PDA

View Full Version : Second JBL ;?) "Houston, we have a winner!"

cgregory4
07-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks for your comments on my new (to me) 4313s last week. I set them aside for awhile -- generally thinking they were improved in the B version, and pondering what I want to do to get the midrange right.

BUT, on Friday the FedEx guy delivered the 2nd JBL installment: 4425s.My understated response: "Wow!" Seriously, the best 2-way to ever travel to the 'man cave'. They won't be going anywhere from here.The music comes from everywhere! And, exactly the right 'sweet spot': lower, mid, upper, sitting, standing, adjacent room, ............... ;?) Incredible!

Will talk with the estate sale guy in sunny California later today about the L220s. If I confirm the drivers are all original, I'll probably go for the $800. Shipping will likely be another $300. $1100 -- that's not too bad, do you think?

The next stop after that: 4333s? That will take some time, so I'm prepared to be patient. Right now, I'll be surprised if I can drag anything through the door that will top the 4425s! Did I mention that I really like them?! ;?)

Hooked on JBL -- as of Friday.

Greg

PS Why do I have a burning desire to buy these 'puppies' and ask questions later?

!http://www.ebay.com/itm/141014602617?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6004wt_1302

Questions? Yes, you know ..... insignificant ones, such as, "Did JBL ever build a speaker around these gems?"

07-13-2013, 08:12 PM

PS Why do I have a burning desire to buy these 'puppies' and ask questions later?

!http://www.ebay.com/itm/141014602617?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_6004wt_1302

Questions? Yes, you know ..... insignificant ones, such as, "Did JBL ever build a speaker around these gems?"

L-200 used the short foghorns. I like the longer ones better, think L-300!

4425's can really change your perspective. CD does that. Last pair I saw was on a sound stage, filling the room with great sound for about 50-60 people. From 15 feet up.

rdgrimes
07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
If the 4425 trips your trigger, you should be looking for 4430 or the holy grail, 4435 (http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf).

Wardsweb
07-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Greg you are in full blown addiction. There is no cure. You can only feed it more speakers, so have fun.

SEAWOLF97
07-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Why do I have a burning desire to buy these 'puppies' and ask questions later?

do your homework before "pulling the trigger" , there were some duds, and some different "personalities" ie: not all JBLs have
"the JBL sound"

cgregory4
07-15-2013, 10:26 AM
WOLF -- Yes. Your brief, courteous response to my second 4313 caused me to rethink my perspective on this JBL trip. I'm 65, but I've been silly as a goose. It has been quite a while since I have been this excited about any part of this passion we call audio.

Two things are clear: First, the amount of information on the Lansing Heritage site is staggering -- both the Library, as well as the forum discussions. Second, and probably more important, is the depth of knowledge, as well as the cordiality of the forum members. When I reread 4313B's post on my first thread, I completely missed the reference to him actually visiting with the speaker designer! Then, I looked briefly at the 20 page thread on various monitors and designs. Simply unbelievable.

Actually, those observations make me painfully aware of a third reality: my depth of 'duh'! ;?)

Wardsweb -- You are absolutely 'spot on'! I am truly 'smitten'! ;?)

But, I've figured out that I've been going about this process 'bass ackward', so to speak. I've been fortunate: 2 JBL speakers purchased -- and they are 2 'keepers'. I can't expect to continue that sort of success in the future, unless I 'check my hold card' first ... here in this site, with this expertise. In Texas parlance, I choose to heed the counsel of the forum: "Ask questions first! And shoot later!" ;?)

Thanks to all!

Greg