PDA

View Full Version : 4430's thinking of adding 2405h's to add some sizzle...good idea?...how?

RobD8870
05-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Have thought about adding some 2405s to give me the high end I've been missing somewhat with the 4430's. I know very little about crossovers active or passive. I know what they do. I know why they are needed. But to design one or operate an active one effectively would not happen. From what I have gathered the best way to go sound quality wise is passive. Is there existing JBL crossovers that would work for this purpose? Any that aren't almost impossible to get your hands on?? If not what would be the best way to proceed...that's if you agree with this idea in the first place???

Also I have some 2245hs that I intend on building two enclosures for and using for audio and home theater duty. Plan on tuning down 20-22hz. What is the best way to incorporate the subwoofer with my existing setup. I cycle speakers and want to use the woofer with multiple different sets. I intend to have a separate amp for each sub. Not sure what is the best way to approach something like this. I have a lot to learn for sure. I've been reading and really am not clear which direction is best. Would really appreciate anyone's input on anyone of these question/ideas. Thanks in advance!!!:applaud:

ps. I will save the bi amping the 4430s and options 5235card 18db slope vs ?????? questions for some other time. Like I said some other time...sooo DON'T READ THIS!! Hmmm I probably should have laid that out in front of the ps. Ahhhh...Two tears in a bucket **** it;-) :nutz:;)

Ruediger
05-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Get yourself a frequency generator or a CD with test tones. Verify with the 2405 up to which frequency your ears still work. Repeat the check with the 4430. Will there be any audible difference? There will be a negative impact at the crossover frequency. Is it worth it?

ruediger

RobD8870
05-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback Ruediger. That's great advice. I will check that out.

Get yourself a frequency generator or a CD with test tones. Verify with the 2405 up to which frequency your ears still work. Repeat the check with the 4430. Will there be any audible difference? There will be a negative impact at the crossover frequency. Is it worth it?

ruediger

Mr. Widget
05-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Get yourself a frequency generator or a CD with test tones. Verify with the 2405 up to which frequency your ears still work. Repeat the check with the 4430. Will there be any audible difference? There will be a negative impact at the crossover frequency. Is it worth it?In the case of simply tacking on a 2405, or any competent tweeter for that matter, I think you have a point. That said, even though I can only "hear" to about 15KHz these days, I can still "hear" the difference between the top end of a 4430 and the top end of a properly designed system using a quality tweeter. There is less strain or harshness in the system with the tweeter.

Widget

4313B
05-21-2013, 08:28 AM
I can still "hear" the difference between the top end of a 4430 and the top end of a properly designed system using a quality tweeter. There is less strain or harshness in the system with the tweeter.Which would be a clue to go out and purchase a properly designed system. ;)

Let's face it, JBL effed up on the 4430 and 4435. Dump them and move on.

grumpy
05-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Yes, they're absolutely horrid... send me their useless carcasses to hold my carpet down. :rotfl:

4313B
05-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Yes, they're absolutely horrid... send me their useless carcasses to hold my carpet down. :rotfl:I like that! See the good in the bad! :yes:

spkrman57
05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes, they're absolutely horrid... send me their useless carcasses to hold my carpet down. :rotfl:

I would have loved to try a 2226 in place of the 2235 and raise the x-over up to 1.6 Khz and see what that modifed 4430 would sound like.

In their stock form they are great rock and roll spkrs. I did not like what they did for classical though.

Great vintage spkrs. If I did not already have too many spkrs I would love to have a pair for R and R.

Ron sends...

4313B
05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
1.6 kHz?

That would defeat the purpose of Keele's horn design. The crossover was specifically set to 1 kHz as defined in the Technical Article.

I'd personally like to hear a 4430/4435 system with a proper Mg or Be diaphragm. Or just get the M2 with the Saran Wrap diaphragms. :rotfl:

Anyway, as for adding a slot, perhaps one solution is to use a miniDSP set to a 48 dB/octave high pass along with a little chip amp hooked up directly to the slot. They really don't need more than a few watts, if that.

spkrman57
05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
1.6 kHz?

That would defeat the purpose of Keele's horn design. The crossover was specifically set to 1 kHz as defined in the Technical Article.

I'd personally like to hear a 4430/4435 system with a proper Mg or Be diaphragm. Or just get the M2 with the Saran Wrap diaphragms. :rotfl:

Since I've had experience with that range it would have been a nice experiment to try though.

I'm also trying to see what 2" Mg drivers are out there that won't break the bank and available.

Ron sends...

Mr. Widget
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Let's face it, JBL effed up on the 4430 and 4435. Dump them and move on.Now, now... I do imagine when they were first introduced with brand new 2421 drivers they probably sounded quite a bit smoother than their titanium cousins.

Widget

grumpy
05-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Lest anyone take this personally... I thoroughly enjoy the 4430's I have in my living room...
and need to get off my butt and put the 2421A's I bought from Dr. Geddes years ago in place
of the Ti drivers so see if that kicks things up a notch. Caveat: I don't listen at very loud
levels, so at least some of the complaints heard about the 1" driver in this system being
stressed haven't applied in my normal listening situation (or I'm deaf or immune :) ).

4313B
05-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Now, now... I do imagine when they were first introduced with brand new 2421 drivers they probably sounded quite a bit smoother than their titanium cousins.They were definitely a step up from the 43xx series they replaced.
2421A's I bought from Dr. Geddes years agoI didn't realize that you ended up with his 2421's. I picked up the 2235H's from his house. I don't remember who ended up with the horns and enclosures. Geddes told me he bought those 4430's from John Eargle.

grumpy
05-21-2013, 02:36 PM
They were definitely a step up from the 43xx series they replaced.I didn't realize that you ended up with his 2421's. I picked up the 2235H's from his house. I don't remember who ended up with the horns and enclosures.

Geddes told me he bought those 4430's from John Eargle.

I was told the same, so they're semi-precious to me. Mismatched back cans and all.