PDA

View Full Version : JBL horns

thredayevt
10-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Hello,

I recently acquired 4 JBL horns: (1) 2410, (1) 2420, and (2) 2440's. These are the compression drivers with the attached horn. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of an enclosure I could build to utilize some of these horns. I was thinking of building a box with a 12" driver or two, and adding in one or two of these horns. Would this work? Also, what speakers did JBL use these drivers/horns in? Could I just mimic those? I guess I could also sell them and buy speakers...but this seems like more fun!

Thanks for the help!

--Jeff

PS: Info can be found here:
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2410.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2420.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2440.pdf

Robh3606
10-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Hello Jeff

Do you know what horns they are??? The horns are very important to how the compression drivers sounds. The 2440's are excellent large format drivers. If it were me I would e-bay the single 2410 and 2420 and purchase 2441 diaphrams for the 2440's. Then you have an excelent pair of drivers to build your system arround. JBL used the 2440/2441 in the 4350/4355 and in their TOL S8 70'S home systems and the Paragon. You may have new or somewhat new diaphrams in place do you have any history on them from the original/previous owner??

Rob:)

thredayevt
10-10-2004, 11:03 AM
The 2440 compression driver is attached to a 2350 horn using a 2328 horn throat. The 2410/2420 are attached to a 2345 horn. I do not know how to tell what model the diaphragm is. Any suggestions? I know that these speakers were used for reinforcement in a theatre. Other than that, I have no history.

Once I figure out what model diaphragm I have, what do I do next? The 4350/4355 seem a bit....huge. Do you have schematics or designs for the 4350, 4355, TOL S8, or Paragon? Actually, does anyone have a design for any speaker that could utilize the 2440?

Thanks for the help!

--Jeff

speakerdave
10-10-2004, 11:28 AM
You've got some good drivers there, so you are off to a good start if you want to build some speakers. If you want to build some speakers you must learn a lot about it in general before you can begin making decisions about what to do specifically. Your questions are so general that there really is no way any of us could answer them. There is a search engine on this forum site; there is a library here, and there are resources on vintage products at the jbl pro web site.

The 2410 and 2420 are not a pair, as you have probably gathered from noticing their difference in size. You could begin by selling them one at a time on ebay. I would separate the 2345 horns and try to sell them as a pair, although you may not get much for them.

All the horns you mentioned are generally considered unsuitable for livingroom speakers where you will be sitting close because they are designed to throw sound out into a big space. JBL has made other horns for your 2440 drivers which would be more appropriate.

Keep the pair of 2440. Many consider this driver to be the ne plus ultra of midrange drivers. Most of the same folks would say one should retrofit the 2441 diaphragm. You can figure out what diaphragms it has by taking off the rear cap and looking at them. If you do that you will probably find that the foam damping pad inside the rear cover is turning to dust, unless the drivers have been maintained.

If you are going to make the 2440 the center of you speaker project study the current thread called Thanks for the Help; that will give you a good sense of what lies ahead of you.

Good luck!

David

Robh3606
10-10-2004, 11:42 AM
The 2440 has a single roll compliance that looks just like the foam "C" surround found on most woofers. The 2441 has a Diamond pattern around the edge. I will attach a picture to show you what the surround looks like. It is not a 2441 diaphram. If you have never taken one of these apart take your time and watch the the magnetic field. It is extremely strong so be careful Especially with the back off the driver. Keep the cover screws and anything else well away with the back off the driver. One slip and you can loose the diaphram due to damage. Do not touch the diaphram as they are about 2-3 mils thick and very easy to damage. As far a speakers take a look in the Library to get an idea. Not to confuse you but the 2440 and the 375 compression driver in the S8 system link I posted are the same driver just different designations. The 2440 is the Pro the 375 is the Home.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1973-home/page21.jpg

scott fitlin
10-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Keep the pair of 2440. Many consider this driver to be the ne plus ultra of midrange drivers. Most of the same folks would say one should retrofit the 2441 diaphragm. You can figure out what diaphragms it has by taking off the rear cap and looking at them. If you do that you will probably find that the foam damping pad inside the rear cover is turning to dust, unless the drivers have been maintained

It is the Ne plus ultra!

:D

thredayevt
10-10-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm thinking that it might be easier to sell these drivers, and buy a pair of control or reference monitors. It seems to be beyond a college kid's budget to buy all the components necessary to build a speaker that would sound good in my living room.

Thanks for the help though!! I think I'll start looking for 4310/11/12, or 4410/4412 in my area (maryland). I know this is outside the topic of this post, but is a 160WPC receiver capable of running these speakers listed above (kenwood kr-9600)?

Thanks again!

--Jeff

Alex Lancaster
10-10-2004, 01:45 PM
More than ample, and I would get the 4412's, also the discontinued S312 II home, or the powered sub S412 II, come up cheap on eBay and IMO sound good.

Robh3606
10-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Well I can understand. A 160wpc amp will be just fine but remember there is more than one way to skin a cat. You already have the midrange driver and horns. I assume they are working?? If so you need crossovers and bass drivers and tweeters and of course cabinets. If you bought cores that could be reconned as say 2235's it is the cost of the cores plus about $120 each plus shipping. So figure about $350 for the bass drivers.

By cores here are a pair right here.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3439

The crossovers you can get schematics for and build from components usually cheaper than you can get the stock crossovers for. Still leaves you suitable tweeter which for 2405's would run about $250 for a used pair however you can get lucky and get them for less than $200. Now the cabinets are another issue especially if you don't have to tools or basic wood working tools. If you have friends that do you are OK. As you can see there is a lot involved. If you want to sell you could try in our market place forum or put them up on E-Bay. Good luck on what road you decide. 4412's are very nice!

Rob:)

Guido
10-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by thredayevt
I'm thinking that it might be easier to sell these drivers
Thanks again!

--Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Could you post a pic of the 2440s'? If you decide to sell them I might be interested. Please let me know!

Guido