PDA

View Full Version : Jbl2231/2205/2220

kawasakitech
07-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Hi

Just a few questions.
I have JBL 2220s in 8 cu ft cabinets with an Altec 808-8A/811B combo, (Radian Symbiotic diaphragms)
Originally crossed over at 1.2khz and now I'm trying 800hz.
Not too much difference in sound, maybe a bit darker.
I get a lot of midrange and nice clear highs
Listen mostly to 60s and 70s vinyl.
I am trying to get the clarity and detail that my brother gets out of '62 Wharfedale W60s, with a bit more low bass and more volume.
It's bi-amped and with an SAE parametric eq I can get better balance but the eq degrades the sound.
They have great midrange but not that much bass without the eq.
I am wondering if I go to a JBL 2231 will I get better low bass and a similar midrange sound?
What about the 2205?
Can any one recommend a better horn.
Even though I can't really find fault with it.
I actually think that a lot of my problems with clarity stem from the cabinet being large and creating sound of it's own and the room filling up with reflected sound.
Any suggestions on treating a listening room or books to read.
I read "Recording Studio Design" by Philip Newell but he doesn't really go into listening room design, but he covers a lot of ground.
Thanks

Earl K
07-29-2013, 12:28 PM
<<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>

I am wondering if I go to a JBL 2231 will I get better low bass and a similar midrange sound?
What about the 2205?
Can any one recommend a better horn.
Even though I can't really find fault with it.
I actually think that a lot of my problems with clarity stem from the cabinet being large and creating sound of it's own and the room filling up with reflected sound.
Any suggestions on treating a listening room or books to read.
I read "Recording Studio Design" by Philip Newell but he doesn't really go into listening room design, but he covers a lot of ground.

- The 2231/5 will trade-off midrange liveliness for more real bass ( so choose your poison carefully ) .

- An all original 2205 could work ( one with the original still at 30hz fs ) / but I highly doubt you could find a pair with all original cones & coils ( they'd most likely be reconed with 2225 cone kits where the Fs was shifted up to 40hz ) .

- A pair of all original Altec 416-8B woofers could meet your criteria ( as well as GPA's version of the 416-8B , which now has changed Ts parameters necessitating a smaller box from what you currently have ) . ( fyi ) GPA = Great Plains Audio

- Download REW ( Room EQ Wizard from HTS ) / learn how to use it / then learn how to make DIY room treatment baffles by using Google as your best bud / & then get your rooms' RT60/T30 times down to between .2 to .4 secs ( from 100hz to @ 10K ) . That'll be the best money you ever spent on HiFi doo-dads .

- Build the 1201-8a crossover for your system ( while still using your 811 horns ). Do some Googling about coming up with damping treatments to stop their inherent ringing .

:)

kawasakitech
08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Hi

Thank you for your thoughts and tips
The 2220s and the 2205s were both recones that I bought back in the mid 80s at a reconing shop in New Westminster BC called Precision Audio.
Both sets were never picked up by the owners so they were sold to cover the cost.
I wish I could find "Joe" that used to run it but it's gone now, I moved away for 20 years, he could be dead now as he seemed old to me then even though I'm probably older than that now.
I have no clue as to the type of cones used.
I could try to generate TS parameters I guess.
I have damped the horns with expanding foam on the outside, looks like shit but works really well.
Can't see it as it's in the cabinet.