PDA

View Full Version : M2 waveguide

Mostlydiy
06-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Have anyone had the chance to try this one out?

/Mostly

DavidF
06-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Someone at the Second Annual Lansing Heritage gathering asked Greg about his take on the M2. Greg was very positive about it. The discussion was initially about the waveguide and the dual concentric compression driver. The way I heard things the horn driver’s diaphragms were designed typically for Pro, that is high sound levels that had to accommodate incrementally higher distortion figures.

When Greg mentioned the woofer (2216) his enthusiasm went up a notch. He felt that this model was the best yet in approaching the speed and dynamics of a compression driver. There was some discussion among Greg, Jerry and Doug on the design and the unique wiring aspect. So perhaps the 2216ND is the next must-have/can’t-get woofer for DIY use in 2 or 3 way horn systems.

See also:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33972-JBL-Master-Reference-Monitor (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?33972-JBL-Master-Reference-Monitor)

ivica
06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Someone at the Second Annual Lansing Heritage gathering asked Greg about his take on the M2. Greg was very positive about it. The discussion was initially about the waveguide and the dual concentric compression driver. The way I heard things the horn driver’s diaphragms were designed typically for Pro, that is high sound levels that had to accommodate incrementally higher distortion figures. ...........................

It would be interesting to me to read something about M2 horn (waveguide), as it seems to me M2 as 'overemphasized' curves of the unreachable PT-H95HF family horn. I wonder what would be the results using M2 horn with some 'ordinary' 1.5-inch drivers such as 2451 / 52 drivers.

Regards Ivica

Mostlydiy
06-12-2013, 04:21 AM
As I understand it the D2 is not really ment for hifi and the 476Be is still superior sound wise. Would be interesting to hear a 476Be coupled with this M2 waveguide. I wonder if the need for a tweeter will be next to none in that case.

/Mostly

ivica
06-12-2013, 05:09 AM
As I understand it the D2 is not really ment for hifi and the 476Be is still superior sound wise. Would be interesting to hear a 476Be coupled with this M2 waveguide. I wonder if the need for a tweeter will be next to none in that case.

/Mostly

Hi Mostlydiy,

I do not understand "D2 is not really meant for hi-fi" does that mean D2 has too large THD of IMD, or its impulse response is too 'ringing look-like', and what can be respective counterpart. Owing to D2 diaphragms construction (ring type, two 'in opposite') I can guess that its impulse response is less 'ringing like', with less resonances 'modes'.
It would be nice if anybody can show us more details about.

Regards
Ivica

moparfan
06-12-2013, 05:16 AM
A lot of times, that could be translated as too uncolored or too accurate for other audiophile equipment.

Hi Mostlydiy,

I do not understand "D2 is not really meant for hi-fi" does that mean D2 has too large THD of IMD, or its impulse response is too 'ringing look-like', and what can be respective counterpart. Owing to D2 diaphragms construction (ring type, two 'in opposite') I can guess that its impulse response is less 'ringing like', with less resonances 'modes'.
It would be nice if anybody can show us more details about.

Regards
Ivica

Mostlydiy
06-12-2013, 05:34 AM
DavidF Someone at the Second Annual Lansing Heritage gathering asked Greg about his take on the M2. Greg was very positive about it. The discussion was initially about the waveguide and the dual concentric compression driver. The way I heard things the horn driver’s diaphragms were designed typically for Pro, that is high sound levels that had to accommodate incrementally higher distortion figures.

As always, Im reflecting information that others previously wrote. I havent heard the D2 or the 476Be. Actually it was more lika a question rather than a statement. I would also be interested in oppinions of the ones that have had the privilege to have heard the D2.

It appears that the D2 can be found in PA equipment rather than in hifi equipment which I more or less figured had a reason.

/Mostly

ivica
06-12-2013, 05:40 AM
.......... that could be translated as too uncolored or too accuratefor other equipment.

As I understand looking for the amplifier or CD or... other equipment, we are trying to get as less as possible coloration in order to get more realistic sound, but some time people tastes is not easy to understand or accept. That is why I can hardly understand something like:
" 4343 or 4345 studio monitors are 'less forgiving' type, while newer models such as K2-9900 or DD66000 "are MORE FORGIVING", and that is one of the reasons that the newer are 'light years ahead of the oldies"....

Regards
Ivica

pos
10-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Looky what I just found:

JBL EON 610, 110° horizontal pattern with a 1" exit compression driver

Looks familiar :D

When looked at this way, the M2 waveguide technology looks like a "different" way of solving the "round driver/square waveguide" transition problem.