PDA

View Full Version : Type/value/source for comp protection capacitor?.

cooky1257
08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

Basic question I know but the range and prices you can pay for large value caps has me completely confused as to the best/correct type..help!What do members use?
Comp crossed over at about 750hz.

Thanks

Cooky

grumpy
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
active crossover, direct-connected amplifier?

I'd start with something two octaves below crossover, based on the driver impedance
at that frequency. If there's a large thump or surge, either get a different amp, or move
the capacitor to a smaller value, understanding that it may affect the crossover response
enough that a change in crossover setting(s) may be required (e.g., make the cap response
part of the overall crossover that includes the electronic crossover ... possibly reducing the
slope of the high-pass function to accommodate the effect of the passive part).

Also, if excess gain is available, a resistive attenuator can also provide some protection.

cooky1257
08-01-2013, 12:25 PM
active crossover, direct-connected amplifier?

I'd start with something two octaves below crossover, based on the driver impedance
at that frequency. If there's a large thump or surge, either get a different amp, or move
the capacitor to a smaller value, understanding that it may affect the crossover response
enough that a change in crossover setting(s) may be required (e.g., make the cap response
part of the overall crossover that includes the electronic crossover ... possibly reducing the
slope of the high-pass function to accommodate the effect of the passive part).

Also, if excess gain is available, a resistive attenuator can also provide some protection.

This is good info thanks. So if I'm just looking at 100uF/250v on an 8 ohm 2452/Be I'd be far enough away from the active xover freq(750-800). My next question is do I use standard (solen say)passive component-this isn't exactly cheap:blink:?

Thanks

fpitas
08-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Take a look at motor-run capacitors. At least here in the States they're polypropylene film caps, and are available in values up to 100uF. Often you can find them on eBay for bargain prices.

macaroonie
08-01-2013, 03:02 PM
JBL chart

cooky1257
08-02-2013, 02:38 AM
Thanks guys,
I've gone for 80uF metalised film polypropylene ones.

Frank