PDA

View Full Version : JBL C70 Alpha 1's. Need some advice

zakkxx
03-16-2013, 03:27 AM
A set of these came into my possession recently. I knew nothing about them, and was actually going to toss them in a dumpster. At the last minute, someone offered me $500 for the pair. I was floored. I had no idea that these things were worth anything. Anyway, while I considered the offer, I decided to do some research which is why I'm here.

Can anyone shed some light on these things for me? All of the speakers are there. The orange covers are there too. They look in great shape for their age. Have no idea if they work, but, everything is there. The only thing that I can see missing is one of the JBL knobs on the back of the speaker. I have zero use for them, and would like them to go to a good home. Is there any certain thing I should be looking for when taking pictures?? I can post some later today.

Thanks guys.

spkrman57
03-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Would like to see pics of these spkrs pls!

Regards, Ron

zakkxx
03-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Would like to see pics of these spkrs pls!

Regards, Ron

Im working until 330, but I took a bunch of pictures. Ill post uo later today

Mr. Widget
03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Zak... if your interest in these speakers is the hope that you stumbled upon a goldmine and you want to maximize your profit, take the $500 and consider yourself lucky. If you are genuinely curious about a speaker you were planning on tossing that's cool... but don't expect more than $500 for them. I'm actually surprised someone would offer that much, though I think it a fair price.

Basically your speakers are essentially L100s in larger furniture style cabinets with passive radiators instead of tuned ports. No more and no less. Vintage markets being what they are the L100s go for between $300 and $1200 seemingly at random. Your speakers are far more rare but in this case that doesn't make them far more valuable. Just rare.

I hope this helps.

Widget

zakkxx
03-16-2013, 03:57 PM

zakkxx
03-16-2013, 04:03 PM
584255842658427Again, I have no idea if these are desirable. Was just trying to get some more info before I Ebay them. I'm sure they are worth something, and since I didn't pay anything for them, I'm open to offers. I apologize to the Mods if this is in the wrong area. Not trying to peddle them here. Just trying to get a starting point.

Widget...Your probably right. Maybe I should have taken the $500. It just got me wondering why someone, whom Ive never met, would offer me that kind of money for something I was going to toss. All within about an hour of getting them. Made me think they were worth more.

Thanks

HCSGuy
03-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Go find that guy and get his $500. There are other speakers of your vintage (Olympus, Sovereign), that look vaguely similar, but hold much more valuable drivers inside. Unfortunately, you don't have much. Furthermore, you'll probably get more money pulling the parts and selling them individually on Ebay, as freighting those cabinets is too expensive. You'd probably get $375-400 for the drivers and crossovers sold separately on Ebay. As Widget said, what you have is rare, but not valuable.

Don C
03-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Anytime that you can sell speakers like this to a local buyer, you're way ahead. I'd suggest to take the offer.

zakkxx
03-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks a bunch, guys. Talked to the guy this morning. We agreed on $500, but I'm gonna give Ebay one shot and make my reserve $500. If they dont sell, no harm, no foul. He said he will still take them. Thanks for all your help

Mr. Widget
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks a bunch, guys. Talked to the guy this morning. We agreed on $500, but I'm gonna give Ebay one shot and make my reserve $500. If they dont sell, no harm, no foul. He said he will still take them. Thanks for all your helpGood luck... please let us know how it turns out.

Also, if your local buyer gets them... let him know there is this on line community of yahoos that can help him get the most from them.

Widget

zakkxx
03-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Good luck... please let us know how it turns out.

Also, if your local buyer gets them... let him know there is this on line community of yahoos that can help him get the most from them.

Widget

I will!!

Thanks again

BMWCCA
02-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I know; old thread!

But I have a pair of these coming from an original owner who purchased them in 1970. He has had them in storage for over 20-years and wanted them to go to a good home. Best of all, he's delivering them to me from probably over 200-miles away . . . tomorrow!

He's sent pictures of them in their storage area but I'll get some shots of them in daylight for the first time in two decades tomorrow. The owner is an acquaintance from an on-line community dealing with my other favorite topics—cars. Though we've never met, my JBL passion came up in conversation about a year ago and he suggested I might have a good home for these as he downsizes. Of course I volunteered. My wife cringed a little and started shaking her head, but they're arriving tomorrow, anyway!

BMWCCA
02-23-2017, 05:52 PM
The Alphas arrived right on time, delivered in the back of a BMW X4. Nice folks and the speakers were in very good condition considering they've been stored in a garage for 20-years! I took a Crown D75A and some wires and cables to work so I could connect my iPod Classic and see how they sounded. Amazingly everything worked and very little drop-outs from the L-pads on even the first pass.

Not an unpleasant sound and everyone at work was amazed that a speaker 47-years old could sound that good. I didn't bother to tell them this was perhaps the least memorable floor-stander from that era. They came with all the paperwork in the envelopes still stuck on the back. Filled out warranty cards from the selling dealer show a date of March 6, 1970 so they're coming up on a birthday. I told the original owner that I'd be sure to give them a party! Came with the 1969 catalog I already had a copy of, and the manual for this model. Very cool.

Started them out of some Steely Dan "Cousin DuPree" just as Sean Olive would have recommended. They'd make lots of people happy and I know they'll make good stands for the JBL bookshelf units in my speaker-testing room in the new house!

Just what I needed! :banghead:

bldozier
02-23-2017, 09:20 PM
My ears are ringing. Are you refinishing those cabs
im not quick to judge but they look sad to me.
Nice grab by the way.

BMWCCA
02-23-2017, 11:06 PM
My ears are ringing. Are you refinishing those cabs
im not quick to judge but they look sad to me.
Nice grab by the way.One was in the sun more than the other and the finish is in need of assistance. It's oak veneer. Just a minor detail and not really important as they will never be in a main living area. My main system is the 4345, and a backup to those would be the 250ti that rest in their original boxes. They're solid, working, and the price was impossible to beat.

mech986
02-24-2017, 01:52 AM
Would be nice if they sat in the showroom with a nice 2002Tii and the Steely Dan tunes going.

Audiobeer
02-24-2017, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=BMWCCA;402993]One was in the sun more than the other and the finish is in need of assistance. It's oak veneer. Just a minor detail and not really important as they will never be in a main living area. My main system is the 4345, and a backup to those would be the 250ti that rest in their original boxes. They're solid, working, and the price was impossible to beat.[/QUOTE

move back to St. Louis! You own my bucket list speakers.

BMWCCA
02-25-2017, 12:05 AM
move back to St. Louis! You own my bucket list speakers.I have lots of stuff that will eventually pass along to others who will continue to enjoy them. I'm just the custodian for the present. At this stage, and with serendipity of these falling into my lap, I'm just enjoying the ability to audition various new and vintage JBLs in my own home. The ultimate goal would be to have a pair of DD67000 in my home with the 4345s just to be able to enjoy both. And then I'd need the M2, too! So much to live for.

BMWCCA
02-26-2017, 07:59 AM
Are you refinishing those cabsThey are the Russet Oak hand-rubbed lacquer finish (RK) so I think the only route to restoration is sanding and refinishing in lacquer. I'm thinking poly instead of actual lacquer. :dont-know:

Mr. Widget
02-26-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm thinking poly instead of actual lacquer. :dont-know:Why would you want to do that?

Widget

BMWCCA
02-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Why would you want to do that?Easier to work with? :dont-know:
Figured I'd have to spray normal lacquer, but then I found this:
http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/images/large/minwax-clear-brushing-lacquer.webp

Mr. Widget
02-26-2017, 07:09 PM
Easier to work with? :dont-know:
Figured I'd have to spray normal lacquer, but then I found this:
http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/images/large/minwax-clear-brushing-lacquer.webpWhat is this?

I think nitrocellulose lacquer is pretty forgiving and will melt into the original lacquer and typically looks better than the water based solutions.

Widget

BMWCCA
02-26-2017, 10:22 PM
What is this?

I think nitrocellulose lacquer is pretty forgiving and will melt into the original lacquer and typically looks better than the water based solutions.Section 3. Composition/information on ingredients1-Butanol 20.23 71-36-3n-Butyl Acetate 14.63 123-86-4Cellulose Nitrate 10 9004-70-0Methyl n-Amyl Ketone 9.76 110-43-0Diisobutyl Ketone 9.76 108-83-8Xylene 7.7 1330-20-7Acetone 6.34 67-64-12-Propanol 4.29 67-63-0Ethylbenzene 1.36 100-41-4Epoxy Polymer 0.49 25085-99-8

tarior
03-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Those are pretty cool.