PDA

View Full Version : 2225 resurround?

greg32
10-15-2013, 03:03 AM
Hi all, ive read lots of info about replacing surrounds on speakers but the 2225 has the linen surround and I cant find much info on replacing these. Mine have developed some cracks so ive decided to have a go at replacing the surrounds, my first question is should I try and remove the surround lip that is glued to the cone or just trim it back flush and glue the new surround over the top of the original? is there a solvent that might be suitable to soften the glue so I can peel the surround off the cone? any pointers appreciated. Greg

badman
10-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi all, ive read lots of info about replacing surrounds on speakers but the 2225 has the linen surround and I cant find much info on replacing these. Mine have developed some cracks so ive decided to have a go at replacing the surrounds, my first question is should I try and remove the surround lip that is glued to the cone or just trim it back flush and glue the new surround over the top of the original? is there a solvent that might be suitable to soften the glue so I can peel the surround off the cone? any pointers appreciated. Greg

Replacing the surround will be tough- are the cracks in the surround itself, or are they in the coating? You may be able to remove the coating and re-apply. MEK will eat through the tough adhesives on pro surrounds, I believe, but it's a heck of a nasty solvent and can easily damage things if not applied with extreme care.

greg32
10-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Hi Badman, yes the surrounds have cracks through them, I will look into mek, hope its not to nasty. ive removed the surround and cleaned the frame except for the strip glued to the cone, I will order the replacements from simply speakers today. Greg

hjames
10-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Hi Badman, yes the surrounds have cracks through them, I will look into mek, hope its not to nasty. ive removed the surround and cleaned the frame except for the strip glued to the cone, I will order the replacements from simply speakers today. Greg

Always work outdoors with plenty of airflow when you use MEK -
it IS nasty, but very good for cleaning speaker frames and such before starting a resurround job

NickH
10-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Interesting side not about MEK. It doesn't have an infinite shelf life because it converts into acetic acid with time. So if the cans been on the shelf for a year or two, take a lite smell before you use it. Might be good on a salad though, lol.

greg32
10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Ive got the remaining strip of surround off the cone, I couldn't find mek so I tried acetone which worked well, the surrounds that I have ordered come with a contact type glue from simply speakers is this the best glue or do others have some recommendations. thanks for your help Greg

badman
10-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Ive got the remaining strip of surround off the cone, I couldn't find mek so I tried acetone which worked well, the surrounds that I have ordered come with a contact type glue from simply speakers is this the best glue or do others have some recommendations. thanks for your help Greg

Just as important as "what" is "how". Be sure to clean them really well, and keep them indoors, away from any AC vents, if you're running AC at this time of year, so they're nice and stable temp, and dry. You want the glue layer to be as thin as possible, while still covering all of the surface as appropriate. Contact adhesive is probably the most practical solution, some of the adhesives used sometimes are pretty tough to work with if you're not familiar. Take great care in centering the cone assembly- test tones help here. Read about re-surrounding in these pages, then read it all again, before getting started.

Good luck!

greg32
10-28-2013, 08:53 PM
604646046560466Ok time for some feedback, my surrounds arrived from simply speakers and I was pleased with the quality they fit perfectly. after a couple of evenings procrastinating I got to the job of applying the glue, The surround had to be inplace before glue was applied as I couldn't see a way of getting the surround over the cone without getting glue everywhere, it was quite difficult but I feel it came out ok. I applied the edge sealer to the front and to the rear of the surround where the surround was glued to the cone with the contact glue as it looked like that's how it was done in the first place. Greg

ivica
10-29-2013, 02:27 AM
Ok time for some feedback, my surrounds arrived from simply speakers and I was pleased with the quality they fit perfectly. after a couple of evenings procrastinating I got to the job of applying the glue, The surround had to be inplace before glue was applied as I couldn't see a way of getting the surround over the cone without getting glue everywhere, it was quite difficult but I feel it came out ok. I applied the edge sealer to the front and to the rear of the surround where the surround was glued to the cone with the contact glue as it looked like that's how it was done in the first place. Greg

Hi greg32,

Nice work

Regrdas
Ivica