PDA

View Full Version : Updated Look for L222 and L220 Grills

Steve Gonzales
10-14-2004, 12:10 AM
I looked high and low for some good looking grillcloth complete the restoration of my pairs of speakers, looking at mail order catalogs like Parts Express and so on but really didn't quite like their selection so put it on the back burner. I took my wife shopping and she wanted some material to make some curtains so we went to a place called Joann's Fabrics and while I'm waiting for her I see some fabric that looks close to what I want so I ask a lady who works there,"Do you have some fabric like this only sheer?" She smiled at me kinda funny and I said it was for a speaker and she says "Oh, you mean grill cloth?"-BINGO- She shows me the grill cloth and there is some JBL-like blue and some black too. I don't know if it is a chain store or what but if anyone wants some good sheer grill cloth that is also CHEAP, find a Joann's if you can. Here are the results:

Steve Gonzales
10-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Here is the blue too. I have always loved that JBL blue but since its not easy to find this will have to do. What to you think about the blue - good or bad ?

Zilch
10-14-2004, 12:56 AM
They're national, but out of knit navy blue right now, apparently....

Jo-ann Stores (http://www.joann.com/index.jhtml)

Can you get us the product codes and descriptions for the various colors available and post them here, please?

The blue looks close; only a sample would tell for sure.

The forum's been looking long and hard for a source.

Actually, there's considerable color variation in the originals I have here. It was not precisely controlled....

Steve Gonzales
10-14-2004, 01:26 AM
unfortunately I bought the blue at a different time and did not save the ticket but have the black code:3514023. Sorry about the blue but I'm sure they can help if you ask them. I've seen 4343's and 4435's and this blue is really close to it but for some reason doesn't seem as sheer. When looking through it at a bright light source it is plenty sheer enough and I don't sense the muffling of sound when I have the grills on but the black is alot more sheer is all. Here is a better shot of the blue. And yes I will go there and find the code and whatever colors they have and post it. thank you for your interest Sir.

Earl K
10-14-2004, 07:59 AM
TrŽs Sharp Steve !

Great looking fabric along with your masterful restorations .

Thanks for the "look-sees".

Great tip on the "Joann's Fabrics" chain of stores .

<. Earl K

( now I need to get my bud in Philly to go shopping for fabric )

Guido
10-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Please anyone of the forum find this out.

I urgently need those fabric!

Thanks!

paragon
10-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Lucky men !!
Great !!

Eckhard

analogman
04-13-2006, 08:26 PM
unfortunately I bought the blue at a different time and did not save the ticket but have the black code:3514023. Sorry about the blue but I'm sure they can help if you ask them. I've seen 4343's and 4435's and this blue is really close to it but for some reason doesn't seem as sheer. When looking through it at a bright light source it is plenty sheer enough and I don't sense the muffling of sound when I have the grills on but the black is alot more sheer is all. Here is a better shot of the blue. And yes I will go there and find the code and whatever colors they have and post it. thank you for your interest Sir.

Any updates to this information? I've done a search, this is the most specific thing regarding the BLACK cloth I can find.
I've got a call into JoAnn's search desk, using the product code # Steve provided. The # comes up empty when used to search on JoAnn's website. Any information regarding the black would be very much appreciated, I'd like to do my L20Ts tomorrow. I have a JoAnn's about an hour away.
Thanks,
Analogman

Steve Gonzales
04-13-2006, 08:33 PM
You can find the cloth at JoAnn's by asking for grill cloth there, someone will know. why not use some of Zilch's monitor blue?. It is a deep midnight blue and looks spectacular against deep wood tones. PM him, I'm sure he'll help.

Zilch
04-13-2006, 08:36 PM
If you want to do them in genuine JBL Monitor Blue instead, it's only about a half-hour away.

You can also pick up the legs you've been looking for at the same time here, if you haven't found them yet.... :)