PDA

View Full Version : 4313 -- Part Deaux

cgregory4
07-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Seems like I'm posting a lot, but I really do appreciate, and need, your assistance.

When I received my 4313s (NOT B ;?) The highs were good, the bass sounded better with a 'sock' in the port, and the mids were disappointing. Most responders said their 4313Bs or L96s were 'top shelf' or 'desert island' speakers -- ie hard to beat.

I received my 4425s and marveled at the sound. So I had to look again at my 4313s.

So here's what I have: The tweeters are 066 (?), or I think so, given the power of flashlights and mirrors! ;?) That's good, right? They certainly sound good.

The woofers are LE111As -- is that a good driver? It definitely delivers the goods! And, their heft explains why I felt the need to use 'stuff 'n fluff' in the port! I love a heavy bass driver! But .... that number (LE111A) doesn't seem to be used much in 4313 posts, so I could sure use some education there. Any help is appreciated!

I think the reason the mid seemed so anemic was in comparison to what I was hearing from the top and bottom. Who knows ......

Well, I'm painfully new to the JBL party, and I realize that. However ......... it seems to me I need an upgrade on the mid, and then I have the 'makins' for a great speaker.

One other beef wrt the 4313s I have: the speaker connectors will not accept even a 14 awg conductor. Is this normal? I know how to correct that one. The crossover board is readily accessible with the woofer out -- shouldn't I put some high quality binding posts in place, while I have the opportunity? Or, would that be violating an unwritten JBL law? :?) That little, tiny twist connector seems out of place, wrt the rest of the speaker 'build'.

So my main question is on the mid: What is my best option? Damn the cost ;?) -- these babies look too good to not sound equally good!

Thank you,

Greg

SEAWOLF97
07-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Your "twist lock" connectors are, believe it or not, better than most of the "L series" spring posts. Absolutely , go for replacing what you have with modern gold 5 ways....most owners already have.

Just stash the old ones away , in case you ever resell , for the next owner.

yes, that's an 066 HF. I would check out the pot on the mid before blaming the driver. work it in a full arc 10-15 times and experiment with position.

Funny .. many times the twist locks were a change into the "B" versions ....and a "B" stamped into the foilcal.

cgregory4
07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
OK, I'm starting to 'get it' now. I revisited the initial 4313 thread and re-read the posts. There was a lot of info there that I missed, including the answer to my woofer question, additional explanation of the mids, and more advice on the pots. I now have a lot more 'context' for the speaker, as well as the components.

A New Mexico neighbor, rdgrimes, suggested I sell the 4313s and get L96s. Actually, he sort of helped me indict myself wrt the mental path I was taking on my new speakers. I think I'll just relax, read more of the history of the existing drivers, exercise the pots; and then exercise my ears, listening to the 4313s (not B ;?), and enjoying them for what they are -- rather than worrying about what they are not. Go figure.

Maybe some upgrades are in order .... but, if so, at another, later time.

I think that has always been a hard call for me. I spent a year restoring some Infinity QLS-2s. And, an additional year listening to them with the original DVC woofers. I always felt they were not quite 'tight' enough. I switched to the next generation of woofer, and that's where I will stay. It's still mostly original, but with a pleasant adjustment.

I want to honor the original designs, but it's OK to make slight 'tweak' here and there, don't you think?

I'll spend a year with the 4313s and go from there. Thanks again,

Greg

DavidF
07-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Lows: It would be helpful to hear how you set up the systems. You should not need to damp the vent output unless there are some resonance issues in the room (like mine). On stands? Near walls? etc.

Mids: I would make the attempt to clean up the Lpads for the highs and mids. Seems you intend to go down that path.

Personally I would not be concerned with changing out the termination posts. There is not a love for those twisting JBL posts. Did save some room and helped avoid loose wires shorting at the posts which makes sense from a manufacturers perspective.

Audiobeer
07-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Greg, there is a bypass resistor that you can put in the crossover that helps a bit. I'll do a search, it's somewhere here in the archives. I think wants you get the pots cleaned you'll love them!

cgregory4
07-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Thank you! Yes, I'll be cleaning the pots. They do seem rough. With the responses I've been getting, the fault is surely 'between my ears' ;?), or the pots, or the resistor you mentioned, or ................. the pair of 300Ls that have me hugely distracted! LOL!

Yes, I'm a sick 'puppy'.