PDA

View Full Version : Which Entry Level Turntable

Audiobeer
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I have a lot of pristine vynil from back in the day when all I had was a new Pioneer SX-1250 and a pair of L-65s. I want to try the vynil again. What is a good new turntable w/cartridge for $300 - $600?

Don C
10-13-2004, 08:27 PM
That's enough to get something nice.
I kind of like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5724744284&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Mr. Widget
10-13-2004, 08:33 PM
When buying a mechanical device like a turntable I think I would avoid eBay especially if they don't have the original packaging!

The two budget priced turntables that come to mind are those by Rega and Music Hall. Rega will be a bit over the price point with a good cartridge.

Check these out.

http://www.musichallaudio.com/products/index.asp

Widget

GordonW
10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Man, I gotta cast my vote: 200% in favor of the Music Hall MMF5. You should be able to get one of those in that range, and IMHO, it just KILLS everything else I've used in that price range. REAL SUSPENDED PLINTH, a GOOD arm, and a GOOD cartridge. There's some amazingly sophisticated and well-executed engineering in those things!!

I also second NOT buying ANY used turntable from Ebay. That's how turntables get destroyed. Nobody seems to know how to pack a turntable- I've seen too many of them, with platters LEFT ON the spindles, just tossed into a box. As soon as the box gets turned upside down a couple times, the platter goes flying around like the proverbial bull in a china shop, with spectacularly destructive results. And I'm sorry to say, this seems to be the NORM for Ebay!!

Regards,
Gordon.

jblnut
10-14-2004, 02:11 PM
I've bought s few tables on ebay and haven't had a problem yet. If you can be sure the seller knows how to pack the think, I would check out the late 80's AR (XD I think) on the lower end of your range, or the classic Linn LP12 on the higher end. There are also a few killer Yamahas that I've been watching based on some reviews I've read at Audiogon. The linear PX2 or 3 are excellent as is the PF800.

You won't go wrong with a new Music Hall, but you can duplicate (or exceed) its performance with an older table if you're willing to roll the ebay dice...

jblnut

PS - I stopped upgrading at a Luxman PD264 using a Ortofon MC200. I've got about $350 the combo and love it....

jblnut
10-14-2004, 02:24 PM
If you head back into vinyl you'll quickly realize that your phono preamp is almost as important as the table/cartridge. Be prepared to upgrade your preamp or purchase a separate outboard unit. It really makes a difference...

jblnut

dat521gatherer
11-10-2006, 01:17 AM
buying from ebay is best when you can pick it up locally. just click the distance nearest first under time ending soonest arrow. you may have to wait awhile for certain pieces to come around but then you know what its worth in your area afterwords. i also would not have a turntable shipped to me.

Steve K
11-10-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't know the 'used' market for turntables in the States, so I can't say anything about what's available or not, but what I can say is that you should choose one which has an arm that can be adjusted for various cartridges. Particularly, the arm height adjustability becomes a factor if you're planning to use a cartridge that is thick vertically. The Technics SL1200 series, I believe, have this feature, and they're direct drive so you don't have to worry about belt tension and other what-nots. Hope this helps. :)

louped garouv
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
love my Technic 1200 series tables, as does almost every other "DJ type" out there...

don't know if that is a good thing or not..... :flamed:

but the Technics tables are workhorses....

duaneage
11-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I've used a Denon DP-37F for 20 years and I am happy with it. I had an Audio-Technica LS400 on it for a long time and recently went to a
Shure V-15 type V xmr. Sadly they are no longer made.

The Denon had electromagnetic dampening to keep constant pressure on the stylii. I know all about those high end tables but for general use with old vinyl I think this is good enough.

Thom
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Unless you know nothing about turntables at all, I'd buy used. Whatever you get someone will tell you it's the wrong one. There are some gorgeous direct drive tables out there but last I knew every body called them noisy. ( my denon sounded ok to me) then there are the little light weight ones, some like Rega. I never did they have no suspension at all. I've got a systemdeck I like it but you don't see a lot of them. New it's easy to eat your whole budget on a cartrige. I don't know anymore, but Hi end stores used to always have equipment they were trying to get rid of as part of closing another deal. Don't get a moving coil unless it's a hi output moving coil unless you already have a moving coil input. Some people love a linn but some say to get all it has to give one must play it on a chess board placed on four upside down water goblets. (I didn't make that up) After you get it, do some research and find out where you can get major parts such as motors. Many turntable manufacturers are gone, but if it was a good table sombody some where has parts for it. and they may have mods that you may or may not like. You shouild be able to find a thousand to two thousand dollar turntable, arm, cartrige combination for a few hundred dollars I would think. If it comes with a moving coil and you didn't have to buy it extra than thats cool. One thing about the low impedence cartriges CB ers and such don't blead through to them. Last I knew most hi end cartriges don't have user replaceable stylus so the condition of the stylus will effect what it's worth to you. You should be able to get a pocket microscope for a few dollare.

I've been supposing you wanted the best sound from a turntable, DJ's want a table to be ruged. I'll bet if the recocut and empires were still around they'd like them so what makes a turntable good for a DJ is not what makers it good for your listening pleasure or to record from.

louped garouv
11-14-2006, 02:49 AM
reko-cuts are still around on the secondary market...

also, I believe that the 1200 series tables were originally introduced as Hi-fi equipment.... not DJ equipment

http://www.kabusa.com/hist12.htm

and as I understand it, it is very possible to upgrade the tonearm to make it an exceptional performer as well, some people seem to advocate SME, linn or Rega as nice choices...

I have not yet started down the expensive tonearm road...

here is the write up from KAB USA trying to convince that the 1200 is the way to go...
http://www.kabusa.com/economics.htm

"The way I see it, the hi end has built a wall around itself and pretends that Technics simply does not exist. Fine. I cannot do that. And let me tell you, it's not easy promoting a product that is ignored, even dissed by "Hi Enders". But I feel a strong need to do so.
I didn't come to this realization easily or quickly. I too believed for many years that belt drive was superior. But slowly the affect of stylus drag began to resolve itself- the sense of unsteady pitch after a large crescendo. I so wanted to blame it on the record itself. Believing it was a hard passage to "cut" and so the cutter must be slowing down. You can only imagine my surprise when I played these same records on the 1200 and, as I would grit my teeth as those passages went by, a curious thing happened... nothing! The '1200 is truly capable of controlling the platter speed to near perfection. The clarity and stability of the soundstage is nothing short of transparent and still. [As an aside I was surprised to learn that many disc cutters still use the Technics SP-01 disc cutting turntable, a direct drive precision powerhouse. Much of the technology found in the SP-01 found its way down into the 1200 as well!]
If you really think you can do cost comparisons and come up with better performance over a 1200, try this check list when you go looking for your next turntable:

What is the speed accuracy? (is it better than 0.005%)
What is the Wow and Flutter rating? (is it better than 0.025%)
What is the tonearm tracing accuracy? (less than 2.32° outside and 0.08 ° inside)
What is the tonearm bearing friction?(Is it less than 0.007 gram)
What is the tonearm mass?(is it 12 grams or less)
How sensitive is the table to air and floor borne vibration?
Is the tonearm fully adjustable?(VTA and Antiskate adjustable while record is in play)
Are the adjustments easy, repeatable and stable?
Does stylus drag slow the speed?(Without servo or flywheel, forget this one)
Does dynamic stylus drag alter the pitch?(Without Flywheel or >20Lb platter forget this one)
Is the construction non resonant(Hint: a single block of wood or plastic is insufficient)And do not get sucked into the old saw that it is only what you hear now that counts, unless you want to get stuck in the cycle of constantly upgrading and replacing. Only engineering specifications will ensure that you have chosen a product that will grow with you as you gain new skills. Not one that will fall down on the job the moment you've learned a few basic listening skills. Go check out that first post again.

And the 1200 is fully upgradeable. The already superb true Gimbal tonearm can be elevated with fluid damping. and the motor performance can be enhanced with an outboard regulated power supply. Beyond that there is little left to improve. 30 years ago, some of the worlds best material scientists, mechanical, industrial design and electrical engineers were charged with making the perfect turntable. The Technics SL-1200 mk2 was the result. The latest version Mk 5 remains a worldclass retreiver of grooved information. Everyone else, I'm afraid, is just re-inventing the wheel.
You know what they say about those who ignore history? They are simply doomed to repeat it.
We are seeing much of that right now. But with the market so much smaller this time around, the cost of admission is just too high!
Isn't it time you started asking questions?
KAB

Thom
11-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Your right they were, the DJ market was nothing like it is today, but it migrated real fast, look I haven't a lot if any personal experience with it I just thought the whole crowd that gets there capacitors blessed befor they use them had decided that all direct drive turntables were coggy. Truth is I don't buy a lot of the rest of what they push but I thought that I was pretty much alone there and I don't see anything wrong with the minimilist tables now that you can find them for what they are worth. Some people claim you can hear major differencse between various tables and arms, I'm not actually sure if that is true or not once you get over a certain quality so I won't take a position. You can absolutly hear differences in cartriges. Some stylus are easier on vinyl than others. I remember when people were swearing by the deca but it tracked so heavy I wouldn't let anybody play anything of mine with one. I'll bow out. There are lots of choices and I'm far from an expert but unless you feel you don't know enough to shop used I would buy used. Every day someone who has a beautiful turntable dies and their kids don't know what to do with it. The best cartriges will have the stylus ruined if you play them like a DJ so you wont get the best cartrige in a DJ's table. A lot of times better means more precision and more precision means more delicate. Think HI END road bike and a DJ needs a mountain bike that's the best I can put it.

I forgot to ask do you rep this table. You've got to be the first one I've run acrss who thought there was only one table worth talking about.

louped garouv
11-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Your right they were, the DJ market was nothing like it is today, but it migrated real fast, look I haven't a lot if any personal experience with it I just thought the whole crowd that gets there capacitors blessed befor they use them had decided that all direct drive turntables were coggy. Truth is I don't buy a lot of the rest of what they push but I thought that I was pretty much alone there and I don't see anything wrong with the minimilist tables now that you can find them for what they are worth. Some people claim you can hear major differencse between various tables and arms, I'm not actually sure if that is true or not once you get over a certain quality so I won't take a position. You can absolutly hear differences in cartriges. Some stylus are easier on vinyl than others. I remember when people were swearing by the deca but it tracked so heavy I wouldn't let anybody play anything of mine with one. I'll bow out. There are lots of choices and I'm far from an expert but unless you feel you don't know enough to shop used I would buy used. Every day someone who has a beautiful turntable dies and their kids don't know what to do with it. The best cartriges will have the stylus ruined if you play them like a DJ so you wont get the best cartrige in a DJ's table. A lot of times better means more precision and more precision means more delicate. Think HI END road bike and a DJ needs a mountain bike that's the best I can put it.

totally agree... there are others, but for a new TT (what the OG poster was asking for).... the 1200s are hard to beat.... economies of scale methinks...

I also agree that buying a used, nice condition TT is wise...

and that home listening (dare i say it, audiophile?) carts are much different than DJ carts.... much more delicate... and more "transparent," typically...

I forgot to ask do you rep this table. You've got to be the first one I've run acrss who thought there was only one table worth talking about.

no just a loyal customer... I would like to hear/use some of the other, more esoteric tables, but for the money.....

Thom
11-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Think for the most part we agree

GordonW
11-16-2006, 08:21 AM
That's a new one, for me... "stylus drag". Been doing this for 20 years, and never had a problem with that.

Yes, I guess, if you had a cheap belt-drive table with a featherweight platter and a very stiff-suspended cartridge (ie, heavy tonearm with heavy-sprung cartridge cantilever), then you MIGHT have audible speed changes. But, with ANY of the modern belt-drives with heavy platters (the Music Hall MMF5 has a glass platter and a very strong motor, for one example), and modern high-compliance cartridges (even the moving coil carts have more compliant suspension than many of the MM carts did, back in the day!), this is not even REMOTELY a problem.

I will say this: I have A-B'd a Technics SL1200 to an MMF5... and the noise floor is SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER on the MMF5. And the resistance to feedback/howl is SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER on the Music Hall, too...

Not to mention, the bass goes about another quarter octave lower on the MMF5, too... once you've had TRUE BASS EXTENSION to 20 Hz, it's hard to go back...

What I've mentioned for the MMF5, should logically also apply to any other Music Hall table, and any VPI, Linn, Thorens, Sumiko Project, SOTA, Clearaudio or other similarly-suspended well-designed belt drive table (note that I did NOT mention the Regas... I feel their lack of suspension 'cripples' them in both the bass and feedback/howl department)... they all have PROVEN THEMSELVES to be first-class performers...

Regards,
Gordon.

Regards,
Gordon.

Steve Schell
11-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure whether stylus drag is a factor or not, but I do notice a difference with 'tables that use a high mass platter. I have demoed with several models of Teres turntables at shows, and the rock solid speed stability is audible and reassuring compared to anything I have used at home. Of course we were also using pricey moving coil cartridges, which do seem worth their cost when combined with a great 'table and source material. There's a lot of info in them thar grooves.

http://www.teresaudio.com/

X_X
11-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Thorens line not mentioned? How on Earth can you even discuss the entry/midfi/high end used/new tunrtable market and not mention the great turntables put out by Thorens?

TD145
TD160

Both excellent, rock solid, user friendly turntables. Both perfect choices for the entry/mid fi market and/or vinyl newbie. Hard to beat the sonics vs price.

Titanium Dome
11-18-2006, 02:51 PM
There are many bargains in used turntables. Certainly some of the best of the past are remarkably inexpensive today.

OTOH, if what you want to do is start with a new entry-level machine, there are a number of good choices. Here's a list with six or seven good choices, though I'd ignore the bottom of the list for sure.

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereotoppicks/tp/bargain_tts.htm

IMO, you should look at buying new when possible. This is the only way that current manufacturers stay in business.

SUPERBEE
11-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I have a lot of pristine vynil from back in the day when all I had was a new Pioneer SX-1250 and a pair of L-65s. I want to try the vynil again. What is a good new turntable w/cartridge for $300 - $600?

Linn or Thorens. I especially like the Thorens 125 with a Linn basik arm.

SUPERBEE
11-18-2006, 03:05 PM
love my Technic 1200 series tables, as does almost every other "DJ type" out there...

don't know if that is a good thing or not..... :flamed:

but the Technics tables are workhorses....

In my experience DJ Turntable=Destroy Record+Bad Sound Reproduction

X_X
11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
IMO, you should look at buying new when possible. This is the only way that current manufacturers stay in business.

Completely disagree.

First- buying used is simple if you are dealing with someone that understands turntables and knows how to parcel them. A heap of older turntables have a set of 3 or 4 screws that lock down the suspension for a safe journey. If the seller removes the removable (platter, cart, and/or arm) and packages that independant of the plinth- all should be fine. How do people think new turntables are distributed? I have bought and sold several turntables overseas and NEVER had a mishap.

Second- buying a NEW turntable that doesn't meet or exceed the quality of a vintage one at the same price point means you are SUPPORTING a business that thinks you cannot spend your money wisely. You are also helping them profit by producing a substandard product. Is that the kind of businesses you want in the marketplace? I don't! On the other hand, if a company can deliver the goods at an appropriate price on a new product- buy it.

Third- The real market is in the aftermarket add ons and upgrades that support VINTAGE turntables! Support those businesses. Support the businesses that manufacture quality carts, arms, and all the other great accessory gear available today. I'm sorry, but few manufacturers today can produce a complete turntable that exceeds the performance of a properly set up vintage one at the same price point.

I say buy used when you can to help cue the manufacturers of today what is valued in a product. They are smart. The better companies will adapt and shift focus in that direction. Meanwhile, keep them alive by buying the extras to make that older turntable sing like it should!

peace.
Nate.

Robh3606
11-18-2006, 09:02 PM
One of my favorites is the Empire 698 if you can find one.

Rob:)

L100t Owner
11-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I bought as used VPI Scout and Dynavector 20x5. Great combo but don't fall for the hype. A really good CD sounds just as good with no pops and clicks. Some vinyl sounds outstanding and other juyst so so. Its really hit or miss.

If you are patient, you can get a Rega P25 (without cart) in your price range.

Titanium Dome
11-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the forums X_X. Glad you feel free to express your opinions.

You sound like a guy who wants to keep the used market alive. ;)

Completely disagree.

First- buying used is simple if you are dealing with someone that understands turntables and knows how to parcel them. A heap of older turntables have a set of 3 or 4 screws that lock down the suspension for a safe journey. If the seller removes the removable (platter, cart, and/or arm) and packages that independant of the plinth- all should be fine. How do people think new turntables are distributed? I have bought and sold several turntables overseas and NEVER had a mishap. Glad you're so fortunate. Others haven't been. Sellers often don't have a clue and don't do what you ask them to do when they ship something. "How do people think new turntables are distributed?" Well, the average seller wouldn't have a clue, with the boxes and memory of how the turntable came from the store long gone. I might buy a used turntable from you, since you seem to do a lot of buying and selling, but how would I know about someone else?

Second- buying a NEW turntable that doesn't meet or exceed the quality of a vintage one at the same price point means you are SUPPORTING a business that thinks you cannot spend your money wisely. You are also helping them profit by producing a substandard product. Is that the kind of businesses you want in the marketplace? I don't! On the other hand, if a company can deliver the goods at an appropriate price on a new product- buy it. This is a specious argument; this same logic would imply we should only buy used cars. So if Honda can't deliver a new Accord for the same price that a 1995 Accord in good shape can be purchased for, don't buy it? A new fridge will cost $1000, but I can get a 20 year-old one for $75 that will keep things just as cold. Whirlpool Corp in Benton Harbor, MI can stay in business by selling me a new door gasket.

Third- The real market is in the aftermarket add ons and upgrades that support VINTAGE turntables! Support those businesses. Support the businesses that manufacture quality carts, arms, and all the other great accessory gear available today. I'm sorry, but few manufacturers today can produce a complete turntable that exceeds the performance of a properly set up vintage one at the same price point. I don't think you're that sorry.

I say buy used when you can to help cue the manufacturers of today what is valued in a product. They are smart. The better companies will adapt and shift focus in that direction. Meanwhile, keep them alive by buying the extras to make that older turntable sing like it should!

peace.
Nate.

How would they (the manufacturers) know what you bought and why? Are we writing to them and stating, "I bought a used Thorens because it's better than yours, and here's why..."? I don't think too many people are doing that.

You're in good company here, though. I think a lot of members here will agree with you that old is better than new and that constantly recycling and tweaking (with new upgrades) vintage gear is the recipe for a superior experience while running down the new stuff. Fortunately, plenty of people buy new JBL products to keep the division alive, so it works okay for all I guess.

I've bought a lot of used JBLs, but also many new JBLs over the years. The new stuff I get is almost always better than the older stuff I have, and, adjusted for inflation, is a better value, too.

So, I acknowledge your complete disagreement, don't agree with it, and, again, welcome you to the forums. :yes:

Robh3606
11-19-2006, 09:15 AM
You're in good company here, though. I think a lot of members here will agree with you that old is better than new and that constantly recycling and tweaking (with new upgrades) vintage gear is the recipe for a superior experience while running down the new stuff. Fortunately, plenty of people buy new JBL products to keep the division alive, so it works okay for all I guess.

Hello T Dome

Wasn't this a turntable thread???;) That's true but I think most also recognize that there is only so much you can do to "upgrade" these designs. The most obvious is the crossover and potentially the cabinet tuning before T/S. The real bone of contention is the drivers. Some of the vintage drivers are engineering master pieces an example being the 2440/2441. It is still a good performer and desirable driver to this day but it is also an exception. Along those lines the newer drivers are technically superior however the key to the whole issue is which do you think sounds better. That's the rub and always will be. Even if the new stuff is technically better it's sonic merrits may not be immediately obvious. You have to have an open mind and give the new stuff a shot on it's own merrits. Comparing the "vintage" sound to new can be like apples and oranges. You need to taste both to really appreciate what the differences are.

Titanium Dome
11-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Hello T Dome

Wasn't this a turntable thread???;) (snip)

You just know once I get started I might take the damn thing anywhere. :rotfl:

Sorry all. :banana:

X_X
11-19-2006, 05:57 PM
[quote=Titanium Dome;134548]

No, not really. I usually prefer the newer stuff. I just hate the new entry level midfi garbage that's out there trying to compete with the classics that far exceed the performance...for less money. The high end new marketplace is full of masterful products.

This is a specious argument; this same logic would imply we should only buy used cars.

I wasn't talking about cars, so the analogy is moot.

How would they (the manufacturers) know what you bought and why? Are we writing to them and stating, "I bought a used Thorens because it's better than yours, and here's why..."? I don't think too many people are doing that.

Are you serious? If I'm a turntable manufacturer (or work for one) wouldn't it be in my best interest to know something about the used turntable market? If suddenly a LINN LP12 began commanding 5 times it's cost to manufacture- guess what I'm buidling?

Simple R&D. The research aspect of that includes knowing your target market and how much that market will bear. The used marketplace is crucial to that because it lets you know what is valued. That's how you model a product.

You're in good company here, though. I think a lot of members here will agree with you that old is better than new and that constantly recycling and tweaking (with new upgrades) vintage gear is the recipe for a superior experience while running down the new stuff.

Don't act like you pegged me. That's not at all how I feel. That was rude. I didn't realize old and new were divided into two camps here. Either you are right and the average forumite is dim- or you are wrong.

Fortunately, plenty of people buy new JBL products to keep the division alive, so it works okay for all I guess.

Pat yourself some more, please. Should you be awarded something for saving the company from total destruction? Thank you, your blind loyalty is admirable. I dread the day my spending habits are altered because I feel the need to "save" a company.

Titanium Dome
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
[quote=Titanium Dome;134548]

No, not really. I usually prefer the newer stuff. I just hate the new entry level midfi garbage that's out there trying to compete with the classics that far exceed the performance...for less money. The high end new marketplace is full of masterful products.

This is a specious argument; this same logic would imply we should only buy used cars.

I wasn't talking about cars, so the analogy is moot.

Are you serious? If I'm a turntable manufacturer (or work for one) wouldn't it be in my best interest to know something about the used turntable market? If suddenly a LINN LP12 began commanding 5 times it's cost to manufacture- guess what I'm buidling?

Simple R&D. The research aspect of that includes knowing your target market and how much that market will bear. The used marketplace is crucial to that because it lets you know what is valued. That's how you model a product.

You're in good company here, though. I think a lot of members here will agree with you that old is better than new and that constantly recycling and tweaking (with new upgrades) vintage gear is the recipe for a superior experience while running down the new stuff.

Don't act like you pegged me. That's not at all how I feel. That was rude. I didn't realize old and new were divided into two camps here. Either you are right and the average forumite is dim- or you are wrong.

Fortunately, plenty of people buy new JBL products to keep the division alive, so it works okay for all I guess.

Pat yourself some more, please. Should you be awarded something for saving the company from total destruction? Thank you, your blind loyalty is admirable. I dread the day my spending habits are altered because I feel the need to "save" a company.

You're a swell guy. Pleasure talking to you.

louped garouv
11-20-2006, 05:29 AM
In my experience DJ Turntable=Destroy Record+Bad Sound Reproduction

I am interested in hearing more of this account...

what tables, were they (was it) with proper cart set up/balancing of the tonearm, etc?

I just can't see how, when properly set up, any decent TT would thrash your vinyl...

SUPERBEE
11-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I am interested in hearing more of this account...

what tables, were they (was it) with proper cart set up/balancing of the tonearm, etc?

I just can't see how, when properly set up, any decent TT would thrash your vinyl...

And there is the problem. most DJs, even when playing good music dont bother to "properly set things up" I have been in hundreds of clubs where idiots are playing good vinyl on cheap tables with over weighted arms and needles with little to no life left.
Not to mention the sound systems at most clubs are full of horrible Cerwin Vega or even worse, some no-name speakers and they almost always run them up to "11" thinking that really loud bad sound is better.
No thanks, I will stay home with my 70s vintage Thorens and play all the records I want. Plus, the drinks are cheaper.

bigstereo
11-20-2006, 11:43 AM
I'll take vintage also. I just got ahold of a vintage Philips 312 that sounds real nice. A little tweaking and it really put a smile on my face this past week end. Although caveat emptor here, don't know if I'd want a table that a DJ has been lugging around, and then there's the whole scratching thing. Ouch.:)

Chas
11-20-2006, 01:24 PM
The old Thorens decks are great, I have a TD-125 with a Mayware unipivot and a Stanton 881S that really rocks. I love playing old sixties (heavily compressed and eq'd) 45's on it.

A fully decked out Linn is my favorite though. The nice thing about the Linn is that you can buy a used or new basic machine and improve it bit by bit, all the while enjoying the sound of every step.

The feeling of being at the musical event with vinyl is unsurpassed IMHO.

SEAWOLF97
11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
heres a nice Technics direct drive TT with radial arm for NO tracking error that I am getting ready to sell. Has an ADC cart, sounds super. GReat for small install since its only about 13x13 and can CUE with dustcover closed - has a LED arrow and you move arm L and R with controls. Includes manual.
used, pretty good cond....$50 + shipping

louped garouv
11-21-2006, 03:51 PM
And there is the problem. most DJs, even when playing good music dont bother to "properly set things up" I have been in hundreds of clubs where idiots are playing good vinyl on cheap tables with over weighted arms and needles with little to no life left.
Not to mention the sound systems at most clubs are full of horrible Cerwin Vega or even worse, some no-name speakers and they almost always run them up to "11" thinking that really loud bad sound is better.
No thanks, I will stay home with my 70s vintage Thorens and play all the records I want. Plus, the drinks are cheaper.

sounds like you frequented a string of bad venues/incompetent
DJs driving the system.....
as is typical, I guess...

FYI, there are DJs that use Thorens TTs (and nicer ones too), and DJs that take care to understand room acoustics and power ratios, etc...

and insure that the gear in in top shape before playing...

I agree, the drinks are much cheaper at home....

:cheers:

Wayner
11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
A turntable setup that I like is a Technics 1200 with an Ortofon OM30 stylus on a Concorde cartridge. There is no cartridge set-up to speak of and getting parts couldn't be much easier.

X_X
11-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Of all the setups I've heard, There is nothing that tops an EMT turntable. There is not a new one (that I have heard) that can dish out the music and details like one of those ugly old things can. I've not even heard the top line EMT either!

Nate