PDA

View Full Version : JBL L100 L pads and caps

Christowp
05-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Hi
I live in South Africa and have been using these wonderful speakers for a while now. My Lpads (attenuators) are shot on the mid range of the left speaker and the tweeter on the right speaker and I suspect the caps might need to be replaced in the crossover given the age of the speakers. I am also trying to buy replacement binding posts. My problem is the distance and time difference from USA. My bids never win on ebay because it gets to early morning here when auctions close. Buying stuff like L pads from Madisound and others I find that the postage costs are up to three times the cost of items putrchased.

There are very few JBL L 100 owners in the country here and none of them are on the local Hi - fi forum.

I need ideas for replacement L pads - are the madisound 50W ,8 ohm with 3/4 inch shaft the best to get and do the caps repalcement really get the sound back to specification so to speak? Do replacing the old binding posts alter the sound or is it OK to replace with some other 5 way binding post? I read somewhere folks were often dissapointed when replacing original binding posts because ot altered the sound negatively.

Hope to get some feedback and suggestions

Regards

BMWCCA
05-07-2013, 05:01 AM
I read somewhere folks were often dissapointed when replacing original binding posts because ot altered the sound negatively.

I don't see how that would happen. Even a klutz installation would be an improvement! Pick your posts and do a proper installation and the sound should never be worse than what you have now. :dont-know:

Christowp
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks for your response - yes I changed the binding posts and it sounds great - no negative impact in my case. The Madisound L pads are now out of stock so I am still not sorted in this respect. Will try ebay again but I would prefer new L pads so I hope they get stock soon. I have saved enough money to pay the exorbitant postage costs to South Africa from US.

Odd
07-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Parts Express (http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-l-pads/306), should have those in stock.