PDA

View Full Version : JBLs -- New disease?

cgregory4
07-02-2013, 11:31 AM
As a 65 year old 'geezer' with no less than 15 sets of speakers in the guest bedroom, the last thing I need is another 'bad habit'.

Until last week, I've avoided JBLs like 'The Plague'. I had no special negative bias, except a few years ago I took one 'quick' look at the number of vintage models -- both 'Home' and 'Pro' -- and, as if that was not enough, the driver options and model changes! I instantly closed the Internet page!

Sans the boring details, I am fated to receive a set of 4313 Pros this week, 4425s next week, and L220s the week after that. I'm telling my wife of 37 years that they followed me home from the grocery. (Although it may prove tough -- sticking to that story, that is.)

Two questions:
1. How much will I know about the JBL 'sound', given that sampling?
2. How much will I NOT know? Specifically, if I want to limit physical size somewhat (For example, although I'm sure some will say a 4435 is the only option to appreciate the intended design/sound for that series, the 4425s may give me a 'taste'. I can always buy 'the whole enchilada' at a later date.), can you suggest 3 additional models that would be 'Must Listens'?

Please keep in mind that I live in a part of west Texas that FedEx only services every two months -- if they have a delivery. ;?) IE -- Anything I 'sample' will probably be purchased from, say, sunny CA, and delivered via covered wagon to my residence.

What 3 do I 'go for'?

Always an easy vintage audio 'mark',

Greg

BMWCCA
07-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Welcome. Always nice to have another addict in the fold.

You'll like the overall sound of the 4313 and 4425. Honest, accurate, and well balanced. They should play anything well. You may be missing the low-end grunt of the larger systems but they should still make you smile. L220 is a different matter in that "I'm told" the promise of the driver set isn't truly delivered. I own the L150A and it is impressive without the larger drivers of the L220. I can't believe the L220 is the big disappointment everyone says they are but I haven't heard them in three decades and can't recall what I heard them compared to when they were new. All I can remember is I bought the L112s but that may have been cost and size over sound at that time, causing me not to pay that much attention to the larger JBLs at 50% to nearly 100% more money.

If you ask me, I'd say don't miss the 43xx 4-ways. I stopped collecting once I got my 4345s.

Have fun and let us know what you think, and what you're comparing them to.

SEAWOLF97
07-02-2013, 02:38 PM
I interpret that you want BIG ? if not, then the ones that I've had and sold and missed were the L86, L166 & 4410

Some may notice that as a 250TI owner, I am not recommending them. They are wonderful , BUT on average recordings , they aren't much better than the L166 Horizons, BUT on good recordings, well ..they are pretty good.

No matter what you buy, a B-460 sub can augment any of your choices.

Most of my listening is in the office/bedroom where space is at a premium, needed towers to fit the area ....L7's were good, but a little placement picky , so have a/d/s L-1290's in there and am happy with that setup too. (2 eights and a narrow cabinet ), I had AR90's there, but the a/d/s/ are more musical

BMWCCA
07-02-2013, 03:22 PM
I interpret that you want BIG ?
Well, actually he said: " . . . if I want to limit physical size somewhat . . ."

No matter what you buy, a B-460 sub can augment any of your choices.
I'm not going to argue that opinion but it does pretty much highlight the difference between 250 owners who seem to be eternally on the lookout for the B-460, and 4345 owners who aren't!

:wave:

cgregory4
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Thank you for the kind consideration of your comments -- especially the "Welcome, Pard!", or something to that effect. ;?)

I don't want to 'trip' my own thread, so I'll interject, and then get out of the way:
1. Is it sorta accurate to say a 4343 is a reasonable facsimile of the 4345, but with less 'gusto' (and occupied territory)? Similar to 4425 vs its big brothers? If so, a worthy 43XX to pursue?
2. As mentioned, the L220 seems such a "Let's think out of the box this morning." comment over the morning cup of coffee. "Our phenomenal tweeter, a proven midrange cone with lens for refraction (Always wanted to hear/see that!), and tight passive bass sound (Making the woofer seem larger because .... well .... in effect .... it is. What's not to like?"

BMWCCA
07-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Is it sorta accurate to say a 4343 is a reasonable facsimile of the 4345, but with less 'gusto' (and occupied territory)? Similar to 4425 vs its big brothers? If so, a worthy 43XX to pursue?Sure, like a BMW 328i is a reasonable facsimile of 335is . . . if you know what I mean. With "just a different motor!" Either are worthy to pursue, for sure. :thmbsup:

brhalltx
07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
All I want to know is... What grocery store are you shopping at?

rdgrimes
07-02-2013, 07:56 PM
There's no substitute for a big-assed 4-way design. It's hard to go wrong following that rule.

shaansloan
07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Thank you for the kind consideration of your comments -- especially the "Welcome, Pard!", or something to that effect. ;?)

I don't want to 'trip' my own thread, so I'll interject, and then get out of the way:
1. Is it sorta accurate to say a 4343 is a reasonable facsimile of the 4345, but with less 'gusto' (and occupied territory)? Similar to 4425 vs its big brothers? If so, a worthy 43XX to pursue?

Hey Greg, welcome to the forum... once you get them JBL's fired up you'll have the disease for sure....

L250's are fabulous 4 ways and very impressive... I have heard them at Rd's.... an excellent buy at around $1500-$2000....
240Ti's - I own a pair of these (3 ways)...as TDome said, "The are one of the best values for the $$$" .... I agree best $800 value around.
4343B - I own a perfect pair (4 ways) and run them with a Carver M1.5t .... near perfection in Hi-Fi in my opinion - will cost ya $4000-$6000...
4333A - I own a pair (3 ways) and like them very much and run them with a Carver M1.5t.. I think the bass is a slight improvement on the 4343B, but the whole sound stage is better offered in the 4343B.... but the 4333 is no slouch.... it is an excellent speaker... will cost ya $2800-$4500... the L300 is a similar home version and is very nice.... I have owned a pair and recommend them for sure...

I have heard many good comments about the 4344 and the 4430's.... of course the 4345 is the big dawg and the one to have in that series... if money is no object Kenji has the best monitors on the planet. jbl43.com

Many on the forum recommend the 1400 Array and say it is the best value under $10,000.... I have not heard a pair yet but everyone raves about them.... there is a pair on Audiogon right now for $8000....

FYI, I have found that many of the smaller bookshelves can offer a great listen when paired with some nice old tubes... L86, L96, L112, L100, L65(Jubal), L166, even the little L19, L26, L40's.... sweet stuff!

Happy JBLing... :thmbsup: Shaan