Chipped Magnet, Will it effect performance?

Mr Wizard
11-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Hello,

I have two of the same EV 15" drivers/woofers.
One woofer has a chipped magnet.
Will the chipped magnet effect the performance of the woofer?

Chipped magnet woofer reads 6.9 ohms
Non-chipped magnet woofer reads 8.1 ohms

Isn't that a wide difference in ohms readings between the two drivers/woofers?
Shouldn't the ohms readings be fairly close to one in other? Since they are the same drivers/woofers?

grumpy
11-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I can imagine less obvious damage resulting from the hit that chipped the magnet causing more problems than the loss of that fairly small amount of material would... also, unless some windings have shorted, that resistance variation isn't particularly worrisome. If the magnet has shifted, the gap could now be uneven... OR you could just be missing some ferrite and the thing will play fine. Difficult to tell without some testing (more than DC multimeter can check) and some stress testing... Or someone with knowledge and experience may be able to pull the dust cap and look for internal damage...

"Looks like we're gonna need another Timmy"? Oh wait, that was Mr. Lizard ;)

Mr Wizard
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
"Looks like we're gonna need another Timmy"? Oh wait, that was Mr. Lizard ;) For some reason I get Mr. Wizard confused with Mr. Whoopee and his amazing Three-Dimensional Blackboard :bouncy:
Mr. Whoopee would go in his closet to find the Three-Dimensional Blackboard,
he would have to dig through a pile of junk (making a bunch of racket/NOISE) to find it. TDBB=Three-Dimensional Blackboard

Tanks for reply,

grumpy
11-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Phineas J. Whoopee (Larry Storch!)... you're the greatest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3OSTflMO80