PDA

View Full Version : JBL LSR32 for home hifi? + Sub 1500

Kalle
10-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi!

I`m thinking of taking a pause in my DIY and buy 3 JBL LSR32 (one as center for HT) and 2 Sub 1500 in sealded boxes. Is it a good choice for well sounding and powerful hifi?

I also have som diyspeakers with 2206, 2447 and 2405 but for the moment I dont have the time an knowledge to get them sound nice and build new subs.

Regards
Karl

speakerdave
10-30-2013, 10:57 PM
I like mine, but not everyone does. I have other speakers for music and now use my LSR's for movies. I definitely recommend hearing them first if at all possible. They are quite dynamic and can handle a lot of power and are quite articulate in the speech/midrange because of the frequency division placement and that terrific five inch cone midrange unit. I think you will very likely find them an improvement.

allen mueller
10-31-2013, 03:15 AM
I agree with Dave, I have 6332's and enjoy them very much but not everyone does. I had 32's sold them regretted it than ended up getting 6332's if that says any thing. Movies are one of the things they do best and their ability to reproduce dialogue is great. Just like all speakers the best thing to do if possible is go out and audition them some where before buying.

Al

bubbleboy76
10-31-2013, 12:10 PM
Sub 1500 is very good, buy them!

Kalle
10-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks for your answers. The 6332 is quite the same speaker? Mabye I`ll just have to take a listen to them. The seller is 3h away with car so no big deal. My listening distance will be about 2,5-3 meters. Will that be a problem? What is a good price on the pair for the LSR32? And price for 2 sub 1500 in nice boxes? Would JBL 4645c be a total overkill as subs for them?

Best for movies you say. Music is my no 1 and movies 2.

I`m not sure if I have correct size of amp for the lsr. Would 2 x 550 W into 4 ohm be to much? Next smaller size i have is only 2x130. (Lab gruppen amps)

Regards
Karl

speakerdave
10-31-2013, 03:40 PM
The literature on both speakers can be found at the JBL Pro website.

They work well at that distance.

Sub1500's would work well with the LSR's.

I can't address the price question for Europe.

I would use the big amp if I didn't need it for anything else. You should be careful, though. These speakers are so clean that it easy to listen to them louder than you may think you are.

I think I could still be using mine for music, but I was distracted by the big JBL three- and four-way blue faced monitors and then TAD drivers and horns with JBL woofers. I keep two systems because I'm pretty sure it would take further megabuck outlays to get HT electronics that would do both in the style to which I would like to become accustomed and really can't justify right now.

Thanks for your answers. The 6332 is quite the same speaker? Mabye I`ll just have to take a listen to them. The seller is 3h away with car so no big deal. My listening distance will be about 2,5-3 meters. Will that be a problem? What is a good price on the pair for the LSR32? And price for 2 sub 1500 in nice boxes? Would JBL 4645c be a total overkill as subs for them?

Best for movies you say. Music is my no 1 and movies 2.

I`m not sure if I have correct size of amp for the lsr. Would 2 x 550 W into 4 ohm be to much? Next smaller size i have is only 2x130. (Lab gruppen amps)

Regards
Karl

allen mueller
11-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Yes the 6332 is the same just some changes in the cabinet finish and front baffle. The sound between both is the identical. I use mine for both music/movies and they are great for both sources. I just wanted to point out that their clarity and lack of distortion makes them a great choice for HT use as well. Power wise I've used mine with both a Crown PS 400 and K2 driving them and both work with out issues. Since you if you go the LSR route and your using subs the lower power of your two choices would not be an issue. I tend to like pro amps so to me the Lab would be a good choice.

AL

Kalle
11-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Now they are in my home with 2 sub 1500:bouncy: Very nice setup an nice sounding. I understand what you mean when you say they are quite articulate in the speech/midrange.

/ Karl

allen mueller
11-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Very cool, glad you're happy. You mentioned Lab amps before, what did you end up with setup wise for your crossover?

Al

Kalle
11-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Very cool, glad you're happy. You mentioned Lab amps before, what did you end up with setup wise for your crossover?

Al
Itīs nice to be happy:)

Now I cross the LSR @ 40HZ with a DSP but I think ii will sound better without DSP because I have a little cheaper (behringer ultradrive) DSP and go fullrange with them and only run dsp and cross on the sub. Now I cross the 1500`s at 80hz BW24 with a little LP eq at 22hz and hp @20hz 12dbBW.

The reason for that is that I (and others) think that the DAconversion in a cheaper DSP will make the sound less nice. I have an Lag.gruppen analog filter that mabye can be an alternative but the lowest cutting on that is 80HZ.

For amps I Have Lab.gruppen 1600 for LSR32 http://labgruppen.com/media/downloads/product/LAB1600_keyfeatures+spec.pdf according to one of the constructors at Lab this is one of their best sounding Amps well suited for HIFI.
For the sub 1500 I now have a LAB.gruppen 2002 http://labgruppen.com/media/downloads/product/Lab2002-keyfeatures+specs.pdf

In the deal there also followed a thing called Anti mode 2,0 dual core http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml Anyone tested it? It gets great reviews on the net.

What amps and settings do you use?

/Karl

martin_wu99
11-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Hi!

I`m thinking of taking a pause in my DIY and buy 3 JBL LSR32 (one as center for HT) and 2 Sub 1500 in sealded boxes. Is it a good choice for well sounding and powerful hifi?

I also have som diyspeakers with 2206, 2447 and 2405 but for the moment I dont have the time an knowledge to get them sound nice and build new subs.

Regards
Karl
I think LSR32 has its own subs too,why not go finding them?
Sub 1500 is for movies purpose.:blink:

pos
11-18-2013, 03:48 AM
The LSR12P/LSR6312P is the subwoofer in the LSR6300 series, but quit frankly it is not up to the task for a pair of LSR32.
I have one here and its a nice sub, but...
The woofer is the same (well, it is a 2ohms derivate) as the LSR32, so crossing it at 80Hz will be of little help (only minor reduction in IMD is to be expected, especially considering the LSR32 cuts its own woofer at 250Hz...).
What could be interesting would be to have both woofers (LSR32+LSR12p) playing in the 30-250Hz range, as a vertical array, but the crossover in the LSR12p cannot be disabled completely (I think there is a 12dB/oct filter at 80Hz that is always there no matter what the settings) so it is not possible as is.

I think member Valentin tried such a setup a few years ago.

martin_wu99
11-18-2013, 03:56 AM
The LSR12P/LSR6312P is the subwoofer in the LSR6300 series, but quit frankly it is not up to the task for a pair of LSR32.
I have one here and its a nice sub, but...
The woofer is the same (well, it is a 2ohms derivate) as the LSR32, so crossing it at 80Hz will be of little help (only minor reduction in IMD is to be expected, especially considering the LSR32 cuts its own woofer at 250Hz...).
What could be interesting would be to have both woofers (LSR32+LSR12p) playing in the 30-250Hz range, as a vertical array, but the crossover in the LSR12p cannot be disabled completely (I think there is a 12dB/oct filter at 80Hz that is always there no matter what the settings) so it is not possible as is.

I think member Valentin tried such a setup a few years ago.
Great,pos,you made everything so clear,thank you.:D

speakerdave
11-18-2013, 05:00 PM
The LSR sub would be more useful with smaller speakers in the series, I should think.