PDA

View Full Version : Easyli aviable driver for compact 2 or 3 way system

FE3T
03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
I have for a while being playing with JBL 8" drivers.

The goal was a compact 2 or 3 way ported system.
BUT there are no drivers for such a thing aviable.
The 116H-2 are a 30+L driver and the 116H-3 are even worse.

The 2118 can be used for small ported systems, but in reality its a midrange, and should be used as such.

My solution was a 2118 basket with an aftermarket 116H-2 kit installed.
Now we have a driver for 10-15L ported with a sensitivity of 92 db, but with a rising response and a rather boxy sound.

Since my kits was a bit mangled when they arriwed i could experimet a bit with them without really wasting my investment. (after all, the postal service had already taken care of that) the experiment was inspired by JBL`s use of aquaplas. I have no access to aquaplas and the only source i know of such a substance claimed no successfull use on speaker cones, just CD diaphragms.

But i did remember having a couple of cans of Noise Killer blue, wich are a mineral loaded Viscoelastic dampning compound.

Now, with a few grams of this stuff slathered om the backside of my aftermarket kits, i managed to get the drivers within 5% of each other T/S wise (measure, add some more on the lacking driver, measure again, and so on) and suitable for 15-20L ported boxes.

FS 35hz
QTS 0,33
VAS 40L
RE 5.8Ohm
LE 0,78Mh
BL 11,4
SPL 89 db/1W

The cones are now well damped, and seems to behave well in the upper range.
a quick mash up in too small boxes (11L), tuned to high (60hz) with a quick and dirty x over together with a pair of Audax Tw34 tweets, did sound promising.but i guess ill know for sure when i get a pair of 18L cabinets tuned to 42hz made up and a decent x over made.