PDA

View Full Version : It helped, "sorta"

midlife
07-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Wasn't really satisfied with my Century L100's sound, sooo...I pulled the original xovers and replaced them with N50's (from L50's). It has gotten better, but the lf driver seems even boomier than before. I plugged the bass reflex port and that has helped some but the boominess is still quite noticeable. What can I do? Is there a way to make the bass driver less efficient without throwing the rest of the frequency range outta whack. I'm fairly determined to get a better balance from these speakers without going to high dollar mods. Help appreciated

pos
07-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Do you have them off the floor?

If this does not solve your problem here is a second option: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

BMWCCA
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
What can I do? Is there a way to make the bass driver less efficient without throwing the rest of the frequency range outta whack. I'm fairly determined to get a better balance from these speakers without going to high dollar mods. Help appreciated

Put them back to stock, sell them, purchase some L112s and pocket the difference! :D

hjames
07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Wasn't really satisfied with my Century L100's sound, sooo...I pulled the original xovers and replaced them with N50's (from L50's). It has gotten better, but the lf driver seems even boomier than before. I plugged the bass reflex port and that has helped some but the boominess is still quite noticeable. What can I do? Is there a way to make the bass driver less efficient without throwing the rest of the frequency range outta whack. I'm fairly determined to get a better balance from these speakers without going to high dollar mods. Help appreciated

But they are L100 speakers, thats what they DO - as Zilch used to say, "Fake but fun bass ..."
Do like Phil says,
put them back to stock, sell them for premium money,
and replace them with more realistic speakers!

midlife
07-02-2013, 03:50 PM
I got them in vg/excl condition for $300 (non original grille material), shoulda flipped 'em and got 112's or another pair of Horizons. I got a hard head and a bit of work to re-install the original xovers...rrrrrrrrrr!

SEAWOLF97
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
disengage "loudness" button/switch" , move "bass" knob to "0" ... put them on stands and move away from walls or corners. Don't listen to gansta/hip-hop. ;)

or
put back to stock , sell and buy something more accurate (NOT Jubals)

My little dining room setup of 18TI's on 24 inch stands with a separate 10 inch powered JBL sub made a very satisfying , well balanced system .
its almost a full range sat/sub system and now the bass level is customizable.

another pair of Horizons.

I kind miss mine.

midlife
07-03-2013, 08:21 AM
The higher I get them off the floor the less boomy the bass sounds. Can I place them vertically, having the woofer on the top with 1 foot high cabinet risers?

SEAWOLF97
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
The higher I get them off the floor the less boomy the bass sounds. Can I place them vertically, having the woofer on the top with 1 foot high cabinet risers?

give it a try , can't hurt anything ....HF may suffer a little ?

try tilting upwards a bit too

badman
07-08-2013, 03:37 PM
There's no saving that enclosure, as is. the 123A is a VERY capable woofer but not in that undersized box, and not tuned high like it is.

Like the boys say, revert, sell, and get something less colored.

Mr. Widget
07-08-2013, 09:19 PM
There's no saving that enclosure, as is. the 123A is a VERY capable woofer but not in that undersized box, and not tuned high like it is.

Like the boys say, revert, sell, and get something less colored.When used on tall stands putting them at ear level out in the room away from the walls they actually sound pretty good... as in above the meter bridge of the console in a '70s era recording studio. ;)

Widget

Chas
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
When used on tall stands putting them at ear level out in the room away from the walls they actually sound pretty good... as in above the meter bridge of the console in a '70s era recording studio. ;)

Widget

Yup, that workes nicely, for me too, with my 4411's on 30" stands.:)