PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Cabinets for 2214s

hjames
10-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I got a pair of 2214s a few weeks back - bad surrounds, of course. I redid the surrounds with a Rick Cobb kit, and was wondering what to do with them when someone on AK offered a pair of furniture cabinets up for a very reasonable fee. Apparently they were satellite cabinets for use with a console system or something similar, but had no drivers in them at this point.

The cabinets are neat because the honey finish is a perfect match for the chairs and hassock in that room that I got from my grandmother's collection many years ago.

Anyway, he delivered them to a party I attended over the weekend, and I brought them home and popped the 2214s in them yesterday.
Ran them full-range, just for a test, and they sounded surprisingly good - I could hear shortcomings, of course, but I want to add at least a tweeter and crossovers to them. I'm thinking it may be better to go 2 way instead of 3 ways with the 2214s?
Thinking of something like a 4425 ... but without the Dollyhorns.

At some point I'll probably try them with the smith horns, slot tweeters and 3133 crossovers I already have -
but was looking for some ideas or feedback, etc ...

60474 60475

grumpy
10-29-2013, 06:17 PM
First I'd sort out the box tuning if needed (likely), then for additional visual interest, a shortish horn behind one of the JBL zigzag lenses on top :) 1kHz+ crossover might entertain :)

10-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Link is what I did with my spare set of 2214H's using the QSC HPR 152i waveguide and B&C DE-250 driver.

I agree that sorting out the box tuning is the first thing to do. Does the baffle come out? If so you can replace it with a thicker one that does not have quite so much "port" area, and put a proper tube in, preferably flared on at least one end, hopefully both ends. Otherwise you'll have to make a plate to cover the huge openings, with the proper size port(s) mounted to it.

You don't have enough room to put much inside the cabinets, so you'll most likely have to stack a box on top, like your Smith horn, only enclosed and stained to match. I have a ready-made box with the smaller JBL wave guide, part# 338800-001, 90° x 50° with the crossover Zilch developed for it built in if you want to try it out. It's been sitting in the garage since I finished the 'Deluxe" version:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308787