PDA

View Full Version : Displacement of horns and drivers

BeDome
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I have seen displacements for most larger low frequency drivers, but I am curious to know if anyone has ever compiled a listing or spreadsheet of the displacements of high frequency horns and their related drivers as they would relate to internal enclosure volume.

I have done a search here but found nothing.

If not, anyone have any better ideas than using a "known" displacement container and pouring sand around a plastic wrapped horn and driver combo, removing it and then CAREFULLY measuring as you re-fill the container?

:(

louped garouv
04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
some folks think that the volume lost in bracing and components is gained virtually through
the use of insulation...

Lee in Montreal
04-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Calculate area (Pi x R^sq) and multiply by length. That should give you the volume of a specific compression driver.

grumpy
04-25-2013, 05:09 PM
If it's a large/deep horn, I'd just approximate or baffle it off internally...
tuning will be off no matter how close you estimate volumes and will likely
require adjustment (stuffing and/or port length).

BeDome
04-26-2013, 05:27 AM
If it's a large/deep horn, I'd just approximate or baffle it off internally...
tuning will be off no matter how close you estimate volumes and will likely
require adjustment (stuffing and/or port length).

I am building some Home Theater left and right fronts to fit my constrained space requirements. I do not want to completely change the living room decorating scheme (dramatically affecting WAF) just to use my JBLs again.

So I may just do this anyway, using the internal baffle to add further support to the 2370 horns and compromise on the internal volume of the Low Frequency section. Right now I am very roughly calculating half of two horns and drivers, juxtaposed for a volume, as if I was squaring a simple triangle and taking half to attain a volume figure.
It seems as I am calculating that with the horns mounted internally, required bracing, fairly large port, I will have just under 4 cubic feet to support an E140 for lows.

I have a prototype built and it sounds pretty good, but once I decide to crank these babies, I am concerned I may need an additional brace or two.

Common sense tells me to compromise on absolutely following recommendations and use these E140s in about a roughly 3.3 cubic foot enclosure, retuning the port into a slot and and simply continue to make them fit in the space I have.

I don't need 40Hz out of my fronts, really, since I am already using a fairly impressive, biamped sub woofer system for LFE.

My center is already in action, using two E110s and a 2370/2425 combo, tuned to about 70Hz and heavily stuffed. I am very pleased with this result.

(Yes, I am bringing some leftovers from my old sound reinforcement system into the house to play movies through. :bouncy:)

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.