PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ON 1st JBL ;?) >> 4313 PRO

cgregory4
07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I received my first JBLs yesterday. They are in exceptional shape. If the 4425s due here on Saturday are anywhere as close in condition to these, I'll be thrilled.

I'm attaching a couple photos. The wood is lovely, to say the least. The metal control panel is stamped 14595 -- Ser # ?

Frankly, the first listen was a bit discouraging. I was distracted by the bass over-excursion -- just a bit boomy for me. However, a 4" to 5" plug of acoustic material in the port changed that situation completely! The speakers sounded much more musical -- top-to-bottom. ;?)

So I sat back to listen for a bit and mostly enjoyed the music. However the midrange seemed a bit 'edgy'. I placed a fairly neutral mid next to the JBL mid, and then played both at equal (Fairly low SPLs) levels at the same time. The other mid was clearly 'cleaner'.

First really stupid question (But, I promise to follow-up with many more. ;?):
My mid is the LE5-9. Is there a better one 'out there'? In my research, I've discovered a whole 'herd' of LE5 variations. For example, there is one on eBay that fits my 'heftier is better' philosophy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380674739764?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_366wt_1174 It also looks to have some 'character. ;?)

I'm sure there are other choices. I just want a very controlled midrange, especially at higher volumes, when the mid amp/driver quality becomes increasingly evident.

Or .... maybe do nothing. This dude is so new looking, maybe it hasn't been saddled up, ridden, and 'tamed'. Thanks to all!

Greg

4313B
07-09-2013, 09:19 AM
The LE5H, 2105H, LE5-9 and LE5-11 were arguably the best of the bunch. The LE5H (Home) and 2105H (Pro) had the pretty foilcals and push terminals (now known as Finished Goods). The LE5-9 and LE5-11 had the faston connectors and no foilcals (now known as Parts). All of them had the copper ribbon voice coil which JBL no longer makes.

The LE5-10 and LE5-12 were arguably second. They had the round wire voice coil which JBL still makes.

The LE5-2 and 2105 were tolerable back when there wasn't anything better to be had. JBL still might have some "special" LE5-2/2105 kits but I haven't checked in years.

cgregory4
07-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Thank you for responding. I suppose your 'avatar' says you are a 4313B fan? ;?) I'm not 'trashing' the speakers -- just giving some first impressions -- so please don't be offended.

Can you tell me about my speaker? If I Google 4313, it wants to place 'b' at the end -- every time! There must be 100,000 Bs for every 4313 'non-B'! ;?)

The 4313 model line was (is?) apparently available for a long time. Where does my 'odd' model lie, within that historical production context?

I know it is pitiful to be as ignorant as I am at this point. But, at least I know it, and will be grateful for any consideration you can give, regarding the 4313 model, and esp how it might relate to my 1st JBL 'baby." ;?)

Proud 'Father',

Greg

4313B
07-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah, the 4313B was one of my favorites. I'm not offended if people don't like them.

The 4313 was the original version with an AlNiCo LE111A. It shared similarities with the twelve-inch 124A/2203A and fifteen-inch 136A/2231A low frequency transducers and was a departure from the LE10A.

The 4313B was second generation with the SFG ferrite LE10H and was more like the LE10A.

I have discovered over the years that numerous forum members have either owned them, or currently own them. I suppose they all like them for whatever reasons.

Their designer and I revisited them early in the last decade and he summed them up - "The ten-inch three-ways were always very well behaved systems." (context 4313, L110, L96)

grumpy
07-09-2013, 10:32 AM
I'd suggest getting them up off the floor, and using the adjustments
(verify that the L-pads control driver output smoothly and continuously)
Turn down the mid control a dB or two if that sounds better...

These should be fairly neutral sounding if operating and used correctly...
They are, however ~34 years old, and may need some effort to bring
back to spec (e.g., worn woofer suspension "spider" ... sometimes just
a 'refoam' isn't enough).

It's also possible that you just prefer a different presentation.

Nice purchase/find.

rdgrimes
07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
My $.02:
If you want to improve the 4313b, sell it and get a pair of L96. ;)
I have limited experience with the LE5-9, but I found it to be a little harsh when pushed hard.
The LE5-12 (and 10 and 8) are my favorite, and improve when pushed hard with abundant power. I also think the LE10H-1 of the L96 is about as good as a 10" driver can get. I am firmly biased, having owned a pair of L96 since they were new, but it is a perfect example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts.

Audiobeer
07-09-2013, 05:13 PM
To my ears the 4313B have always been one of my favorite speakers. They just seem to do everything right. Good honest flat speakers. If music is recorded well they are magical. Bad recordings just sound like crap. Everytime I've gotten rid of them I always return to them.

BMWCCA
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
They just seem to do everything right. Good honest flat speakers.Pretty much the same description I give for the L96 when asked. I often call them my "desert island" speakers. If I could only keep one pair . . .

gferrell
07-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Nice find! Enjoy them!