PDA

View Full Version : JBL LE8T and LE8TH ALNICO & FERRITE

Aquaplas
05-24-2013, 11:43 PM
I know these have ALNICO and Ferrite Magnets. Has anyone ever compared the two will charged Alnico magnets?:confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds...:)

Aloha!

Maron Horonzakz
05-25-2013, 07:04 AM
WASTE OF TIME,,,VOICE COIL DONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE, :bouncy:

Mr. Widget
05-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I think what Maron is saying is that magnet material doesn't affect performance. In many cases this is true, but not all. Due to geometry differences (alnico magnets are typically an extension of the pole piece and ferrite magnets are typically an annular magnet surrounding the voice coil) and the way the magnetic material itself behaves can affect the distortion levels and types of distortion.

In answer to your question however, unfortunately I have no idea.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
05-26-2013, 07:01 AM
All speakers distort...But I dont know if its from Magnet geomatry or compliance paramators of cone breakup..:bouncy:

NickH
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
I know these have ALNICO and Ferrite Magnets. Has anyone ever compared the two will charged Alnico magnets?:confused:

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds...:)

Aloha!

I recall a post where Greg Timbers himself said it did. That's definitive enough for me. Plus if it didn't then why did they make the 1500al?

The curie temperature alone warrants it does.

Mostlydiy
06-08-2013, 04:18 AM
The Ferrite version handles more power which in this case I know I for one would prefer.

/Mostly

4313B
06-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Plus if it didn't then why did they make the 1500al?JBL documented and published what they had to do to stabilize alnico for use in a transducer. The result was the 1500AL.

The SFG ferrite LE8T-H is the technically superior model. I would not be at all surprised if you could find someone to tell you that JBL lied and the original alnico really was better than SFG ferrite dispite their claims to the contrary.

It is doubtful though that the typical end user would ever know the difference.

I compared a D208 and a D208H back when the switch to SFG ferrite was made and I personally couldn't hear a difference. All that means is that I personally couldn't hear a difference. Lucky me!