PDA

View Full Version : JBL SE-402 Energizer Install Troubleshooting

script56
04-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Hello. I have searched the forum, but have not found any threads on this subject. I have a JBL SE-401/402 Energizer amplifier. I was going to test it with my ipod to see how it sounded. I hooked up the ipod with RCA cables and one speaker to channel A. All I get is a buzzing noise from speaker. I tried both channels, same sound. No music. The serial number on the front does not light up, so it seems the amp is ok. Any ideas on how to get it working would be appreciated.

hjames
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Hello. I have searched the forum, but have not found any threads on this subject. I have a JBL SE-401/402 Energizer amplifier. I was going to test it with my ipod to see how it sounded. I hooked up the ipod with RCA cables and one speaker to channel A. All I get is a buzzing noise from speaker. I tried both channels, same sound. No music. The serial number on the front does not light up, so it seems the amp is ok. Any ideas on how to get it working would be appreciated.

Is this amp new to you?
Because these are OLD pieces of equipment, its quite likely some kind of servicing would be in order before you could expect to get output from them.
Often with old gear like that capacitors age and change value, original transistors may have failed long ago.

I did find a thread about someone getting a (newer) model 408S repaired -

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?1515-SE408S-Transducer-Energizer-Failing

It had a link to a manual at
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics/JBL-SE400S_SE408S.pdf

Maybe some of that info will be helpful to you?

Ah, found another thread referencing the 402 Energizer with the Metregon speaker, and says

"The SE 402 is a germanium amplifier. Do not use it without having it checked out by a qualified technician."

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28945-Specs-for-a-Metregon-C45-with-SE-402-Solid-State-Energiser-Transducer-and-LX-5-s

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/jbl/photos/wolf-photos/se400-front.jpg

script56
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Yes it's new to me. I know it's the amp because I tried it without iPod hooked up.

hjames
04-09-2013, 05:11 PM

Hmm - have you EVER heard good sound through this amp?
I'm not sure why the amp NOT lighting up means its ok ...

Yes it's new to me.
I know it's the amp because I tried it without iPod hooked up.

Like the person said in the other thread I linked for you, you might want to have someone
check the amp out for you and see if its working correctly.

Good luck with your project.

Mannermusic
04-10-2013, 07:22 AM
These amps were an example of an early solid state attempt for power amps. About 25 wpc as I recall. It was a clever design, well thought out, but, well, it didn't sound very good. Those early transistors were not so hot. Hard, grainy - hard to live with if you were used to a Marantz 8B. They faded from view rapidly (in these parts, at least) once the Crown D series appeared. Had one with my old 030 system. Mike

script56
04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
It looks pretty easy to replace the big caps on these amps. Just two wires that need to be soldered. I read that that was the problem with someone's amp from the thread that you attached to this one. Anyone ever had experience doing this?

hjames
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
It looks pretty easy to replace the big caps on these amps. Just two wires that need to be soldered. I read that that was the problem with someone's amp from the thread that you attached to this one. Anyone ever had experience doing this?

Go for it!

I've had great luck with modern amps and have no need for a vintage plate amp like that.

script56
10-30-2013, 04:17 PM
I have a new SE-401 where the sound slowly faded over a few days. Can anyone help me how to find out what caps, transistors or resistors need replacing?