PDA

View Full Version : 4425 with 2213?

Mostlydiy
05-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Hello,

I might be able to come by a pair of 4425. The thing is that the original 2214 has been exchanged with the white cone 2213. The drivers do have quite different parameters and I would be surprised if they adjusted the cross over. Whats your thoughts on this. Is the drivers more or less interchangable in regard of overall tonal quality or is it a bad match? I think the 2213 would need a different box tuning and might be a bit to much on the bass side with less dynamics in the bass range. I guess I could borrow them initially and get a feeling of what they sound like. If i like them I might use them as rear channel in my HT setup.

/Mostly

badman
05-03-2013, 08:55 AM
You could put a 2213 in the cabs but then it wouldn't be a 4425, not to mention the ridiculous amount of crossover rework you'd need to do. There's a huge sensitivity gap, for starters. If you just "plug and play" it in, it'll sound horrible, anemic, and worse than the cheapest speaker at Best buy.

Sound pretty negative? It is. And without a skilled crossover designer and a pretty big budget (It's hard to attenuate the horns THAT much without them sounding dull), you'll wind up with a terrible system.

Better and cheaper to get the right stuff.

Mostlydiy
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
I figured as much. I bet the surrounds cracked because of age and instead of mending it, they just changed driver and accepted the result. To bad the 2214 is so hard to find. Been searching local ads for JBL stuff fore some time(years) and never came across the 2214.

/Mostly

herve M
05-05-2013, 12:40 PM
In deutschland, the forum member Guido

http://www.behringer-electric.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=142

Mostlydiy
05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Thank you Herve,

Im going to try a different route to accuire the original driver but might consider your suggestion if I dont succed.

/Mostly