PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all, and a question on biamping my 250ti.

Steve250ti
04-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Hello

I have been lurking and thoroughly enjoying all the wonderful information on this fantastic board, and I am hoping someone can help me with biamping my 250ti.

I tried to search old posts for information on biamping the stock N250ti networks, but I could not find any schematics for what is needed to be done.

So my question is:

If I were to separate the LE14H-1 from the stock network and drive it with its own amp, and remove the LE14H-1 low pass components from the N250ti network, would any adjustments have to made to the rest of the N250ti network to compensate for the removed Le14H-1 low pass components?

I would of course be using a active crossover with proper slope and freq. to drive the low and high amps.

Thank you all for any help!

jbl_daddy
04-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Good question, I am also curious. ..

DavidF
04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Hello

I have been lurking and thoroughly enjoying all the wonderful information on this fantastic board, and I am hoping someone can help me with biamping my 250ti.

I tried to search old posts for information on biamping the stock N250ti networks, but I could not find any schematics for what is needed to be done.

So my question is

If I were to separate the LE14H-1 from the stock network and drive it with its own amp, and remove the LE14H-1 low pass components from the N250ti network, would any adjustments have to made to the rest of the N250ti network to compensate for the removed Le14H-1 low pass components?

I would of course be using a active crossover with proper slope and freq. to drive the low and high amps.

Thank you all for any help!

Your plan seems workable to me assuming you will biamp between the woofer and low mid on the passive network. You will use an active filter for the woofer roll off and use the passive networks above the woofer. The active xover should have gain control to align the overall system response. I agree in removing the electrical connections for the low pass.

When you mention using the proper slopes on the woofer section, I was curious if that meant 6 dB slope as used in the passive?

Don C
04-07-2013, 11:37 AM
If you just remove the low pass filter that's in the LE14 circuit, you will still have the same low and high pass circuits installed in the 108H circuit. That has a high pass filter at 400hz. You don't want that in the circuit because the active filters will be doing this job. Depending on your active crossover frequency, you could end up with a hole in the frequency response, or two filters working at the same frequency, giving odd filter shape. As a experiment, you could bypass the filters on the LE14, then run with your active crossover set to 500hz or higher to remove the music in the 400-500hz range before it gets to the passive crossover. That's probably not the best crossover frequency for an LE14 though.

rdgrimes
04-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Or just buy a boatload of watts to feed the 250ti and leave the crossovers alone. :coolness: Then enjoy the music. :spin:

I'd add that refurbishing the existing XO might be a worthy cause. I guess I'm someone who hates to see something like a 250ti getting futzed with even for noble purposes. Please don't do anything that can't be un-done easily.

Robh3606
04-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Here is something I did a few years back. I made a pair of L250ti Jubilee clones that were biamp only. Take a look at the thread it might help you. If you have any questions post them and will help you where I can

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?21421-Biamped-L250ti-Jubilee-Clone&highlight=l250ti+jubilee

Rob:)