PDA

View Full Version : Need advice building JBL 4435 Grills

DonBocadillo
05-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Hi all!

I recently acquired a pair of 4435's and am about the embark on a restoration project on them. They cames without grills so I am looking for any kind of schematic i can lay may hands on and advice with regards to materials. Is MDF suitable/ preferred? Also does anyone have access to any JBL monitor blue grill cloth or a suitable substitute?

All input is welcome!!

Thanks!

1audiohack
05-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Hi Don;

Welcome to Lansing.

I have an original pair of 4435's in my office. I will measure up the frames tonight after work and post the dimensions including edge breaks and radius'. I've never looked at them studiously but I'm pretty sure they're MDF or partical board.

All the best,
Barry.

subwoof
05-10-2013, 07:31 AM
I also have a pair that need grills and will be making sets for them and the 4425's here. I have found that using select #1 white pine and using lapped joints makes for a MUCH more durable and staple/glue friendly frame than particleboard.

You can paint them with oil-based paint before assembly and if needed later in life, take them into the shower to clean without worry..:)

If you have cats you will KNOW what I mean...

barry - send me dims and I'll make an estimate.

sub

jblbgw_man
05-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Hope these CAD drawings help .... the original material looks like high density particle board to me not MDF ........cheers Peter

1audiohack
05-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Cool!

Thank you, saved me some work. :)

DonBocadillo
05-10-2013, 07:11 PM
thanks for getting back to me guys this is very useful! i will be getting all the woofers reconed, and the crossovers recapped and controls cleaned. I'm also considering sending the cabinets to a local wood shop to be re-veneered... Now the million $$$ question does anyone know where to get any 'Monitor Blue' speaker cloth???

mech986
05-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I also have a pair that need grills and will be making sets for them and the 4425's here. I have found that using select #1 white pine and using lapped joints makes for a MUCH more durable and staple/glue friendly frame than particleboard.

You can paint them with oil-based paint before assembly and if needed later in life, take them into the shower to clean without worry..:)

sub

Sub, will you have some 4425 grille frames available, I could use a few of them.

Hope these CAD drawings help .... the original material looks like high density particle board to me not MDF ........cheers Peter

Very nice!

As for the grille cloth, SAEMAN, now another name used to have some but IIRC, he is out of that now. He did have the manufacturer info after Zilch found it and transferred it to SAEMAN before he passed away.

mech986
05-14-2013, 10:48 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30261-JBL-Blue-and-Black-Grille-Cloth-(2011)&highlight=blue+grill+cloth

We really need to find out how much it is to order a minimum 500 yards and get some more made from the OEM mill before they go out of business.

Haven't seen SAEMAN around much but he did check in in March so let's hope he see's this.

DonBocadillo
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm interested too...dont have the technical skills or tools to do it myself...

sub

DonBocadillo
05-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Agree...! is this something we could find out from JBL Pro service? ie. who the supplier is?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?30261-JBL-Blue-and-Black-Grille-Cloth-(2011)&highlight=blue+grill+cloth

We really need to find out how much it is to order a minimum 500 yards and get some more made from the OEM mill before they go out of business.

Haven't seen SAEMAN around much but he did check in in March so let's hope he see's this.