PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine prototypes and other stuff for sale

cliffordh
08-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Howdy Boyz and Girlz

Cliff Henricksen here. In the process of simplifying my life and looking to the future, we are jettison-ing stuff we aren't using and which is just lying about. I am inventor of, among other things, the Altec Tangerine phase plugs and the Manta Ray horns. I have (no emotional attachment to) the two original 288B (alnico) prototypes and 802 Tangerine prototypes for sale, along with other Altec memerobelia and an "interesting" vinyl record album Altec gave out to its employees. This includes some replacement diaphragms, original print ads and a priceless (one way to look at it) message from Chuck Van Liew; "a message to employees".

I'll probably put this stuff on EBay for bidding, seeing as they are historic, unique drivers not available anywhere. They were made using minimum-shrink epoxy resin in silicon molds made from an amazing aluminum model (who knows where these are). I built them myself and the machine shop crowned them on a special lathe made for phase plugs. The 288 drivers are also accompanied by a pair of replacement drivers for 288 (all aluminum) and 291(aluminum with kapton surrounds), all made by The Ladies in Anaheim, right there on Katella AVenue and the 5 freeway.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what they'll bring? Want to offer me something that will halt my EBay adventure. More than an Aaron Hernandez letter? Here's some pichiz:

NickH
08-05-2013, 09:26 AM
I couldn't tell you what there worth. But it would be a cool piece of altec history.

I bet someone would pay more if you autographed them since you invented the tangerine. Very cool and welcome to the forum. We are all a bunch of lansing history junkies here.

Nick

cliffordh
08-06-2013, 04:19 AM
I couldn't tell you what there worth. But it would be a cool piece of altec history.

I bet someone would pay more if you autographed them since you invented the tangerine. Very cool and welcome to the forum. We are all a bunch of lansing history junkies here.

Nick

Will autograph. Silver pain pen or silver Sharpie ("shaaapee" here in Boston)

NickH
08-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Will autograph. Silver pain pen or silver Sharpie ("shaaapee" here in Boston)

I'm quite familiar with those shaapee's. I lived there for quite a few years in Quincy.

If I had the extra cash I'd buy one from you. But I've got to many system needs on the list. Can't get side tracked, lol.

Good luck finding that audio history a new home.

eb140
08-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Its great to see engineers making an appearance on sites like this! Thank you for posting!

Those are indeed, landmarks of Altec history from what I've read around the 'net.

I know these are scarce and that the tangerines are very desirable. Do you still have the drawings and specifications for this part? I have been applying myself to replica, classic audio parts with the use of CAD and 3D printing and would love to make these attainable again.

big2bird
08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
$100 + shipping? :D

louped garouv
08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Agreed, pretty cool to see the originators talking shop/stopping by...

I suggest starting them at .99 with no reserve on a 10 day auction...
that allows for emotional attachment to set in for the potential market targets...

gold paint pen....

a short note on the basis for/circumstance surrounding the upgrade
would also add to the unit's provenance...

as would a photo of you with the drivers/memorabilia in question...

are my thoughts, off hand

cliffordh
08-10-2013, 04:18 AM
Its great to see engineers making an appearance on sites like this! Thank you for posting!

Those are indeed, landmarks of Altec history from what I've read around the 'net.

I know these are scarce and that the tangerines are very desirable. Do you still have the drawings and specifications for this part? I have been applying myself to replica, classic audio parts with the use of CAD and 3D printing and would love to make these attainable again.

A note: these are not scarce. There are only one of each in the entire universe, all handmade original prototypes in 288B packages. ONe didn't get into production (the higher-frequency design with more "slices") Also, the 802 is the one that made it to production.

Fort Knox
08-10-2013, 05:42 AM
I read that the circular slot phasing plug was just that...
designed to align the outgoing freqs

oldsoundz
08-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Agreed, pretty cool to see the originators talking shop/stopping by...

I suggest starting them at .99 with no reserve on a 10 day auction...
that allows for emotional attachment to set in for the potential market targets...

gold paint pen....

a short note on the basis for/circumstance surrounding the upgrade
would also add to the unit's provenance...

as would a photo of you with the drivers/memorabilia in question...

are my thoughts, off hand

I agree. Use as many of these suggestions as possible and your auction should do well. I would try to start it on a Thursday evening and run it 10 days to get max viewing.

Thank you very much for sharing, and for your contributions to Altec speaker history.