PDA

View Full Version : Please help me appraise vintage Altec 844A monitors w/ N-1500A crossovers

jazzfan
08-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Hi all,

Forgive my complete ignorance of vintage speakers, know my total deference to your knowledge of them, and accept my sincere gratitude for your help.

I'm looking to find a good home for a pair of Altec 844A monitors, each with N-1500A crossovers. The problem is, I know next to nothing about them or what they're worth, though I get the sense that it's a not insignificant sum.

I'm not looking to squeeze top dollar out of somebody for these--I actually want to be reasonable and find them a good home. On the other hand, I don't want someone to prey on my ignorance and buy them from me, only to turn around and effortlessly resell for a tidy profit.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you get an idea of what I have--the serial number is only 119! They sound superb, but alas, I don't want them to languish in my basement unplayed--they beg to be used.

I really appreciate your help.

fpitas
08-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Are you sure the crossovers are N-1500As? That would be pretty odd for anything but a Duplex. The back panel diagram shows the expected N-800 800Hz crossover.

jazzfan
08-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Are you sure the crossovers are N-1500As? That would be pretty odd for anything but a Duplex. The back panel diagram shows the expected N-800 800Hz crossover.

Without your help, I wouldn't even have known that these are not in original condition...much as I respect and marvel at our audio heritage, I just don't know much about it, so thank you. They're N-1500As, as shown in the photograph.

fpitas
08-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Not sure what a non-stock crossover does to the value. It may be worth getting N-800s and replacing the N-1500s; you could probably sell the N-1500s. The Altec guys may have some advice:

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html (http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html)

Even if you keep them, you'll want the right crossovers. The N-1500s will make those very odd-sounding speakers.