PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all! I do miss JBL Balboa.....

DesertDog
08-10-2013, 09:07 PM
I worked at the JBL Northridge facility for four years....left in mid 1979. Best job I ever had. I finally bought a pair of L-166's up in Seattle in 1980 for $400. Best Damn speakers I have ever had. They are still original, very operational, and kick ass on an old Pioneer SX-828....or even my new Pioneer Elite receiver. On the L166 grille cover questions I have seen in another thread.....I was the Sr. Buyer there in Northridge from 1975 to 1979. I was responsible for all grilles and covers, all wood and veneers, labels, all packaging and other items...and a whole bunch more. I spent a lot of time with Jeff Chateau (Purchasing Manager) and Bob Bock (Materials Manager) working on the L 166 grille. Hats off to those who stayed....it was a brilliant company...I miss it. This is my first post.....I do wish those who were there with me the best. Desert Dog

Doc Mark
08-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Greetings, Desert Dog,

Welcome to the Lansing Heritage forums!! I know that your presence here will be much appreciated, and I, like many others, would love to hear any stories from that time period at JBL, that you would care to share. I would also strongly encourage you to attend what is quickly becoming a LH annual event, where as many forum members as can attend, gather at Ti Dome's home for an outstanding evening of JBL, food, fun, and music!! I missed last year's event, but the first year, Greg Timbers and Howard Durbin, both of JBL fame, were there, with Greg being honored for all his outstanding contributions to the industry!! Howard, too, shared many stories about his time at JBL, and of some of the things in which he had a part. So far, it's been held in the Summer, June/July time, and in San Pedro, CA. Please give a thought about joining us all next year, and I guarantee that you will be VERY glad that you did!!! Take care, again, welcome to LH!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Mr. Widget
08-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the forum...

Glad to hear you still have the L166s and are still enjoying them!
I'm curious, have you compared the sound of the old SX series Pioneer vs. your new Elite? I'd assume if the vintage unit is still reasonably close to spec, it would sound better.

Widget

DesertDog
08-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Hello. My old Pioneer SX-828 is out in our garage hooked up to the L-166's. (Temp!). The new Pioneer Elite is in storage right now...we are moving to San Diego next month. I will do an A-B test then, but I do think the old Pioneer SX828 and L166's will stay together. (And be moved inside!). They sound very good together. I do love the old Pioneer. I have a Marantz 2225 that actually sounds pretty good with them......and an old SAE separates system that also sounds good with the L-166's. I guess I am a collector of (what my boss calls "mid fi"). I also have a Sansui 9090 and a few other items......I am stuck in time, I'm afraid. Desert Dog

louped garouv
08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Hello...I am stuck in time, I'm afraid. Desert Dog

it's ok, you're in good company....
I run borderline antiques also...

welcome aboard.... any funny/fun/not so fun stories about the old workplace
you care to share?

when you have time...
I understand the whole move implications :)