PDA

View Full Version : Lansing Speakers in Films and TV

Don McRitchie
10-14-2004, 05:19 PM
The Rock Star thread got me thinking about a related topic. Which Lansing speakers have you spotted in films or on TV shows? Off the top of my head, I can think of three:

That 70's Show -JBL L88's
High Fidelity - John Cusack's home stereo sports JBL 4425's
The Conversation - Gene Hackman using Altec A7's to play back his surveillance tapes.

jblnut
10-15-2004, 06:59 AM
One of the cuts of Wall Street showed some JBL830's in Charlie Sheen's upgraded apartment....

jblnut

GordonW
10-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Pair of L112s spotted on "That's So Raven" on the Disney channel. They're in the high school "radio station"...

Regards,
Gordon

speakerdave
10-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Don McRitchie The Conversation - Gene Hackman using Altec A7's to play back his surveillance tapes.

I think they were not the A7's but rather the speaker designed for soffit mounting with the two twelves and the 811 below.

Maybe later tonight I will play my tape and check it out.

David

Ski
10-15-2004, 11:56 PM
I think there are a pair of A-7s in the studio when The Brady Six go to record.

speakerdave
10-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I just checked The Conversation. It's neither an A7 nor the 9844. It is an Altec horn, the 511, I think, not enclosed, fastened to the top of what looks like a home-made enclosure for a low frequency driver. Whatever drivers are in it are covered by grille cloth. The enclosure is too small for twelve-inch woofers. This rig is suspended above the workbench in Call's shop.

Also in this movie, in Harry Call's apartment, is a bass reflex speaker which I believe is a Tannoy coaxial. It is driven by an old Bell mono integrated tube amp, the kind with the control knobs coming out of the side of the chassis and the tubes and transformers perched on top with no cage. Call listens to jazz over this system and plays along with his sax.

David

speakerdave
10-16-2004, 11:51 AM
It may be the only way to juice this thread is to broaden the discussion to recognizable hi fi in general. Even then I can't think of much. In High Fidelity there is the classic Sansui integrated amp, the Au717, I think.

I believe it was the movie Paper Chase in which the Donald Sutherland character had Dynaco tube electronics that were briefly though clearly shown.

The sparsity of these cinema events I think points to the fact that nothing in a film set is accidental, and so if there is no reason for recognizable hi fi to be there, it is not there. In the last example the Dynaco electronics is seen right at the moment the Ryan O'Neal character discovers the Sutherland character is boffing his girlfriend, so I would guess the set designer is including a sem for ironical contrast to the import of the scene, infidelity.

In the case of The Conversation, the theme of the movie is the relation between art and reality, their indeterminant relation. In this case the art is recorded audio. In the scene where the Altec horn appears the camera slowly pans to it and then the scene fades with that image. Obviously the director thinks it's important and our seeing it is not incidental. As we watch Caul working with his tapes we are hearing snatches of the conversation, but in the movie that is indistinguishable from the realism of the film. Panning to the speaker emphasizes that Caul is attempting to reconstruct a reality by piecing together parts of his tapes, and we are meant to realize that the film is made in exactly the same way, so there is an important thematic reason for the Altec horn to be there.

I have played this same game with photography equipment and can remember films in which Rollei twin lens (Hard Day's Night) and Leica M (Passion Fish ) have appeared. That reminds me that this film, The Conversation, is in effect a remake of Antonioni's Blow-Up (I'm refraining from saying "ripoff") in which the same theme is played out using photography (Hasselblad and Nikon, I think). Other similarities between the movies are beginning with mime, the fact that both are murder mysteries with unresolved endings, and in the end the artist/protagonist is enmeshed in the indeterminantcy.

David

4313B
10-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by speakerdave
It may be the only way to juice this thread is to broaden the discussion to recognizable hi fi in general.I'm always looking out for the B&O gear. :p

speakerdave
10-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Giskard
I'm always looking out for the B&O gear. :p
And that would be one brand of gear that could be dropped into a set for its own self.

David

Don McRitchie
10-16-2004, 10:25 PM
From tonight's TV viewing - "24 hour Party People"
JBL 4333's in the studio recording Joy Division.

A really good movie BTW, in case you haven't seen it.

Steve Gonzales
10-18-2004, 04:19 AM
In Jack Nicholsen's apt there are some rare Sony (sorry) SS-M9's and what looks to be a bunch of Mc Intosh gear. One of the first times I saw JBL speakers in the media was a "Circus" magazine in the late 70's, Circus is devoted to Hard Rock music and there was an article about "what the stars use". The group Blondie had some L100's in their private listening area.

samtastic
10-20-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Don McRitchie
From tonight's TV viewing - "24 hour Party People"
JBL 4333's in the studio recording Joy Division.

A really good movie BTW, in case you haven't seen it.

It's those pesky Brits again! I love that film too, except Steve Coogan who plays the main caharcter, is a famous comedian in the UK with a character called "Alan Partridge" who I couldn't get out of my head whilst watching the movie. The Alan Partridge character is a nerdy naff square radio DJ type - who couldn't be further from that whole cool Manchester scene, despite the fact he fantasizes about writihing around in leather underpants on stage. I actually have the soundtrack to that film on CD. I havent tried it out on the 4343s yet. Maybe when I want to get Infredible up in the mornings is just the time to test his speakers out with a little rendition of "Anarchy in the UK" by the Sex Pistols...?

Dave G
10-20-2004, 02:29 PM
OK, two obvious ones.

Saturday Night Fever. VOT's on the dancefloor at one point in the background.

Summer Of Sam. Altec on the dancefloor again, check out one the coolest of clubs with 'got to give it up' in the background.

:coolness:

Steve
10-21-2004, 11:20 AM
While mindlessly watching tv long ago while healing from a serious injury that left me bedridden for several months, I noticed the speakers on the Partridge Family tv show, when on stage they had A7's to the side of them. They usually "performed" on a small stage in the tv show. The A7's really showed up nicely being only a few feet behind and next to them on each side. I seem to remember they had a TV special of them on tour that had a lot of Altec's too. A glimpse of hope and enthusiasm to watch more Partridge family TV and look for the speakers......or was it to get better quicker, stop watching tv and get my own speakers....I got my own speakers. : )

Steve

dancing-dave
02-28-2005, 02:33 PM
"Phantom of the Paradise" starring Paul Williams

It's a horrible movie, but I fell in lust with all the cool 1970s pro audio gear in the film. There's JBL 4320 (or 433X) hanging from the ceilings in a studio scene which also features the TONTO synthesizer; which is the main weapon of choice for Stevie Wonder in "Songs in the Key of Life." At the end of the film there's some nice all white Altec A7s in the Magnificent style on stage.

jblnut
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
studio scene which also features the TONTO synthesizer; which is the main weapon of choice for Stevie Wonder in "Songs in the Key of Life.".

Someone else has seen the "Classic Albums" DVD series :applaud: (or you are just a huge Stevie Fan like me)....

For those not in the know, there's a series of DVD's called "Classic Albums" where they get a band and everyone involved back in the studio to talk about really key albums of their career. Netflix has most of them and I've seen probably 10 or 12. The standouts include:

Steely Dan - Aja
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
FleetWood Mac - Rumours

It's great to see them sit down at the board and go through a song with you to point out different things.
Stevie (the f*ing amazing musician he is) finds a bad note buried in a mix that most humans would never notice.

There are also some great jam sessions on some of the discs....

Check 'em out - they are worth watching !

jblnut

dancing-dave
02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan. "Songs in the Key of Life" has to be one of my all time favorite albums right up there with "Interstellar Space" and "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane. Aaaaah sweet sweet music. Time to get Stevie playing on the platter.

I'll definitely check those DVDs out. Good looking out.

Hofmannhp
02-28-2005, 04:23 PM
ok ,

here are some A7 with multicellulars and some undefined "trumpets"

BTW: the guy on the right side is not me........it's Mr. William Perks (later Bill Wyman)

HP

Steve Schell
02-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I have it on good authority that a Lansing Iconic (utility version, horn on top) appears briefly in the 1956 sci fi movie "Phantom From Space". I plan to buy the DVD and suffer through the movie if need be to find that Iconic!

JBL Dog
02-28-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan.

Ditto! Up there with Fagen & Becker on my all-time favs list. I just got done listening to "Do I Do" with special guest Dizzy Gillespie on the 4430's in the "Dog house". Stevie Wonder is a genius!

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Back to topic, the wifey claims she may have seen a Paragon in a Doris Day movie. She said it may have been "Pillow Talk" with Rock Hudson, or one she co-starred with James Garner (can't remember the name). "Pillow Talk" came out in 1959 and Doris Day's name on this list as a proud owner of JBL speakers from this 1967 brochure, so it is definitely possible there's a Paragon (or some other large format JBL) in the movie:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1967-home/page23.jpg
This message comes from JBL Dog :dj-party:

briang
02-28-2005, 10:09 PM
A JBL L100 can be seen in the background in a living room scene where an amazingly flexible girl contorts herself in the latest M&M "M-azing" candy bar commercials.

57BELAIRE
03-01-2005, 05:39 AM
The next time you see some early Elvis ('56) footage of him performing live with his band (Bill Black, D.J.Fontana and Scotty Moore) ...two clips come to mind,
an Ed Sullivan appearance and another in what appears to be outside on a flatbed truck..check Scotty's tweed Fender guitar amp and you'll see that silver centerdome shining through...in all probability a D130.

I don't think Fender amps came factory equipped with JBL's until the introduction of the Showman Amp in '61 so it's possible he had one installed...the earliest example I know of.

honist_bob
03-01-2005, 02:09 PM
I saw a gray A7 on a stage in the recent movie, "Ray" (Ray Charles). Probably one of two on each side of the stage. The soundtrack to this movie is excellent, by the way. Didn't notice which brand of monitors were on the walls in any of the recording studio scenes, of which there are many. . . .

djrobertc
03-07-2005, 03:15 PM
I was watching the Simpsons last night and I could SWEAR that I saw L100s in the livingroom next to the door... Ill try to take a screenshot when I get home. :D

John B
03-07-2005, 04:53 PM
L112 in the record store where the main character works in the NBC show "Committed"

djrobertc
03-07-2005, 05:35 PM
L112 in the record store where the main character works in the NBC show "Committed"

OO!!! I saw that as well, but tivo didnt catch it so i wasnt sure what it was. :D

Steve Gonzales
03-08-2005, 09:31 AM
I just saw this movie and it shows a Bryston 3B or 4B and some JBL EON's in the dance studio.

transducergeek
03-10-2005, 01:37 AM
I think I glimpsed a set of JBL ??? They were mounted under a roof or eave of a house outside by a pool... I don't know the model yet, but they were mid 60's "outdoor"/indoor models, very 60's modern design, possibly made of metal/plastic? With two square chambers, with what I think were 8" .... LE8T's I am guessing? I vaguely seem to visualize a brochure with a "tilt" stand for them when used on the floor... The movie had Lee Marvin in it as I recall...Anyone know this one..? This is my favorite "sighting" of JBL's in movies.. rather subtle...

57BELAIRE
03-13-2005, 08:31 AM
The model you're refering to is the L80 Caprice. It consisted of two wooden cubes (four for stereo) One cube contained an LE8T. It connected by a tube to the other cube which contained an PR8 passive radiator. It could be used freestanding or mounted on it's own chrome plated base.

I get so irritated when I see an ad for a JBL product that states "RARE" when in actuality it is quite common and can routinely be found on eBay. This model IS, in my opinion, rare indeed...I've never ever seen one...only in old catalogs(ca.69-70).

Another model which would truly be classified as rare is Model C52...the Opus.
It was fairly compact weighing in at around 35 lbs. The woofer side(LE10B) was fitted with the stylish wooden lattice grill and the tweeter side(LE75-LE85) sported the black L92 lens . I've only seen one in an old photo...and the owner lived in Europe.

I'd love to hear from any forum member that has seen a pair...or better yet , owns some.

Russ Howard

Steve Schell
03-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Well, I broke down and ordered the DVD and sure enough, there's the Iconic. They used the same still shot of it several times, whenever a field investigator was reporting the whereabouts of the Phantom- a guy in a silver suit with a diving helmet- to the officials at the base station. I'm not sure why they indicated the use of a wide band studio monitor for receiving car radio transmissions, but it is best not to analyze this movie logically. You know how many old sci-fi movies are so bad they're good? Not this one. It features uniformly bad acting, horrible boring script and mostly indoor shots of cops smoking cigarettes and wondering there the Phantom could be. It was worth the $5.95 though for the shot of the Iconic. It is a standard utility model, though the smooth finish on the cabinet looks to be a refinishing job, and the coarse grill covering the woofer is unlike any I have seen. Cool looking old style woofer dust cap with the small vent hole... yes!

tomt
04-22-2005, 04:55 PM
was flippin channels asap,then jbl 4411,s or some thing on
thats so raven

Baron030
04-22-2005, 08:06 PM
There is a scene in the film, Rock 'N' Roll High School, in which a laboratory mouse spontaneously explodes upon being exposed to the music of The Ramones.

And the speaker used to detonate that mouse with? a JBL L100.

While this movie is not as funny as "This is spinal Tap".:rockon2:
It is still well worth going out and renting.

briang
04-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I mentioned on page 2 that this was on TV...now I found a web version.

Quicktime link...look behind the flexible girl...looks to be an L100 on an angled stand

http://www.m-azing.com/tv/player_m_1.html

Or Windows Media Player...

http://www.m-azing.com/tv/player_w_1.html

Steelyfan
05-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Someone else has seen the "Classic Albums" DVD series :applaud: (or you are just a huge Stevie Fan like me)....

For those not in the know, there's a series of DVD's called "Classic Albums" where they get a band and everyone involved back in the studio to talk about really key albums of their career. Netflix has most of them and I've seen probably 10 or 12. The standouts include:

Steely Dan - Aja
FleetWood Mac - Rumours

It's great to see them sit down at the board and go through a song with you to point out different things.

Check 'em out - they are worth watching !

jblnut
In the Steely Dan AJA DVD you will notice "a few" L100's (or similar) in the studio of former band member guitar player Denny Diaz.

jblnut
05-10-2005, 01:40 PM
I think those are L150's or 220's. They are large floor-standing 4-ways as I recall. It's great hearing him describe Aja as a song that is almost impossible to play on a guitar.
Then he plays it and you can see the difficulty with the large open voicings.

Must be time for me to watch that one again :)

jblnut

In the Steely Dan AJA DVD you will notice "a few" L100's (or similar) in the studio of former band member guitar player Denny Diaz.

glen
05-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Anyone recall the "Young Frankenstein" ads that Community Sound ran?

They try and lure the monster back to the castle by broadcasting Chloris Leachman's violin through a couple of Altec Giant Voice drivers "Y-ed" into one of Community's big straight horn on a pole. (At least that's how I remember it)

MI-9448
05-25-2005, 07:42 PM
I beleive the "Season in Hell"(the bands second album and the source of the dreaded missing master tapes) segment starts with the camera pulling away from the flair of an A7,as the opening bars of the song are heard.Pretty good movie to play through the "ol home theater rig"!Another good watch/listen is "The Commitments".Great soundtrack!!!!!!

Charlie MI-9448

Steelyfan
05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Did you notice "That Seventies Show" were there are some small
"white woofers" appearing.

Stonehenge Man
05-26-2005, 02:15 PM

No offence meant, but that rather looks like a Black & Decker table saw.

Stonehenge Man
05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I beleive the "Season in Hell"(the bands second album and the source of the dreaded missing master tapes) segment starts with the camera pulling away from the flair of an A7,as the opening bars of the song are heard.Pretty good movie to play through the "ol home theater rig"!Another good watch/listen is "The Commitments".Great soundtrack!!!!!!

Charlie MI-9448

Yeah, I liked the music, but the movie was all "f---in" this and that and it ruined half the show. Not all Irishmen spew like that, far as I know.

Stonehenge Man
05-26-2005, 02:31 PM

Steely Dan - Aja
FleetWood Mac - Rumours

Is this Fleetwood Mac show similar in any manner to the pledge week special that runs on PBS stations occasionally? Mick's demonstration of the layering on that album was one of the most incredible things I have seen in any documentary about a band or concert show...I'm still finding more stuff every time I listen to it!

I believe Steely Dan's sequencer on Gaucho is named Wendell, but don't quote me on that...been a while.

Stonehenge Man
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
No offense taken but I do have to ask why the fuck I waste my time with this shithole forum...

I am definitely done posting here.

???

Now wait a minute...are we talking about the movie, or did you just take umberage thinking I have something against B&O? I don't, it was a casual observation, and I wouldn't mean to rile you. Sorry.

Oldmics
05-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Just thought I would mention an Altec mixer shown during the Los Angeles radio station scene in the movie "That Thing You Do".

Also shown were Altec microphones and a V.O.T. enclosure.

Oldmics

JBL Dog
05-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I believe I remember seeing a set of large format Cabaret Series (4698 or 4699) in a Janet Jackson video ("Rhythm Nation" or a song from the disc).

Titanium Dome
06-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Last night on 20/20 John Stossel was in the control room of the studio and over his right shoulder was a JBL 4208 in all its JBL Pro glory.

Steve
06-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Late Sat. night there was a commercial for Behr paints where they change the room colors, highlights etc. to show their paint colors, combinations and a computer they have to use. On the last few moments of the commercial there is a camera pan from left to right to a larger room. It sure looked liked a Metregon was against one of the walls under a large flat screen tv in the pan. It happened so fast and as ususal I wasn't paying too much attention to the commercials. It would make sense with the flat screen mounted on the wall above it. Then again it is a commercial.
Something to look for if the Behr paint commercial pops up during your watching tv.
Or someone can Tivo or such it to verify.

Steve

Don McRitchie
08-03-2005, 07:13 AM
I taped the Live 8 concert since I wasn't free to watch it when originally broadcast. In going through the recording, I thought there was something unique about The Edge's T shirt. After making a few video captures and blowing them up, an unmistakeable Lansing connection became apparent. See for yourself:

duaneage
08-03-2005, 09:00 PM
I would wear that shirt to work if I could find it. Wonder where it came from?

RickL166
08-05-2005, 04:27 AM
That's awesome!!! :applaud:

billyboyJBL
08-05-2005, 08:39 PM
first of all ,great spot don!:applaud: a way to get these shirts must be found!!!! somebody please do so and let us know.....must have one:banghead: ......some way...

transducergeek
08-06-2005, 09:45 AM

As a small connection to "fame" When I operated my recording studio, I owned the 24 track 3M M-79 Tape Deck that recorded "AJA". I purchased it from the "Village Recorder" in about 1979. I owned it until 1982. I was told when I purchased it, that they used it for that specific album, and SD specifically ordered that model because it had very closely mounted Erase/Record heads which provided the "tightest" "punch-in" in the business.... It had the "iso-loop" design of tape drive... Thanks, all.

Steelyfan
08-09-2005, 02:12 PM
I think a JBL Control One speaker was used in the film "Clear and present danger"
in one of the control centers. The scene where the abandoned soldiers call for help on the radio is picked up.

JBL 4645
01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I have noticed them in films like Wag the Dog and the Blues Brothers and more recently in Contact where they use the same model as mine the JBL control 5, you could imagine my surprise when I saw this in the cinema back in 1997 on a screen by 47 feet and 21 feet high!

Sorry about the colour, colour is a bit off, on the image due to the digital camera picking out differences in values like scan lines etc, but you can just make out the JBL control 5.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/47069/317754.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/47069/317752.jpg

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/47069/317753.jpg

JBL 4645
01-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I’m not sure for sure if the horns that are attached to the sides of some of the helicopters in Apocalypse Now where JBL multi-cell horns that where blasting out Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

http://www.rotaryaction.com/images/apocnow1.jpg

JBL 4645
01-26-2007, 05:12 PM
I think a JBL Control One speaker was used in the film "Clear and present danger"
in one of the control centers. The scene where the abandoned soldiers call for help on the radio is picked up.

Bugger me I have that film on DVD your correct they are used in the monitoring room where they do voice cross referencing. I’ll take the pictures at get them up here ASAP.

Hoerninger
01-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I’m not sure for sure if the horns that are attached to the sides of some of the helicopters in Apocalypse Now where JBL multi-cell horns that where blasting out Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.

OT - The other way round:
I've bought Apocalypse now to play the scene Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries by Paragon XXL (but stop before killing starts). It still is to be done, it will be very realistic.:(
(I did not know where to get helicopter sound else)

JBL 4645
01-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Sorry about the colour, colour is a bit off, on the image due to the digital camera picking out differences in values like scan lines etc, but you can just make out the JBL control 1.

My digital camera sucks! If I could get a direct link to the video input from the DVD player it would appear a whole lot better.

http://forum.stereophile.com/photopost/data/500/3677IMAG00011-med.JPG

Even Jack Ryan likes listen to JBL control1, loudspeakers in the early morning.

http://forum.stereophile.com/photopost/data/500/3677IMAG0002-med.JPG

Tom Brennan
01-28-2007, 11:19 AM
The serial killer in the old Limey movie "Peeping Tom" has a Quad 57.

MJ Bing
01-30-2007, 04:30 AM

JBL Dog
01-30-2007, 05:24 AM

What a classic photo of an amazing band!

:applaud:

Rolf
01-30-2007, 08:37 AM
I (think) I can see a lot of "old" JBL's in a lot of "new" movies in the background. Why? Because they are timeless.

DJ Vincenzo
01-30-2007, 03:29 PM
nice thread guys...anyone know what brand wooofer was used in the beginning of Back to the Future part 1 that threw Marty back 20 feet ,lol, i cant find any pics on line.

Storm
01-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I have no idea, but whenever I watch that movie - that scene makes me giggle.

I turn up my Altecs an extra crank for that scene.

Anyone know the maker of that woofer?

:)

-Storm.

JBL 4645
01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
nice thread guys...anyone know what brand wooofer was used in the beginning of Back to the Future part 1 that threw Marty back 20 feet ,lol, i cant find any pics on line.

DJ Vincenzo

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/BackToTheFuture/x-1bttf01.jpg

I somehow doubt it was JBL or any popular brand name, I mean who makes loudspeakers with cone that size much less the magnet, it would weigh a ton!

Still that would move a hell of a lot of air!:applaud:

JBL 4645
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
I have no idea, but whenever I watch that movie - that scene makes me giggle.

I turn up my Altecs an extra crank for that scene.

Anyone know the maker of that woofer?

:)

-Storm.

Well you should have gone to the Empire last year I believe it was shown in 70mm six-track Dolby stereo THX and with a JBL 4645C sub bass array that is 13 feet wide and 8 feet high, hell that would kick you in the FACE! Like you never felt it at the Empire before!!

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/47069/288071.jpg

The sub bass array alone is 20KW!:applaud:

DJ Vincenzo
01-31-2007, 01:36 AM
DJ Vincenzo

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/BackToTheFuture/x-1bttf01.jpg

I somehow doubt it was JBL or any popular brand name, I mean who makes loudspeakers with cone that size much less the magnet, it would weigh a ton!

Still that would move a hell of a lot of air!:applaud:

how about the amps.....anyone recognize them.....i love the sound of the "hum" when he turns it up.

Andyoz
01-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Not sure if the Australian TV show "Neighbours" is known in the USA but there were a set of JBL 4430's in one of the earlier episodes.

It was during the Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan era. Jason takes a demo song they have recorded to a music guru's house (played by Molly Meldrum) and he has a set of 4430's in his living room. I can't find any pictures or clips of the episode though, I think it was around 1988. I vividly remember the bum cheeks horn and judging by their size, they must have been 4430's.

p.s. Kylie Minogue went to my school ..."Camberwell High School" - she's tiny!!

hjames
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
In the music video for her 1986 song "Experiment IV" British artist Kate Bush featured a studio setting with a pair of JBL 4320 cabinets (sans lenses).

The Lyrics for the song are here:
http://gaffa.org/sensual/l_exiv.htm (http://gaffa.org/sensual/l_exiv.html)l

The concept of the song is about a group working for the military taking "music made to thrill" and changing it.
(Sounds like the real-life invention we were talking about here last summer ...)

"All they wanted
Was a sound that could kill someone
From a distance."

FYI - thats a young Hugh Laurie (House) as the (uncredited) assistant
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0491402/ (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0491402/)
(scroll to the bottom of the page to Misc)

Storm
02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Was watching Degrassi Junior High last night.

They were going to a party and the camera panned from the speakers.

Hope I got a good enough shot that someone can let us know what they are.

;)

This thread is fun!

-Storm.

Titanium Dome
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Looks like JBL 4311 monitor to me.

BMWCCA
02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Some kind of weird Altec? :rotfl:

glen
09-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Just saw the 1968 movie "Point Blank" on TV, and there's a 2-second insert shot of what I think is the L57 or L59 (carnival or festival) on the edge of an overhanging roof by the swimming pool. Lee Marvin and his moll Angie Dickinson are waiting to ambush an organized crime boss named Brewster (Caroll O'Connor) in his luxurious Los Angeles home. Before Brewster shows up Lee and Angie have a noisy spat and she briefly hurls taunts at him over the house hi-fi. If anyone has a copy of the movie please take a closer look

jblbgw_man
09-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Was watching a repeat of the making of John Lennon's Imagine last night, looked like a pair of 4320/4325 monitors in the control room. I also remember a papermate commercial years ago with Mike Nesmith from the Monkeys in a control room with 4430's in the background..... no pictures ..... sorry!!

JBL 4645
09-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Here’s a few clear shots of two popular JBL control series brands that I’m using, all expect the JBL control 1 which is different type as shown in “Clear and Present Danger” (1994) where the even the CIA use JBL Control 1 for spying.

In the science fiction hit “Contact” (1997) JBL Control 5 is being used to listen to the heavens for signs of intelligent life.

Talk about a celebrity loudspeaker with popular claim. As well being a good product placement for JBL. :applaud:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/ClearandpresnetdangerJBLcontrol11.jpg
Screen captures "Clear and Present Danger" (1994)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/ClearandpresnetdangerJBLcontrol12.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/ClearandpresnetdangerJBLcontrol13.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/ContactJBLcontrol51.jpg
Screen captures "Contact" (1997)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/ContactJBLcontrol52.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee18/DemolitionMan3417/ContactJBLcontrol53.jpg

brutal
09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
It may be the only way to juice this thread is to broaden the discussion to recognizable hi fi in general. <SNIP>

David

How about references to hi fi?

I submit Frank Zappa's classic "It looks just like a Telefunken U47."

:rotfl:

Fred Sanford
09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I also remember a papermate commercial years ago with Mike Nesmith from the Monkeys in a control room with 4430's in the background..... no pictures ..... sorry!!

Mike and some JBLs? Sorry, all I got's Micky, Davy and an Altec or two.

Steve Schell
09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Interesting to see the RCA LC-1A monitor in the foreground and the Altec A7 in the background.

I was driving with a friend on Santa Monica Boulevard in the early 1970s when Micky Dolenz went blasting past us in an Audi 90. As David Letterman would say, that was my "brush with greatness."

00Robin
09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
geez,and all i have is selling a gallon of milk to Bob Seeger in a Quik Pik In Clarkston,Michigan in 1976 and then he roared outta there in his Audi Fox at 11:30 at night when i was in high school..
Or the time Matt"Guitar"Murphy payed a tiny bar in Steamboat Springs,Colorado in 83...we hung in the alley during the break and laid them out on the trash can lid....that was SO long ago though...ancient history now.

Fred Sanford
09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I worked with celebrities for a living, so I don't count.

I never met a Monkee, but I did have Mike's guitar for a while:

00Robin
09-27-2007, 07:21 PM
pretty colour,I love when the reds with age turn a "lipstick red" I call it,a mellower patina so to speak.

Fred Sanford
10-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Thought this was an interesting tidbit- I had the DVD of "Jesus Christ Superstar" playing in the background with Norman Jewison and Ted Neeley's commentary running, and in the Garden of Gethsemane scene Neeley describes how walking around the rock formations in his sandal feet was dangerous, but he was mostly worried about the crew members "lugging those giant A7s around on the rocks" so he could hear the soundtrack & lipsync to it.

No pics of it, but the mental image was pretty striking.

je

toddalin
10-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Most currently, Dancing with the Stars on ABC.

Many of the rehearsal studios have JBLs mounted on ledges near the ceiling. (Usually Eons.)

glen
12-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Just saw the 1968 movie "Point Blank" on TV, and there's a 2-second insert shot of what I think is the L57 or L59 (carnival or festival) on the edge of an overhanging roof by the swimming pool. Lee Marvin and his moll Angie Dickinson are waiting to ambush an organized crime boss named Brewster (Caroll O'Connor) in his luxurious Los Angeles home. Before Brewster shows up Lee and Angie have a noisy spat and she briefly hurls taunts at him over the house hi-fi. If anyone has a copy of the movie please take a closer look

Grabbed some stills os this rare JBL speaker in a very rare movie appearance!

First is Lee Marvin looking at the speaker when he first hears Angie Dickinson taunting him over the house intercom. The speaker is mounted upside down under the eaves so the ball shaped handle on it's shaft is hanging down below the speaker.

Second pic is Lee going inside to confront Angie.

In the third pic Angie and Lee are making up.:p

JBL Dog
12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Grabbed some stills os this rare JBL speaker in a very rare movie appearance!

First is Lee Marvin looking at the speaker when he first hears Angie Dickinson taunting him over the house intercom. The speaker is mounted upside down under the eaves so the ball shaped handle on it's shaft is hanging down below the speaker.

Second pic is Lee going inside to confront Angie.

In the third pic Angie and Lee are making up.:p

very cool!

JBL 4645
12-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I’ve just remembered I had a few other films where I’ve noticed JBL playing.

The Blues Brothers the comedy cult classic has several shots where JBL PA can been seen.

The shots here is mid way towards which is leading towards the end of the film where the Blues Brothers do gig with the band, “the band Elwood the band”.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers3.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers4.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers8.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers9.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers10.jpg

Cocoon the delightfully charming film for the young at heart only as few shots.

The shots here are fairly dark because this is at a disco, this about mid way though the film, where the old are now regenerated with the gift from the swimming pool.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/CocoonJBL.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/CocoonJBL1.jpg

JBL Dog
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I’ve just remembered I had a few other films where I’ve noticed JBL playing.

The Blues Brothers the comedy cult classic has several shots where JBL PA can been seen.

The shots here is mid way towards which is leading towards the end of the film where the Blues Brothers do gig with the band, “the band Elwood the band”.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers3.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers4.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers8.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers9.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/TheBluesBrothers10.jpg

Cocoon the delightfully charming film for the young at heart only as few shots.

The shots here are fairly dark because this is at a disco, this about mid way though the film, where the old are now regenerated with the gift from the swimming pool.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/CocoonJBL.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/CocoonJBL1.jpg

Cabaret 4602A's. One of the best 2-way 12" stage monitors ever made!

JBL 4645
12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
JBL Dog

Oh right, good eye mate, I was wondering if someone would notice what model they where, so the (JBL Cabaret 4602A's) where the ones I the Blues Brothers, any idea on the ones in Cocoon, then? The ones in Cocoon are not wedged at the backs like the (JBL Cabaret 4602A's).

Thanks.:)

Edit

Just did a quick search and found what they look like in full. That looks like a bullet tweeter?

http://www.sanyo-densi.com/dai2/jbl_4602a_002.jpg

JBL Dog
12-09-2007, 08:13 PM
JBL Dog

Oh right, good eye mate, I was wondering if someone would notice what model they where, so the (JBL Cabaret 4602A's) where the ones I the Blues Brothers, any idea on the ones in Cocoon, then? The ones in Cocoon are not wedged at the backs like the (JBL Cabaret 4602A's).

Edit

Just did a quick search and found what they look like in full. That looks like a bullet tweeter?

I still use a 4602A in one of my karaoke rigs. I wish I could say it looks that nice, but it doesn't! Mine has survived several beer baths and some asshole jamming a knife through the grille cloth and the E120-8.

:banghead:

4602A's can be picked up for about $200 and are worth every penny and then some.

JBL 4645
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I still use a 4602A in one of my karaoke rigs. I wish I could say it looks that nice, but it doesn't! Mine has survived several beer baths and some asshole jamming a knife through the grille cloth and the E120-8.

:banghead:

4602A's can be picked up for about $200 and are worth every penny and then some.

JBL Dog

WTF! I guess he was Bose fan! :D Touring or doing gigs sounds like a risky job, you’re very lucky he didn’t attack you, instead he goes after the JBL! What music where you playing to piss him off that much? :D

JBL 4645
12-09-2007, 08:33 PM
There is another film that has a JBL appearance thou I don’t have the film its called “Wag The Dog” (1997) and I noticed it many years before I joined the Lansing Heritage site, it’s a scene that has Dustin Hoffman sitting down in a chair and there’s a JBL loudspeaker right next to him?

If I can get the time, I might rent it out and view it over unless of course, someone else has the film on DVD and can do a screen capture on the pc.

JBL 4645
12-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Since the JBL Dog identified (JBL Cabaret 4602A's) from the Blues Brothers last night I found the direct link to the (JBL Cabaret Series) so you don’t have to leave the page to find them.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/cabaret.htm (http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/cabaret.htm)

Doctor_Electron
12-31-2007, 04:30 AM
The movie "Nashville". The musician played by (I forget which) Mr. Carradine has a pair of 4310's in his hotel room and a conspicuous TEAC 10 1/2" reel to reel. There are several such scenes throughout the film.

Tom Brennan
12-31-2007, 08:45 AM
A picture called Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees. Altec A5s on a stage where a band performs.

And an A5 in the gym where the dance is held in Grease.

JBL 4645
02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh, a new entry I don’t have any screenshot captures of it but I saw it around a friends last night on channel 5 I think?

http://www.now-movies.com/movieimg/movie1262662517.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0322330/

It was towards the end of the film there was some kind or rock music thingy at one of those outdoors live PA. There was I think I counted three shots of what looked like JBL JRX 15” bass mind on tripod.

First it showed a quarter of the JBL speaker then a more fuller shot view of it and I thought to myself. That looks like a JRX series.:)

So its called Freaky Friday (2003).

farleybob
02-28-2010, 07:40 AM
Not JBL, but in Richard Gere's apartment in NY, he has a single vintage RCA studio monitor.

hjames
02-28-2010, 07:57 AM
"Runaway Bride": RCA MI-12499 Studio Monitor
Not JBL, but in Richard Gere's apartment in NY, he has a single vintage RCA studio monitor.

Well, its a thread about Lansing speakers seen in film and TV.
So why post about an RCA - do you have a picture of it from the movie?

I mean, other than this one -
http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/images/rca%20museum%20pics/archive%20pdf%27s/dec07/MI12499.pdf
Freq resp 50-13kc

BTW - contrary to what the others are saying,
it wasn't a vicious snap at you, it was just a comment, right.
After all, I did go to Oswald's site and look it up.
But if you can do a screen cap of the movie and post it ...

farleybob
02-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Sorry, in going through the thread, I saw a handful of other posts that had discussed non-Lansing items. Didn't realize I had crossed a line. Thanks for letting me know I did.

Maron Horonzakz
02-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Dont mind Hjames,,,She,s just snapping her J strap

JBL Dog
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Cabaret 4698B's in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk&feature=fvsr

:D

JBL Dog
02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Dont mind Hjames,,,She,s just snapping her J strap

I see some of the rest of you are taking notice...........

jcrobso
03-01-2010, 10:22 AM
JBL Dog

Edit

I have a 4602(not the A) There is one Church that I sometimes play bass at. Some sound company sold them crappy little personal monitors that sit on mic stands, OK for groups with acoustic instruments, I have never like them. When I play there I bring my 4602 and replace one of the little monitors with the 4602 it blows away ALL of the other little monitors they have.

JBL 4645
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I was just thinking I don’t have this on DVD it looks too much like grille flick. I know Youtube is bound to have it and behold! There’s those JBL PA speakers, are those JRX series?

JBL Dog
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I was just thinking I don’t have this on DVD it looks too much like grille flick. I know Youtube is bound to have it and behold! There’s those JBL PA speakers, are those JRX series?

Those look like MR series....... either MR825's or MR925's.

JBL 4645
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Those look like MR series....... either MR825's or MR925's.

I have heard of that series just wasn’t 100% sure. Not bad catch because I wasn’t even looking for it, they just appeared right on the end of the film.

JBL Dog
03-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I have heard of that series just wasn’t 100% sure. Not bad catch because I wasn’t even looking for it, they just appeared right on the end of the film.

The MR series was a step down from the SR series.

Mike Caldwell
03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
On VH1 Classic there's a show called "That Metal Show" they have a pair of Jubal's on the set in the background.

JBL 4645
03-02-2010, 04:32 AM
On VH1 Classic there's a show called "That Metal Show" they have a pair of Jubal's on the set in the background.

Anyway I, was watching part of the few short moments this show. “Distorted”! Yes I know what the other two are talking about even thou I, haven’t heard it I can jet the jest of what they are saying, while the other guy is defending the mix.

That Metal Show-YngwieMalmsteen Part-1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAcLiJ8JZQ

A trip to the youtube a print-screen a little cut and paste and there she is in the cabinet.:)

Tom Brennan
03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Peeping Tom by Michael Powell. A serial killer with excellent taste in speakers.

This picture is one of the creepist ever made and is far more disturbing than Psycho which was made the same year. But unlike Psycho which gave Hitchcock a boost Peeping Tom is said to have ruined Michael Powell's career.

Available on Netflix streaming.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/Irishtom29/captures/022.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/Irishtom29/captures/019-1.jpg

Fred Sanford
03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Peeping Tom by Michael Powell. A serial killer with excellent taste in speakers.

This picture is one of the creepist ever made and is far more disturbing than Psycho which was made the same year. But unlike Psycho which gave Hitchcock a boost Peeping Tom is said to have ruined Michael Powell's career.

I have the Criterion version of that on LaserDisc. Don't think I noticed the speakers when I watched it...

je

JBL 4645
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM

I can’t see how Anthony Perkins “Norman Bates” was referred to as “the man in the shower” for number of years.

His career didn’t seemed ruined after that, rather the name "Norman Bates" become a household name.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/trutv.com/graphics/photos/serial_killers/notorious/serial_killer_movies/Anthony-Perkins-&-house200.jpg
Mother-Put me closer to the JBL 4345 Norman.
Norman-The neighbours will hear it mother!
Mother-Are you ashamed of the music I play?
Norman-You know they don’t like, heavy rock music like Metallica, mother.
Mother-Stop you’re wining. Stand up straight and wipe you’re nose.
If the neighbours are going to get queer on us, you’ll just have to install x500 JBL 4642 18” duel subs!:blink:
Norman-Noooo!
Mother-Then maybe I will.:D

Cavalryman40
03-06-2010, 10:23 PM

Maude Lebowski (Julianne Moore) had some in "The Big Lebowski".

JBL 4645
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Whilst watching one of the Oscar preparation videos leading up to the 82nd awards, I noticed JBL Eon was at the Oscars!

speakerdave
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
In the 2003 Harrison Ford B-grade LAPD detective movie "Hollywood Homicide" there's a studio scene (the story is about a criminal CEO at a rapper label) showing a JBL 4430 type horn in the background--about minute 35--although the cabinet does not look quite right to me.

Lee in Montreal
06-22-2011, 04:22 PM
In a (very bad) movie called "Funkytown" which is taking place in the late 1970s, eight 4520s can be seen, painted white. Two were then purchased by Eaulive, and another two by myself, then repainted black :D

In a warehouse, later after the shooting

short_circutz
07-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but....

Saw this thread pop up in an unrelated search I was doing and had to add one.

Check out the video for Tiffany's version of "I Think We're Alone Now". There are quite a few shots with what appear to be some type of Cabaret series cabinets (Look like maybe 4690, or 4691?).

http://youtu.be/w6Q3mHyzn78<a href="http://youtu.be/w6Q3mHyzn78" target="_blank">
http://youtu.be/w6Q3mHyzn78 (http://youtu.be/w6Q3mHyzn78)

Fort Knox
07-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Big Altec 311 Stage Monitors:)

Doctor_Electron
07-29-2013, 05:17 AM
4310 and lily tomlin

4313B
05-10-2016, 08:36 AM
From Tom Petty's four hour bio on Netflix. There are other JBL systems shown throughout the movie but these photos are my favorites:

http://atlasicons.photoshelter.com/gallery/TOM-PETTY-1977/G00001enWgkl3B3Y/C0000IYHpVbezmiI

srm51555
05-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Nice, I was watching that last night and saw a pair of VOTT's in one of the recording studios they were working in as Mudcrutch.

Mr. Widget
05-10-2016, 01:17 PM
From Tom Petty's four hour bio on Netflix. There are other JBL systems shown throughout the movie but these photos are my favorites:

http://atlasicons.photoshelter.com/gallery/TOM-PETTY-1977/G00001enWgkl3B3Y/C0000IYHpVbezmiIThe dented aluminum domes do not affect performance. :D

Widget