PDA

View Full Version : Phasing for Cascaded Crossovers for 3 Way System

mbeards
08-23-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure about the polarity to connect all of my drivers in a DIY Hartsfield project to keep the same phase. I am using 130A woofers, 2441 Compression Driver, and the 075 Tweeter.

For the three way system I plan to cascade the high frequency output of a 3115 (500Hz) crossover into the input of an N7000 Crossover which will then go to the 2441 and 075; thus creating the necessary bandpass filter for the 2441.

Any help on which way to connect all the drivers? I believe that the HF output on the 500Hz crossover will be out of phase with the LF bass driver. So do I only reverse the polarity for the 2441 since the HF output on the N700 will put the 075 back in phase with respect to the bass driver?

Also Is it recommended that I rebuild these crossovers with all new components and air core inductors?

Thank you

Matt

Robh3606
08-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Hello Matt

With the path length in the bass horn you won't know until you measure it. Same on the 075 just use what gives you the best overall response and sounds the best.

Why are you using the 3115?? The Hartsfield schematic is linked in the Consumer Techsheets.

The Hartsfield uses a single pole 6dB filter on the woofer. The 3115 a 2 pole 12dB with a zobel. There is HF attenuation going on in the folded horn. You may not need the second pole in the 3115. The inductor values are also different.

The high pass doesn't match as well, have you modeled any of this??

Rob:)

Ruediger
08-26-2013, 10:46 AM
With the path length in the bass horn you won't know until you measure it.

The basshorn should be almost dead at a reasonable crossover frequency.

Ruediger

Robh3606
08-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Basshorn should not have any influence

What about the phase/time offset due to the length of the bass horn?? His question was about how to determine driver to driver phase. If the horn is almost dead why use a different crossover with an added pole??

Ruediger
08-28-2013, 10:46 AM
What about the phase/time offset due to the length of the bass horn?? His question was about how to determine driver to driver phase. If the horn is almost dead why use a different crossover with an added pole??

I thought this was about a rearloaded horn. You are right, the horn is to be considered.

Ruediger