PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on replacing an 035ti

Thorzdad
08-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Yesterday, I find that the 035ti in one of my L100t's has died. Doing a little reading, it looks like my options are not what I had hoped. So, in search of advice and direction, I have a few questions...

1. I've looked at the 052ti as a replacement, but, at $300 for a pair (http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=03-052&Category_Code=) (plus shipping) that's going to be a tough sell to my finance minister (a.k.a. my wife) Is anyone selling them cheaper somewhere?

2. I've seen some discussion about the 035ti knockoff that Midwest Speaker sells on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-035TIA-Copy-Tweeter-for-L40T3-L80T-L100T-Speaker-/160620560956?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item2565bb423c), but I've not seen any actual feedback as to whether they are any good. Do they sound at least as good as the old JBL unit? Are they an exact drop-in replacement for my JBL 035ti? I note that the Ebay tweets are actually 035tia knockoffs, with the terminals together below the magnet. Will that be an issue? Will I need to modify the cabinets a bit?

3. I've not seen separate 052ti diaphragms offered anywhere. Are they simply not available? Would they even mount to the magnet assembly of my 035ti?

4. I'm assuming no one happens to have any NOS 035ti diaphragms gathering dust on a shelf somewhere, right? ;)

Because of finances, I'm leaning heavily toward those knockoffs. But, I love the sound of my L100t's, and don't want to foul things up. Any informed opinions on those things would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

rdgrimes
08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Not interested in used tweets? They are pretty easy to come by.

Thorzdad
08-16-2013, 04:23 AM
I suppose I would consider used ones If I had a good idea of their condition and age.

svollmer
08-16-2013, 05:05 AM
Another option is to look for a pair of beat up L20T, L60T, L80T, or L100T in your area on Craigslist. I've had mixed results, but I've also had some good luck. I got a nice pair of L60T's with only scratched veneer for $50. You could take the tweeters out and sell off the woofers on ebay. Or, if you find a pair of L80's, you could keep the tweeters and mids for spares and sell off the woofers.

There's also a lot of studio monitor versions that used the 035Ti, but I don't have those model numbers handy. Someone else may chime in.

Thorzdad
08-16-2013, 06:20 AM
I've been scouring CL in my area, but it's been pretty fruitless. A lot of computer speakers, mostly, and DJ equipment.
Still, I'd love to hear from anyone who might have experience with those Midwest knockoffs, as those would be the quickest fix for me.

Thorzdad
08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
As luck would have it, I found a promising new CL post in my area. A guy has a pair of L80T's for sale. He says the woofers need re-foaming. What would be a fair price for a pair of 80s with bad foam? He's asking $120. Seems a bit high, especially since I'm really just wanting the tweets (and possibly the mids, just in case), but I really don't know. I'm thinking $100 for the pair would be more fair.

rdgrimes
08-16-2013, 08:13 AM
As luck would have it, I found a promising new CL post in my area. A guy has a pair of L80T's for sale. He says the woofers need re-foaming. What would be a fair price for a pair of 80s with bad foam? He's asking $120. Seems a bit high, especially since I'm really just wanting the tweets (and possibly the mids, just in case), but I really don't know. I'm thinking $100 for the pair would be more fair.

If foam is really all they need, $120 is a steal. Don't quibble, just grab them.

SEAWOLF97
08-16-2013, 08:37 AM
$100 for a pair of 035's is about the going price. so ...

Thorzdad
08-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Gotcha. That makes sense.
I guess I'm just wrestling with the idea of paying $120 for a pair of tweets that might be at least as old as mine (and possibly about to fail, too). But, I get what you guys are saying. I'll definitely go look at them.

Is there any market for L80 woofers that need re-foamed? Crossovers? Heck, maybe even whole cabinets?

BMWCCA
08-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Is there any market for L80 woofers that need re-foamed? Crossovers? Heck, maybe even whole cabinets?Not really. That's why the L80T needing re-surrounding will often sell for $50/pair. :dont-know:

I keep telling my wife I'm buying them for half the price of the tweeters alone, then I fix them, like the sound, and keep finding more. I've never needed to replace or repair an 035ti that wasn't mangled from mishandling. I have seven pairs of JBLs with 035ti and all are working. I wouldn't be afraid of buying a working used pair. Age is not really the factor.

08-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Every 035 out there is past it's prime due to the rotten foam you will find under the dome. For me, the 052 is a much better design with the easily replaceable diaphragm still available. It even comes with new foam.

Unless you are prepared to remove the diaphragm and replace the foam, 035's all sound a little undamped to me. Your hearing may be such that they sound OK, but they have gotten a reputation for tizzy treble in lots of circles, in the most part because the foam has gone bad.

Practice taking your broken one apart before attempting a working one! It's very delicate work getting it apart and then you still need to find the right foam to put back in...

Thorzdad
08-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Practice taking your broken one apart before attempting a working one! It's very delicate work getting it apart and then you still need to find the right foam to put back in...
Yeah, I've taken an 035 apart before. It's a delicate operation, to be sure. Has anyone come up with a definite replacement for the foam shock-absorbers? Something that's readily available?

So, I got the L80's. The veneer on the cabinets is in remarkably good shape. Much better than my L100's, anyway. All the mids and tweets sound good, so they'll go into the "just in case" carton for the L100's. It also turned out that only one of the woofers need re-foamed. The other one is in great shape. Honestly, if I didn't already have the 100's, I'd re-foam the one woofer and enjoy these 80's.

Thanks, all, for the help! :thmbsup:

svollmer
08-19-2013, 03:48 AM
Congratulations! You may be able to reform the woofers and sell them, the grills, the crossovers, and the cabinets and get back some or most of your investment.

audiomagnate
03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Congratulations! You may be able to reform the woofers and sell them, the grills, the crossovers, and the cabinets and get back some or most of your investment.

I'll take the grilles!