PDA

View Full Version : "Embarrassed to ask but??? L5 question

oldsoundz
10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Ok. I have a pair of L5 that came to me with bad woofers. I have tried to have them re-coned, Fail. I tried to buy replacements from ebay, Fail.

I really want to use these speakers but...It's just not working.

So my question is this. If I remove the 708g-1's and cap that hole in the cabinets, can I use these and add a sub to pick up the lower frequencies, or would this further damage the speakers?

Thanks for any input

rdgrimes
10-28-2013, 09:06 AM
The crossovers will not function correctly (or even close) unless all drivers are connected. I'm not sure why you attempted to get a re-cone if they only needed surrounds, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get working 708G drivers for them. I think they're worth the effort.

oldsoundz
10-28-2013, 10:57 AM
The crossovers will not function correctly (or even close) unless all drivers are connected. I'm not sure why you attempted to get a re-cone if they only needed surrounds, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get working 708G drivers for them. I think they're worth the effort.

Thanks much.

I thought it seemed unlikely but I hate seeing them sit. I actually had a surround put on one and the other was dead. The guy who reconed did a poor job and the woofer was rattling. I tried to fix it and oh brother did I fix it.

Guess I will keep watching and try again.

rdgrimes
10-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Folks who are seriously dedicated to this line are apt to buy an extra pair just for parts. Patience is the rule for getting drivers off eBay. I'm not sure if any of the 8" pro drivers are interchangeable.

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I MAY have a good 708G in storage ..will check when time permits

oldsoundz
10-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Thanks Seawolf. I appreciate the gesture.