PDA

View Full Version : Alesis M-EQ 230

Val
05-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I just picked up an Alesis M-EQ 230 at a neighborhood garage sale for a cool $20. Power's up fine but I've not run signal through it yet. Two channels, 31 bands, unbalanced signal path. Per manual: HARMONIC DISTORTION .004% @ 1KHz @ 0dBV. Sounds too good to be true. I'm hoping to hook it up today.

Any opinions on this one?

1audiohack
05-19-2013, 12:05 AM
I have two, one in my bedroom system and one on the shelf. There's definitely better, and definitely worse units. Working properly they are dead quiet and certainly worth more than what you paid for that one. The power supply costs that much.

Have fun!:)

Val
05-19-2013, 12:38 PM

I plan to! Your comments are helpful. I started playing around with it yesterday and it seems to work well.

Fort Knox
05-29-2013, 03:25 AM
I have two, one in my bedroom system and one on the shelf. There's definitely better, and definitely worse units. Working properly they are dead quiet and certainly worth more than what you paid for that one. The power supply costs that much.

I stacked two together ..the second for the 10th oct on some A7's
quiet ..they are...and phase in perfect.....

DavidF
05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Yep, I too use one. No issues of note. Used to modify the bass response, though, so I don't use any bands above 150 Hz.

Fort Knox
05-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Yep, I too use one. No issues of note. Used to modify the bass response, though, so I don't use any bands above 150 Hz.

I did the same thing
If your using bass to Midas-ize harsh freqs...
try using the whole 30 1/3 oct trimmers method
you'll need a Radio Shack db meter
And a test cd (2011 delwoman's treasures www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com))
(it's got all the EQ freqs):)

voice of theatr
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
I use one with my Altec Model 19's. I bought it brand new in the 90's and it's been extremely reliable--never had any problems with it. It's a great sounding EQ IMHO. Very clean and quiet and the 1/3 octave setup is great for fine tuning your sound. I use it mainly for a subtle bass enhancement....

Fort Knox
06-14-2013, 06:00 PM
I compared a Digital to these Alesis analog units...
Although digtal has 100 presetable curves....
thee basic nature of the unit was ....harsh:crying:

voice of theatr
06-15-2013, 06:32 AM
The digital unit sounded harsh? Interesting. I've never heard an Alesis digital EQ--thanks for the heads up! I couldn't be more happy with how smooth and natural the analog M-EQ 230 sounds.....

I compared a Digital to these Alesis analog units...
Although digtal has 100 presetable curves....
thee basic nature of the unit was ....harsh:crying:

Fort Knox
06-15-2013, 05:27 PM
The digital unit sounded harsh? Interesting. I've never heard an Alesis digital EQ--thanks for the heads up! I couldn't be more happy with how smooth and natural the analog M-EQ 230 sounds.....

59230I'm running five A7's in a circle surround..fashion
w/2 Alesis in series w/an Alesis MIDIVERB III and the hall effect is unreal..

tuning the system up toke about 4 mo..

voice of theatr
06-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Wow--nice setup! It looks like they have Altec 421 woofers and 811b horns--what h.f. drivers and crossovers do they have? Is that a small port you've added between the horn and woofer/did you tune the cabs to a specific frequency?

59230I'm running five A7's in a circle surround..fashion
w/2 Alesis in series w/an Alesis MIDIVERB III and the hall effect is unreal..

tuning the system up toke about 4 mo..

Fort Knox
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Wow--nice setup! It looks like they have Altec 421 woofers and 811b horns--what h.f. drivers and crossovers do they have? Is that a small port you've added between the horn and woofer/did you tune the cabs to a specific frequency?

The A7's were "Empty Arrival" lashups (installed K140's, 808's... no-X-over
(save for a single 20uf cap on hf horn......)

Cabinets were beat-up (30-40 yrs road rash) but they did have big casters, handles
and four one inch pipe collars bolted to the tops..probably hung @ one pt. or another.
There was "stack 6 - row j" on one cabinet .

Anyway tuning is what they got....EQ, test, EQ, listening test EQ test etc,,
10 to 20 Eq's Extended listening between tests 4 mo. worth at least....
After a while ..I started putting 'PET' names on the octaves:blink:
To make a long story short ...it finally toke 2 Eq's and 46db to get it.......

Fort Knox
07-03-2013, 05:45 AM
Acually it toke +28db.boost .(not 46) of EQ .....to get the 808/811 horn to do 15k..in the A7..
(Of course this did req. a second Equalizer (hooked in series) ..to do the job):)

grumpy
07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
with that much gain (25Vout/Vin), I would be surprised if the 2nd series EQ wasn't clipping fairly often
at normal listening levels if the music program has much in the way of 15KHz energy. I don't recall if
you've mentioned a test system (pink noise, RTA?), but it's possible to keep pushing up eq and not
get more useful output. An oscilloscope function can help identify this sort of problem (sometimes comes
with RTA-like programs).

Fort Knox
07-03-2013, 07:27 AM
with that much gain (25Vout/Vin), I would be surprised if the 2nd series EQ wasn't clipping fairly often
at normal listening levels if the music program has much in the way of 15KHz energy. I don't recall if
you've mentioned a test system (pink noise, RTA?), but it's possible to keep pushing up eq and not
get more useful output. An oscilloscope function can help identify this sort of problem (sometimes comes
with RTA-like programs).

Thanks for commenting
I'm running the second Eq @ 40% into a reverb that seems to like low gain..
as it's running @ 65% on the input ...but as it has "pot" problems anyway,, its fairly clean @65%....
FM seems to have 15k info ...as defeating the 2nd EQ just makes for smaller sound............
the only thing that sounds edgy is "some single edit stuff" but movies are unreal...AND
@ this pt. I don't feel a need for a tweeter

grumpy
07-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Mostly just glad to hear it's working for you :).

It is an unusual configuration, EQ-wise, and seemed worthy of some
discussion for those that might be interested in following suit.

Fort Knox
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM

I've been down the road w/tweeters and this 2 way A7 plays all the complex
stuff that my old Bohemth speaks ...couldn't handle
its all a compromise...

Fort Knox
07-03-2013, 08:16 AM
These Components all sounded clean
but together they were like cats/dogs

Fort Knox
07-05-2013, 05:19 AM
http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/73d86fef84f9c6a155f10444c965454c/file/meq230_manual.pdf
I looked at the EQ manual ....at the clip indicator light function (+18db) I'm not getting that...on either EQ
Is that a good sign...

grumpy
07-05-2013, 09:24 AM
http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/73d86fef84f9c6a155f10444c965454c/file/meq230_manual.pdf
I looked at the EQ manual ....at the clip indicator light function (+18db) I'm not getting that...on either EQ
Is that a good sign...

While that's a good thing, keep in mind that most amps will clip well before reaching an 18dBV input level, unless they have (and you are using) input attenuators.

Fort Knox
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
While that's a good thing, keep in mind that most amps will clip well before reaching an 18dBV input level, unless they have (and you are using) input attenuators.

I am very much interested in ckg distortion levels @ 10 oct
but I don't have the equipment for it
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-Mixers-Synthesizers/Tone-Generator.shtml
think this Tone Generator software would help??

grumpy
07-05-2013, 08:20 PM
That would give you a test signal, you would still need a way to view the output (and a test system that has more voltage headroom than what you want to see, as well as more bandwidth than 20-20KHz if you're viewing spectrum (to see harmonics), a pc based (or real) oscilloscope would be another good tool.
A few years in an EE program wouldn't hurt either ;)

Fort Knox
07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
That would give you a test signal, you would still need a way to view the output (and a test system that has more voltage headroom than what you want to see, as well as more bandwidth than 20-20KHz if you're viewing spectrum (to see harmonics), a pc based (or real) oscilloscope would be another good tool.
A few years in an EE program wouldn't hurt either ;)
Ck out this baby..............
It's a kit solder together runs off USB PORT
theres 3 hyperlinks for software, assy instruction.... pics
I ask for a total price (software download prob. xtra)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120694725023?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I got a sound card w/digital input flexijack (for pc base)
I think I'd need a d/a converter for that though .......right?

grumpy
07-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Looks like a fun kit for learning about electronics.

Fort Knox
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Looks like a fun kit for learning about electronics.

Yah...I'd look like one of those old Geezers .......sitting in a retirerment home:blink:
trying to put together a 10,000 pc crossword puzzle??
maybe ...I should take up basket weaving or stuff envelopes:D

Fort Knox
07-08-2013, 06:46 AM
with RTA-like programs).
Assuming I got distortion .........I cranked down the EQ gains to -8db
and the Signal indicator LED's..... (EQ)......started flashing
Result was..... Hall 1,2,3,4 reverb.... became clear clear.......
long decay ..........sounds like a sea of music...
Overmodulated... music is easy to hear...sounds fake
good advice Grump:)

Fort Knox
07-17-2013, 04:41 AM

With a close eye on the Signal LED'S & Clip LED's.... (irregardless of trim positions)....sound (w/2 EQ setup)
has improved ... dramatically.. (for the A7's) ....from the previous distortion levels..
listening tests of local FM stations demonstrates ...the biggest single fix...

Fort Knox
07-24-2013, 07:44 AM
With a close eye on the Signal LED'S & Clip LED's.... (irregardless of trim positions)....sound (w/2 EQ setup)
has improved ... dramatically.. (for the A7's) ....from the previous distortion levels..
listening tests of local FM stations demonstrates ...the biggest single fix...

These Alesis units are quiet enough (my exper.) to run an A7 thru all 10 Octives..
The first unit reduces the sound to 1/2 harsh
The second reduces sound to smooth...
All 30 freq's are metered Flat (req. lots of vol. knob)..except for
1k to 6k ....(8 trimmers) ...freqs are bumped up 2db for the ...room..
Otherwise all freqs are left FLAT on the meter..read
The A7 is so efficient it can take an Eq beating w/no problem./
the 811 makes for a big tweeter...but... there's no x-over (save for a 20uf cap)
and the two (hf/lf) horns are pretty much indistinguishable.....at x/o (indistinguishable.....@x/o)
so the overall sound effect is..,,pretty cool

Fort Knox
08-14-2013, 09:37 AM
These Alesis units are quiet enough (my exper.) to run an A7 thru all 10 Octives..
The first unit reduces the sound to 1/2 harsh
The second reduces sound to smooth...
All 30 freq's are metered Flat (req. lots of vol. knob)..except for
1k to 6k ....(8 trimmers) ...freqs are bumped up 2db for the ...room..
Otherwise all freqs are left FLAT on the meter..read
The A7 is so efficient it can take an Eq beating w/no problem./
the 811 makes for a big tweeter...but... there's no x-over (save for a 20uf cap)
and the two (hf/lf) horns are pretty much indistinguishable.....at x/o
so the overall sound effect is..,,pretty cool
After reading about the.. "Revel Rythym subwoofer" ... and it's integral digital eq/elect x-over/amp
I (ruffly spkg) mimicked it by adding yet ....another EQ (digital Alesis EQ) and Carver PM700 Bass am
(that's a separate leg from the main sys)....via SUB OUT on 5 ch Gemini preamp....
(results..Inital impression...clean).....

Fort Knox
09-02-2013, 08:23 PM
After reading about the.. "Revel Rythym subwoofer" ... and it's integral digital eq/elect x-over/amp
I (ruffly spkg) mimicked it by adding yet ....another EQ (digital Alesis EQ) and Carver PM700 Bass am
(that's a separate leg from the main sys)....via SUB OUT on 5 ch Gemini preamp....
(results..Inital impression...clean).....
After more listening..........
My old sub (from the 80's) never sounded so good
nor did I think it ever could ..but a simple add. of an (in-line) digital EQ
made a fun differance..the sound is new
Try it out ..if you haven't already:)

Fort Knox
06-27-2014, 03:54 AM
with RTA-like programs).
just for the record......radical return to a more NORMAL EQ was attained by simply
wing paneling entire wall. (frt and rear spkrs) ....sound field focused in sweet....

Fort Knox
12-31-2014, 09:19 AM
just for the record......radical return to a more NORMAL EQ was attained by simply
wing paneling entire wall. (frt and rear spkrs) ....sound field focused in sweet....

Wing Paneling Entire wall ..means I now have 2 (120' sq) walls (wg/pnls) facing ea other..
(like an inner room ...designed for a sound.. )
w/surface mt. A7's in ea side firing back and forth to create a unique sound field..
(both walls come alive as part of the speaker baffle ext. (and refct. from opp. wall)
Adding Reverb further brings out recorded reverb info and puts you right in there
depending on how you control the reverb type.....
(this arrangement also seams to block out outside distraction ......and the old
room is (was) the worst possible listening place.... w/duct work, pipes electric and a stairway
up ...which now ..seams invisible..in the new mix........FK