PDA

View Full Version : Need some help choosing an amp

MikeyMoNYC
06-11-2013, 07:24 AM
First post on here!!

Currently own a set of vintage Altec speakers. 2 - 15" 515 subs, 2 808-4Z drivers attached to what I believe are 511B horns, running through N1201-8A crossovers.

Right now I use them for outdoor parties at home and run them through my audio head unit/amplifier. However, in a couple of weeks I will be using them to provide the sound for a parade float. The head unit is old and unreliable so I'm looking into renting a more modern amp to do the job. However my knowledge in this area is limited so any suggestions/advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

What kind/size/wattage amp should I be looking for?

Do I also need a preamp to go along with this?

Thanks!!

Mr. Widget
06-11-2013, 08:12 AM
Welcome to the forum!

You probably should use an amp that is between 100 and 200 wpc. Since you are not after an "audiophile" experience, a simple solid state amp is likely all you need. What you need depends on the particular application. You certainly need a line stage if your input sources are line level as in a CD player or a computer with DAC or an iPod etc. If you are using a mic you will need an appropriate mic preamp.

A basic power amp does not have a line stage built in and requires an external preamp. An integrated amp has a line stage incorporated into the single chassis and in the older gear it typically had a phono preamp as well. Some integrated amps have a mic input though they are not typically suitable for professional low impedance mics.

There are tons of semi-pro audio solutions with many configurations that can also work. These may be powered mixers or various types of head amps which are use specific integrated amplifiers.

Widget

grumpy
06-11-2013, 08:31 AM
There are tons of semi-pro audio solutions with many configurations that can also work. These may be powered mixers or various types of head amps which are use specific integrated amplifiers.
Widget

+1 ... That's what I was thinking. Something -like- this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/peavey-pv-5300-5-channel-powered-mixer

There are better and worse versions of this type of unit out there. Renting one shouldn't be too bad if the speaker jacks aren't worn out.
Stable AC on the float? Something with a -good- universal power supply (switcher) might work better in a generator environment... you'd
want to make sure the rental provider understands your use/environment.

MikeyMoNYC
06-11-2013, 08:33 AM
thanks for the reply!!

I will be using a Numark Mixtrack Pro running off my PC for the music...it has RCA outputs on it.

http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrackpro

would a line stage still be neccessary?

What type of inputs would commonly be found on a typical amp?

grumpy
06-11-2013, 08:54 AM
You could probably get away without a line stage with that unit (which has RCA out, so stay with that for your amp).

The numark mixer has a mic input also (probably for a dynamic, non-condensor type only... e.g. shure SM58), so you're good there
if you need it.

Keep the line-level lengths as short as possible (trade off for longer speaker cables if necessary). Float is going to be
an electrically noisy environment.

fpitas
06-11-2013, 10:18 AM
thanks for the reply!!

I will be using a Numark Mixtrack Pro running off my PC for the music...it has RCA outputs on it.

http://www.numark.com/product/mixtrackpro

would a line stage still be neccessary?

What type of inputs would commonly be found on a typical amp?

A typical pro amp uses balanced inputs with XLR or TRS connectors. If you're coming out as RCA, you'll need an adapter cable that grounds the - input of amp to the RCA ground. That's better than adapting at the amp input with an RCA-XLR adapter; if you go that route using an adapter, put the adapter at the RCA end and run XLR-XLR cable. That way you take advantage of the common mode rejection at the amp input to reject hum and noise.

ratitifb
06-11-2013, 11:59 PM
may i suggest that way to connect the ground and shield :)

from http://www.rane.com/note110.html

fpitas
06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
may i suggest that way to connect the ground and shield :)

from http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Not connecting the shield at both ends has pros and cons. You avoid 60Hz currents in the shield from ground rise, but the shield is then only good for electrostatic (vs magnetic) shielding, since there is no complete circuit. I generally prefer the shield grounded at both ends because it offers better shielding of RF interference, which the input op-amp is not equipped to reject.

ratitifb
06-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Not connecting the shield at both ends has pros and cons. You avoid 60Hz currents in the shield from ground rise, but the shield is then only good for electrostatic (vs magnetic) shielding, since there is no complete circuit. I generally prefer the shield grounded at both ends because it offers better shielding of RF interference, which the input op-amp is not equipped to reject.that's true but the practical answer is probably "try both and see what that do work best".

Depending on the chassis/ground equipment concept we generally have to deal with hum & noise at LF (ground loops) and with EMI at RF.Shield grounded only at the output end (XLR) with no low-frequency ground current and grounded through a capacitor at the input end (RCA) would be good at RF if the capacitor type and positioning are correctly designed. In addition you can deal with RF by adding a ferrite bead through the input wire (see Neutrik EMC connector series)

But the best practice is to play with full balanced interconnection system :bouncy:

Great lecture from http://www.bennettprescott.com/downloads/grounding_tutorial.pdf :)

fpitas
06-13-2013, 06:08 AM
that's true but the practical answer is probably "try both and see what that do work best".
Depending on the chassis/ground equipment concept we have generally to deal with hum & noise at LF (ground loops) and with EMI at RF.
Shield grounded only at the output end (XLR) with no low-frequency ground current and grounded through a capacitor at the input end (RCA) would be good at RF if the capacitor type and positioning are correctly designed. In addition you can deal with RF by adding a ferrite bead through the input wire (see Neutrik EMC connector series)
But the best practice is to play with full balanced interconnection system :bouncy:

Yes, no argument here.

ratitifb
06-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Yes, no argument here. ground loops :dont-know:

This would not be an issue if both ends of the cable were at exactly the same potential, which is almost impossible to create... while a small capacitor at the "open" shield end will do the job against RF ...