PDA

View Full Version : Hal Cox's inventory under new management

Steve Gonzales
10-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to this wonderful site and have had a computer for a little over a year but have been a JBL fan for the last 30 of my 42 years. Until I discovered the wonderful world of the internet, I relied on magazines and local Hi Fi shops to feed my hunger for knowledge and passion for these great american works of art. While I lived in Portland OR, I was looking through a Sound and Vision magazine and read one of Hal Cox's ads for 4312 studio monitors and gave him a call. That was about 5 years ago and we became friends as he is a wealth of information about both product and history collected first hand over 50 plus years as a JBL dealer and consultant. I really had no idea that this site existed nor that the JBL community was so vast so when I got a computer after moving back to Bakersfield, I called him and asked if I could become a kind of salesman for him just for the joy of being involved with JBL's. He said to go ahead and he would make it worth my while-COOL-. If you look at the guest book, I am the same guy who said I knew where to find Hartsfield's, Paragon's and so on. I have sold a few big Altec models for hal and although they were slow in being shipped, REALLY SLOW, he did come through 100%. He was, as some of you know , having BIG personal problems after losing the LOVE of his life and then recently losing his home to a greedy sibling of his dearly departed, what a SHAME!!. The good news is that out of all the VULTURES that came out of the woodwork to beat him out of his vast treasury of vintage JBL items, one good man rose to the occaision and his name is Mr Greg Price. Greg put a stop to the nonsense and has been slowly helping get all the remaining goodies together and helping Hal on a personal level too. I read some posts about Hal not following through on some deals or the person being unhappy about the deal in some way or another. Well, that may have been true, he is quirky and hot tempered sometimes but overall he is, in our community, a living treasure and when it comes right down to it a super individual that has a real passion for JBL and has proved it by decades of involvment. How many of us can say they have TALKED to Jim Lansing or most of the original group of audio pioneers AND called them a friend? Hal will be supported by the proceeds from the sale of his inventory. What he has in total, I don't know, but it is a lot. I have done business with Mr Greg Price and he is honest to the best of my knowledge. I spoke to Greg prior to writing this post and asked if it would be okay to include his phone number in case anyone is interested in contacting him and he said he welcomes all, this is his #(530)263-1209. I just want to add one other note and that is how proud I am of the men who stuck-up for Hal when things were said about him,it is really something see that, you know who you are. Tell Greg , Steve sent ya, I promised Hal I would help him and I think it would help him on a personal level to know I've kept my word. Thank you, Steve Gonzales.