PDA

View Full Version : eBay 2118s

winslow
04-02-2013, 05:20 PM
There has been a glut of 2118s on eBay from one particular seller at good prices. I bought a set, didn't feel right about them and returned them.

Anyone seen them? Are they legit? The frames have all been milled down smaller (to nearly the mounting holes) and the cones are glossy even though they are aged/faded. Reason I ask this and why I retuned mine was that I had never seen any anywhere else that remotely looked like these. The seller has added since I bought and returned mine that they have correct JBL cone kits in them.

And I asked the seller about all of this, and of course they had no information about it.

Just didn't seem right to me.

JeffW
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Not sure about the different frames, mine have the brushed aluminum ring outside the surround. The "woven" look of the cones is similar to mine, but mine (and the dustcaps) are not shiny. It's possible these might have been coated with a waterproof coating for running outside, I guess.

At any rate, seems like there are always 2118s on eBay, with the aluminum ringed basket and matte cones.