PDA

View Full Version : Altec Model 19 for home theater?

wyan
04-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi,

I came across a pair of Model 19 and am tempted. The only place it can fit is my living room. Since they are huge, it will serve both in my HIFI and home theater system. I am pretty sure I will love it as HIFI speakers since I listen to a lot of vocals. The question is, will they serve as great main speakers for a 5.1 home theater system? Can they handle the dynamics in action movies? (Don't want to see anything on the speakers blown off during the actions) Thanks a lot.

WYAN

Mr. Widget
04-06-2013, 11:09 AM
The question is, will they serve as great main speakers for a 5.1 home theater system? Can they handle the dynamics in action movies? (Don't want to see anything on the speakers blown off during the actions) Thanks a lot.Not a problem... as long as you use a sub and do not feed them LFE content. Your biggest challenge will be finding an appropriate center channel speaker to mate with them.

Widget

wyan
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Not a problem... as long as you use a sub and do not feed them LFE content. Your biggest challenge will be finding an appropriate center channel speaker to mate with them.

Widget

Widget,

Thanks. I've already had a center, Altec 844A, also a VOTT monitor. :bouncy: It has been great. I asked since 19 seems to be more hifi oriented and too expensive to blow. :banghead:

WYAN

martin_wu99
04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Hi,

I came across a pair of Model 19 and am tempted. The only place it can fit is my living room. Since they are huge, it will serve both in my HIFI and home theater system. I am pretty sure I will love it as HIFI speakers since I listen to a lot of vocals. The question is, will they serve as great main speakers for a 5.1 home theater system? Can they handle the dynamics in action movies? (Don't want to see anything on the speakers blown off during the actions) Thanks a lot.

WYAN
Nothing to worry about,dynamics is one of the Model 19 characteristic:D

grumpy
04-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Here's a matching center :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTEC-LANSING-MODEL-19-NINETEEN-SPEAKER-ONE-VERY-NICE-CONDITIONSEE-DETAILS-/151025259287

not often does a single come up...