PDA

View Full Version : Working but beat up K120. How to save ...

BeDome
04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I have K120 that was forgotten in my father's shop for ten years while my brother executed his estate and eventually auctioned off his remaining instruments.

This thing was crushed into foam rubber, stuffed into a box and set aside with the cone bent.

It still works! It is all original!! No rubbing, but it looks like a crooked asssss! Is there a way to relieve the built up stress?

I am wondering if I set this thing resonating at low Hz and wash the surround and spider with acetone??

Will acetone release the glue and allow the moving mass to correct its own alignment?

Maybe water would be enough ...

Any hope short of a recone?

Did I mention this is an original mid seventies piece that still functions. I just want to save it .

04-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Water. Support the frame magnet up so the cone can move and spray the back of the cone. You may need to really soak the paper, so face down is best to make sure the magnet does not get wet. Last thing you want is rust! Keep a 30Hz tone on it to keep the coil centered, and you may just save it.

macaroonie
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
A couple of pics would help. Sometimes the dings will come out in time but certainly the 30Hz will help free it up.
Paint the water on and be very cautious in your application. One coat and let it soak in see what happens.

Good luck M

BeDome
04-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Amazingly, I sponged the cone down a little at a time and let it set for a few minutes, then sparingly spritzed the back of the cone

I then set it moving at 8Hz near maximum Xm.

I watched as gravity and defined motion took over. I ran it that way for two days, nonstop

It has been three days and the cone is dry and stiff and the only evidence is a bit of discoloration where the creases were.

I have saved this awesome driver!!

I will post the serial number as time permits

BeDome
04-20-2013, 02:36 AM
I only used water but I had to really soak the cone.

the problems with the surround were mainly to do with how distorted the cone was.

This feels like a major victory!!

I now have an original K120 on hand (for which I have no use, but ...HEY )

BeDome
06-17-2013, 08:21 AM
The enclosure is just about as small as one could possibly use to mount a 12" driver, but about twenty inches tall. With half of the back open - board centered over the back of the driver, it makes a fabulous base to set my Fender Champ amp on while dinkin' around.

It also sounds amazing with this flea powered amplifier!

Just need some Fender-looking vinyl to finish it off.

06-19-2013, 12:33 AM
The enclosure is just about as small as one could possibly use to mount a 12" driver, but about twenty inches tall. With half of the back open - board centered over the back of the driver, it makes a fabulous base to set my Fender Champ amp on while dinkin' around.

It also sounds amazing with this flea powered amplifier!

Just need some Fender-looking vinyl to finish it off.

You can find the correct grill cloth to match a Fender as well, if you wanted to. Radius the edges and get some chrome corners for it too and it could look just like...

BeDome
06-25-2013, 06:34 AM
You can find the correct grill cloth to match a Fender as well, if you wanted to. Radius the edges and get some chrome corners for it too and it could look just like...

I already had a good size roll of the grille cloth from previous restoration projects, along with about three dozen of the chrome corners. (getting that grille cloth perfectly straight and evenly tensioned is a kind of art, I think - seems to always take me a while!)

Still looking for the proper vinyl, though. Last batch I found was NOT actually the "right BLACK." It actually had a grayish quality to it that would really show up with the lights on.

NO big deal to some about the color, but placing it next to the real thing was annoying to me.

:(

Ordering again, soon.

Thanks!!

Wagner
06-25-2013, 04:55 PM
I already had a good size roll of the grille cloth from previous restoration projects, along with about three dozen of the chrome corners. (getting that grille cloth perfectly straight and evenly tensioned is a kind of art, I think - seems to always take me a while!)

Still looking for the proper vinyl, though. Last batch I found was NOT actually the "right BLACK." It actually had a grayish quality to it that would really show up with the lights on.

NO big deal to some about the color, but placing it next to the real thing was annoying to me.

:(

Ordering again, soon.

Thanks!!

Wonderful news that you saved your Father's speaker!
Contact Steve with any questions regarding color match; GREAT people:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/grill_cloth_tolex_piping?filters=Brand%3DFender

Good luck,
Thomas