PDA

View Full Version : LE85/H91 or92 horn wit Dual tens or twelves?

moray james
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Did JBL ever build a two way or three way with the LE85 with either of the trumpet horns of the L200 or L300 which would be the H91 and H92 with dual ten or dual twelves? Just curious. Thanks. Best regards Moray James.

hjames
08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Did JBL ever build a two way or three way with the LE85 with either of the trumpet horns of the L200 or L300 which would be the H91 and H92 with dual ten or dual twelves? Just curious. Thanks. Best regards Moray James.

Instead of a 15 or 18? The ten has been used as a mid-bass driver in the 4 way Monitors (4341, 4343, 4345) ...

moray james
08-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi heather: yes in place of the 136A woofer. So a three driver two way with dual ten or dual twelve inch woofers in a tower format which get the horn up to seated ear level. Did they e=ever make a speaker like that? Best regards Moray James.

macaroonie
08-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi heather: yes in place of the 136A woofer. So a three driver two way with dual ten or dual twelve inch woofers in a tower format which get the horn up to seated ear level. Did they e=ever make a speaker like that? Best regards Moray James.

They didn't but there is no reason why you should not contemplate such 'madness' given the power of digital crossover networks.

The LE10H and variants is a fantastic bass driver , why not.

2206 as above

LE14H-1 and variants as above , only 3/4" wider than a 12" across the flats of the squircle shape.

I guess you are planning a DIY ?

moray james
08-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Well wondering id JBL had the equivalent of a Klipsch KLF20 or 30 or of a cf3 or 4? bass drivers with an efficiency of 95 or 96 db per driver. I have to say I am very impressed with the LE85. I have never been a fifteen inch fan I much prefer tens or twelves. Best regards Moray James.

Maron Horonzakz
08-29-2013, 06:44 AM
THE BANDWIDTH OF THE Le-85 DOES NOT DO MUCH ABOVE 15K,,,:bouncy:

moray james
08-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Maron: that's a fair comment and I did ask if a three way was ever done along the lines of an L300. The LE85 does about as sweet and involving a job as I can imagine. I cannot think of anything that I have heard which equals it much less better it but my listening experience with JBL is limited. Is there another tweeter as delicious as the LE85 with more extension and which does not give up the lower register, something that can be crossed as low as 800 Hz.? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

PS: I guess I should add that it would be nice to have a speaker system which was in the mid 90's (db) range so the tweeter would not have to be padded so hard. The other JBL thing which I am having trouble coming to grips with is the use of foam surrounds.

more10
08-30-2013, 04:41 AM
Is there another tweeter as delicious as the LE85 with more extension and which does not give up the lower register, something that can be crossed as low as 800 Hz.?

The problem is not the compression driver, itīs the horn. To cross at 800 you need a horn which reaches 500 Hz. A 500 Hz horn will start to beam at about 5 kHz, you will get a small sweetspot. The JBL 2345 (http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/radial_horns1.pdf) can be used from 800, but I believe you will still need a supertweeter (but I have no experience with this horn). The 2370 (http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/7941-2370a.pdf) can be used from 630 Hz according to specification, but should be crossed higher. I have the 2370 myself with a 2420 (pro version of le85) and I cross it at 1400 Hz. It doesnīt beam very much. Both these horns need CD compensation (2370 despite the excellent graph in the spec sheet).

These horns are not intended for HiFi. The 2370 has a diffraction slot. The diffraction is bad in theory.

Maron Horonzakz
08-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Diffraction Theory,,, NOT so,,, The EV T35 is a diffraction tweeter,,,,The 2397 JBL wood horn uses diffraction in its verticle mode,,and conststant directivity in horizontal axis..

moray james
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Read this on the forum cannot recall the model. Obviously that is a stretch and I am sure that 800 is also a compromise. I can say even with 800Hz crossover point the LE85 does sound good. I am sure the H92 will sound better than an H91 and other larger horns which permit lower response provide a smoother more extended overlap with I would hope better loading to the driver.
I think that the L200B stock with the LE85 fitted with the H91 (lens remover) sounds excellent I can't think of many speaker that I would rather listen to. The LE85 does have some magic which is likely the smooth and balanced response which add euphoric quality to the sound but in the nicest of ways. More accurate drivers do exist yes, but nicer to listen to well I guess that gets personal but I am impressed so far. I would like to hear the Radian diaphragms and will likely pick up a pair. The LE85 need to be cleaned out and have some fresh damping installed. I plan a layer of dynamat and a layer of edge oriented S.A.E. rated F-11 acoustical felt to replace the foam. I expect the new damping will be an improvement over the stock foam used. When I pull the drivers from the cabinets I also plan on listening to some Karlson K-Tubes in place of the H91 horns.
I am still curious to learn if there are sweeter sounding drivers in the JBL lineup than the LE85? Thanks for all the great discussion. Best regards Moray James.

hjames
08-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Read this on the forum cannot recall the model. Obviously that is a stretch and I am sure that 800 is also a compromise. I can say even with 800Hz crossover point the LE85 does sound good. I am sure the H92 will sound better than an H91 and other larger horns which permit lower response provide a smoother more extended overlap with I would hope better loading to the driver.
I think that the L200B stock with the LE85 fitted with the H91 (lens remover) sounds excellent I can't think of many speaker that I would rather listen to. The LE85 does have some magic which is likely the smooth and balanced response which add euphoric quality to the sound but in the nicest of ways. More accurate drivers do exist yes, but nicer to listen to well I guess that gets personal but I am impressed so far. I would like to hear the Radian diaphragms and will likely pick up a pair. The LE85 need to be cleaned out and have some fresh damping installed. I plan a layer of dynamat and a layer of edge oriented S.A.E. rated F-11 acoustical felt to replace the foam. I expect the new damping will be an improvement over the stock foam used. When I pull the drivers from the cabinets I also plan on listening to some Karlson K-Tubes in place of the H91 horns.
I am still curious to learn if there are sweeter sounding drivers in the JBL lineup than the LE85? Thanks for all the great discussion. Best regards Moray James.

L200? Try substituting a Smith horn with a large compression driver. I think the 2445J drivers and walnut smith horns
on my L200s are a nice upgrade from the stock short horns - even from the 2425s with aquaplased diaphrams
I got from G a few years back.
An upgraded crossover is also a very worthwhile upgrade - and with a nice tube amp ...!